Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Steering Wheel Anti-Theft Devices, Do You Use One?

7K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  IrishRifles 
#1 · (Edited)

#3 ·
My godfather is a retired San Diego police officer who, to this day, uses The Club on his truck. He has a very meticulous way of installing it that I've never seen before which requires putting the lock facing away from you and the long end tha sticks out I think he places against the door. I had one for years then I think I sold it with a car.

Anyways, what's wrong with your GPS locator on the car? Are those easy to shut down by experienced thieves?

#5 ·
Twenty seconds with a cordless sawzall will take care of a Club.

#6 ·
^^^^^ it's another 20 seconds +\- that most criminals won't risk, plus the noise etc

#7 ·
Yeah. I worked in a bodyshop in the eighties and early nineties. The thieves used a hacksaw to cut the steering wheels back then. Auto theft was a epidemic here in NYC in that era.

#9 ·
This is why my godfather had us lock the steering wheel with the long end of the club facing a direction where you couldn't move its position. Most people left it movable which is why cutting a small portion out of the steering wheel worked. If you install it correctly, you can't shift its position.

#11 · (Edited)
I know a retired cop that does this exact same setup
I don't own one,but I see why people still use such devices.

#10 · (Edited)
"Less than minute"
so you admit it's an extra step,so you agree with my point?

#29 ·
RAVELCO device practically undefeatable

I had a Ravelco device installed on my last SRT and was very happy with it. So happy that I had it installed on my 2016 SRT Hellcat. I would go as far to say the Ravelco device is undefeatable in the window of time that even the talented, professional car thief needs to steal a vehicle. The manufacturer of the device has claimed that no one has ever reported their device being defeated.

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

#15 ·
As a retired auto damage adjuster, I have seen many defeated Clubs. Like others have said, it only takes a few moments for a thief to cut the wheel. Keep in mind that with modern anti-theft features on today's cars, the method of choice to steal is to simply hook up a wrecker to the back end of your car and drive away. It's done in only seconds and the devices can be defeated at a secure location. Be very aware when parking in public places, especially public transit stations and big box home improvement stores.

#18 ·
Good point
Gps and security systems can help with this

#17 · (Edited)
It's a good idea to store your car in a garage when not driving(keep it out of the elements).......protects paint etc...
But a giant asteroid may crash and hit your garage....so what's the point?
Why bother putting locking wheel nuts on.....any amateur criminal can still take your wheels.....
In some/most cases +\- the above can be a deterrent ....that's all
If you were a criminal and looking to steal a car and had 2 identical cars in a parking lot, except one had the doors gorilla taped shut -the other didn't ( both car doors unlocked with your code grabber already ).....which one r u stealing?
Although I must admit ....I still chuckle in a parking lot while walking by a car with a Club or simalar device installed...
Just a deterrent that's all........not sure if it would fit on challenger...
I couldn't put up with the marks it would create using it.

#20 ·
Back then??, that era?? was??!!
Its ten times worse today!
The city's 100 times more populated than it was back then.
Go park your car at Yankee stadium for a game at 161st street or anywhere else in that area and you are guaranteed to get your car broken into and or stolen outright.
That also goes for anywhere else in that city.
As I said, you can never own anything nice while living in NYC, the street trash scumbags won't allow it.
10 times worse today, Nah I don't think so.

#22 ·
The claw?

I just looked at the video and I see problems.

1. Anything with a key can be picked and any key can be duplicated.
2. The lockbar can be cut with a grinder.
3. The hinge can be attacked.
4. The stamped metal does not appear to be very thick.
5. It is going to be a hassle to install and remove for anything other than occasional use.
6. It looks more suited for a small trailer than it does a car/truck/van/SUV.
7. Anyone with access to a Stinger equipped repo truck can still easily steal the vehicle.

#36 ·
Oh I do think so....

I lived it.
I was born and raised there, spent over three decades in it.
I worked NYPD for 5 years.

Even upstate is gone, all the ****, non-English speaking garbage moved up into neighborhoods that used to be all working class have now been taken over, even your Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, Harrison, Tarrytown, Rye, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, Port Chester, Elmsford and all of Westchester.

I worked all those areas back in the 90's even then they were becoming predominantly, non-English speaking high crime areas. With that degenerate mayor Bill de Blasio reversing all the good mayor Giuliani did for NYC before him and that corrupt, sick bastard Andrew Cuomo putting low income (ghetto projects), housing units all across upstate in exclusive neighborhoods, that state is soon to be another California, more takers than earners.

And let's not forget about the soon to be built tax payer paid, Heroin houses they are going to construct in Ithaca NY.
Places where Heroin junkies can go and shoot up free of charge and be monitored by doctors and nurses so they don't overdose.
Not become a 100 times worse? Yuck... yuck.
Plenty of native-born, English speaking drug using welfare cheats in this country....your biases are showing.

Reactions: yladrd61
#24 ·
Before I retired from law enforcement, I had occasions to accompany repo guys while they were grabbing cars from people who went to efforts of "hiding" the cars. It was pretty amazing to see how fast they could snatch a car. It didn't matter if it was in the driveway in a neighborhood or a busy parking lot of businesses and restaurants, in the middle of the night or the busiest time of day.
The tow trucks are called "snatch trucks" and they can grab a car without ever getting out of the truck and drive off with it.
One of the simplest way to have a little bit of protection is to back the car into parking spaces where they can't get behind it with the tow truck and they can't drag the back wheels. That's not foolproof because determined professionals have dollies than can be slipped under the back wheels so they can be towed from the front.
Not a single soul will bat an eye if they see a tow truck picking up a car.
Nothing's foolproof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.