Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Test drive a SRT 392... It's LOUD

8K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  TurboJim 
#1 ·
I finally got a chance to test drive a 2015 SRT 392 this morning.
At 45 mph, it seems smooth sailing.
At 75 mph, it is too loud. I can't barely enjoy the 18 speakers that came with the car. As much as I love the power from the SRT 392, I wish the car has a quieter drive when cruising.

MSRP is $51,570 (Technology group, 8 Speed Auto, Sunroof, Navigation, Summer tires)
Selling price is $49K plus tax, tag, doc fee

I told the dealer I will sleep on the deal and will let them know by end of this week.

#4 ·
My '15 Charger SRT is definitely louder than my '14 Blacktop was, but I don't find it objectionable. I am surprised that it made it past the Feds, though.

#5 ·
The first thing I said when driving my SRT392 at that speed was "WOW this thing really is quiet". When a friend rode with me (he has a 2012 RT) that was the first thing he said as well. If this is a concern for you I highly suggest you go look at a Cadillac or Lincoln. A MUSCLE car isn't going to be dead silent.

#8 ·
It's not that loud.

The stereo sux....

Reactions: Triz and Hell Ride
#10 ·
I drive Tucson to Phoenix once or twice a week. it's 90 miles each way at 80 mph (posted is 75). In Street mode, the exhaust damper valves are closed, but no MDS because that speed requires about 40-45 HP (per the Performance pages engine info) and it's too much for the MDS to kick in, so I'm running on all 8. The car is so quiet that i usually make business phone calls via the bluetooth and people can's even tell I'm in the car, it's really quiet.
Sometimes I'll kick it into Track mode and that downshifts to 7, opens the exhaust and it sounds great.
Overall, it's a great highway cruiser.

#11 ·
I love the sound of my 2012, tho' I'd like it a drop louder, I never considered an aftermarket exhaust because the slightly additional noise i would like would be too loud. After driving a number of 2015's at the SRT driving experience, I was impressed because I think the sound levels for a stock badass muscle car are perfect. Wonder if a '15 exhaust would fit on my 2012?��

#14 ·
On my 2015 A8, loud mode is pedal-down. Cruising, it's nice and quiet. FWIW, for my taste, it's teetering right on the line of being too loud when accelerating. IMO, they did an absolutely perfect job hitting the optimal mark because any quieter, and people would be pining for aftermarket exhaust and any louder and (more) people would be complaining it's too loud. Never seen a car hit the mark so precisely when it comes to exhaust note (stock). I think it could probably win just about any debate when it comes to best sounding stock exhaust on any car!

Mike

#20 · (Edited)
I used ECO mode for my 1200 mile trip to the SRT Track Experience and I think it is an awesome tool. As for noise, the engine is quiet at cruise to me. The whole trip was comfortable and the noise was never unbearable. The ECO mode just keeps MDS active more, upshifts earlier, and locks out first gear. If I do it around town when I know I won't be racing all the minivans around town I can get about 25 to 33 mpgs just cruising around. I think it's awesome that a muscle car can have this type of versatility. It can go balls out when I want and sip on gas when I want.

Edit...I do hear MDS more often at low speeds and low RPMs. I can also notice the dronish and weird sound qualities when I am accelerating from a slow cruise to balls out. That brief moment where the motor shifts into AHHHHHHHHHH mode.

Reactions: Max57 and Slidd
#18 ·
If it's too loud, you're too old!

((Air Guitar))

I love the sound of it. When I had a 5.7 Charger, I put an SLP LM2 Catback on it for a proper Muscle Car Sound.

When I first heard my SP fire up, I thought "Well, there's $750 worth of ModMoney I won't have to pay." The stock 392 sound is damn near perfect.

#22 · (Edited)
That is too funny...I start my SP in the morning with the garage door closed also! It seems much louder when starting stone-cold than if it's warm or semi-warm. Reason being I live in an echoy, tight-spaced townhome community and leave at 5:40am for work. But once I back out and put it in D, my focus shifts to the enjoyable drive ahead of me! As far as the stock SP A8 exhaust, it took a few days to get used to it coming from my relatively quiet stock '14 R/T A5...but it suits the car perfectly and love it!

#26 ·
That is too funny...I start my SP in the morning with the garage door closed also! It seems much louder when starting stone-cold than if it's warm or semi-warm.
The Active Exhaust valves are open when you first start it then they progressively close as the engine warms. You can autostart it while standing behind II to confirm this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 · (Edited)
LOUD! It might be loud at initial start, but I can't even hear the exhaust if I have the stereo on.
I purposely keep my stereo low sometimes just so I can enjoy the sound of the car.
The exhaust is perfect....quiet at cruise and nasty when you accelerate.
Hate to get on your case, but maybe you should look for a more family oriented car, like a minivan.

Reactions: dodgemahal
#24 ·
Lol! No, I'm 54 with the kids finally out on their own...my family car/minivan days are firmly behind me! I wouldn't trade the SP in for anything after three months of ownership...except perhaps a Charger SP, but those have way more room than I need now :)

#25 ·
At 75 mph, it is too loud. I can't barely enjoy the 18 speakers that came with the car. As much as I love the power from the SRT 392, I wish the car has a quieter drive when cruising.

MSRP is $51,570 (Technology group, 8 Speed Auto, Sunroof, Navigation, Summer tires)

I told the dealer I will sleep on the deal and will let them know by end of this week.
A8 has a 0.67 high gear, 6 speed manual is 0.50. The manual is very quiet vehicle at highway speeds, with very low revs at speed in 6th. Probably why the 6M is the faster top speed car, compared to the slower (but quicker) A8.

#27 ·

It may be loud but its also very fast.

#29 ·

Scratches head...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.