Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Supercharged 6.1 Hemi?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  firstmethod 
#1 ·
On Chargerforums.com a Dodge salesman posted a thread about the availability of a 6.1 Supercharged Super Bee in 2008. :D

Here is the exact post:

"A rep from Dodge/Chrysler was down the other day going over some new products,and confirmed the Supercharged SRT8 Superbee for 2008.
www.dealerconnect.com this where we learn all the new products coming out. It's for salesman only, if we complete all the courses by a certain time,we get a credit card from chrysler/jeep/dodge,and every time we sell a new vehicle we get a 100.00 on the card...It wasnt a real in-depth training course on the SRT's it was just telling us whats new for 2008....Well I'm not trying to start rumors,these were words out of the man from Dodge's mouth. And they showed us the product preview on line. It wont allow me to print off that site. I have a email to the guy to confirm and I'll post that he has all the power #'s....When he told us the info, I was excited and thought it would be cool to tell you all."

If this is true, I wonder why Dodge would do it since they are working on a production version of the 6.4 Hemi? Could it be that the 6.4 will not be out until 2009 and the Supercharged 6.1 is just a stop-gap measure to compete with the other high performance models of Dodge's competitors? :rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't see them using a s/c as a crutch to hold off the market until the 6.4 comes online. But if they offer it as an option........I wonder how much it would cost. I think I'd rather have the HO motor than the 6.1 with a blower.......that's just more weight added to the front end. Trust me, I know.:eek:

#3 ·
ThisBlood147 said:
I don't see them using a s/c as a crutch to hold off the market until the 6.4 comes online. But if they offer it as an option........I wonder how much it would cost. I think I'd rather have the HO motor than the 6.1 with a blower.......that's just more weight added to the front end. Trust me, I know.:eek:
Another rumor that I have been hearing is that DCX will be installing the MDS (Multi Displacement System) on most of its V8s.

In order to keep up with the competition, could the Challenger R/T come standard with a 6.1 Hemi with MDS and the SRT with a supercharged 6.1 Hemi(without MDS)? :confused:

#4 ·
ThisBlood147 said:
You are not alone.. a lot of people would prefer higher displacement to a supercharger... although a supercharger OPTION would be killer and could be a big seller for the DCX performance division. I would be torn on the option myself. To supercharge or not that is the question.

#5 ·
Since the Charger is due for an update in '09, they could be using the SC to sweeten the pot a little bit on the '08s.

#6 ·
The SRT engineers have dyno tested the 6.1 Hemi using the old J606 rules (i.e., no accessory drives, race fuel, headers, etc.). It produced 467 horsepower at 6000 rpm! Talk about potential!!

(Note: This is the same hp reading that Dodge got when they dyno tested the old 426. However, the new engine is making the same hp using 54 less cubes!).

#7 ·
Cuda340 said:
The SRT engineers have dyno tested the 6.1 Hemi using the old J606 rules (i.e., no accessory drives, race fuel, headers, etc.). It produced 467 horsepower at 6000 rpm! Talk about potential!!

(Note: This is the same hp reading that Dodge got when they dyno tested the old 426. However, the new engine is making the same hp using 54 less cubes!).
This of course begs the question of what the 6.4L is really capable of considering it was race bred whereas the 6.1L wasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.