Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Ugh!!! 14' R/T M6 destroyed itself.. BUT;

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  murderedRT 
#1 ·
I was driving home after work, and the car in front of me jammed it's brakes in a hurry. So obviously I had too also. I was in 3rd gear, and didn't engage the clutch when I hit the brakes. Well I felt a real bad shutter kinda like when the ABS kicks in but WAY worse. The rest of the drive home, about 6 miles, the tranny wouldn't shift into any gears without shutting it down then restarting in gear with the clutch engaged. I ended up driving the car the rest of the way home in 4th.
The next day I went out to see if maybe something just needed to reset after cooling, or maybe if something was binding(input shaft) after cooling it would release so I could at least drive it to the dealer for service. Nope! With the engine running with tranny in neutral if I engaged the clutch to put it gear the car would try to move. So I shut it down to try starting in reverse, and basically the same thing. It would start moving with the clutch engaged. Only in reverse you could smell the clutch getting hot.
Dunno what happened. My guess is the slave cylinder took a ****, or the input shaft was having a pretty serious binding issue.

I've only had this car for a little over 3k miles, and have driven a standard all my life. So it isn't anything I did. I honestly think the dealer sold me a car that had major issues they knew about, and didn't fix. Today I decided I had enough so I traded it in on a brand new loaded(less Tech Group) 2015 Sublime Scat Pack. I pick it up tomorrow.

The dealer I went to went way above, and beyond anything they would ever have had too for any sale on this, and I could not be happier. They gave me well over what my car was worth plus two other separate discounts to get me in this thing. They surprised me with a lot of things after the deal had been struck. One being a lifetime mechanical drive train warranty that is supposed to be exclusive to that dealership but honored throughout the U.S.. On top of that they also threw in the lifetime maximum care bumper to bumper warranty for FREE, 2yrs. worth of oil changes, 2 tire rotations, a full tank of gas, and a professional detail. All while keeping the price of the Scat Pack about $3k under invoice. NOT MSRP, but INVOICE.

Totally stoked to pick it up tomorrow. If you're in middle TN, and looking to buy a Mopar. I highly advise you go see the Franklin, TN CDJR dealership. These guys are awesome to work with, totally personable, very professional, ethical, and are willing to go above, and beyond to get you what you need/want. My salesman was Blake, and a great guy to deal with.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I've read many posts in other places about people (with no real intent to buy) test driving these cars new and immedately roasting the tires to see what they can do. Already that's not good for the motors. Lots of these test drivers aren't very experienced in driving a standard. This sucks because before you pick up your new ride someone had their dumb ass way with it. The dealership won't tell you if something went wrong. Way back in 1993 a salesperson was trying to get me to buy a '93 Cobra that was previously stolen from their lot and wrecked. It paid a visit to their body shop before going back on the sales floor as a "new" vehicle... Crazy huh?

I think someone mssed up your clutch before you took delivery of your '14 R/T. Glad to see you managed to pick up a newer model with an improved interior.. AND with a great deal to boot. Congratulations. I'm sure you will not regret your new SP.

#8 ·
No things have changed! The Franklin dealership didn't actually have the SP on their lot. The SP was actually on another lot, and Franklin failed to get the car before they closed the deal with me. Today I received a call from Franklin trying to get me to accept a car with different options. They couldn't find another like the one I wanted, and were adamant about not being able to order a 16'. Which we all know is BS!

So I got tired of the roller coaster Franklin was putting me through, and contacted the actual dealer that had the SP I wanted on the lot. We worked out an even better deal than Franklin offered. I pick the SP up tomorrow.

In TN the lemon laws state the car had to be bought new, and the dealer has to be giving three chances to fix it. Or the owner go without the car for over 30 days. All before it can be considered a lemon! Either the previous owner beat the living **** out of that car, or it had something wrong with it from the get go the dealer I bought it from didn't want to deal with. I literally only had the car for 3k miles, and didn't beat it. I got on it a few times, and even hit the rev limiter a few times. But nothing that would make the drive line take a dump if it were a solid car to begin with.

Franklin didn't have much to say about the M6 R/T. They did recognized that I got entirely screwed, though. So maybe there is something in their computer system about that specific car. I dunno. I will say, if you can avoid the Columbia "stealership", do at all cost. They're unethical, the service department IMO is incompetent, they're liars, and just plain don't give a rats ass about the customer!

As for Franklin CDJR. I think they had good intentions in mind. But they screwed me! I sat in their office for 3 hours cutting a deal with them on this SP. I asked them at least half a dozen times if they were actually able to do a dealer trade for this SP, and I was told "Aw yeah it's all good", "Don't worry we got it", "Yeah we have talked to them, and we're trading a couple cars for it", and a couple other responses. According to the dealership who actually has this SP Franklin didn't even call them! So Franklin completed a deal with me on a car they didn't even know was obtainable... I literally signed ALL the usual loan paperwork, warranty, and transfer papers for the trade, and walked out of the dealership with full confidence that I owned THAT SP. Woke up this morning to a call that felt like a kick in the gut..

So form your own opinion with Franklin. I know all, or most of their reviews are all great reviews. After I actually get in this SP tomorrow, and start to drive it to the house I'll post what dealership I actually got it from. But like I said at all cost stay away from Columbia; nothing good about them!

#9 ·
Sorry to learn of the problems you went through. That time wasted in Franklin's office will never be returned. Anyway, congratulations on picking up your shiney new SP today. It's well deserved. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Enjoy.

Reactions: murderedRT
#13 ·
You should visit the dealer who couldn't make the trade, drive thru the lot slowly, let the salesmen come walking out, wait until they see you, flip them the bird and then leave the lot in a hurry!

#21 ·
"The inside of the 15' makes the inside of the 14' look like something from the late 90's IMO. It's a totally different experience.[/QUOTE]"

Dodge screwed it up again. The 2008-2014 interior was supposed to look like early 1970's not late 1990's.

I think Dodge got the interior retro look right with the 2008-2014. I will say the 2015 is one slick interior though.

Reactions: pdx.challenger
#23 · (Edited)
This is all well, and dandy. But I like the retro look on the outside, and the modern look on the inside. That's my opinion, and you don't have to like it but you have to accept it!

You better not get a 15' if you want retro. You won't get it, and if you're going off the gauge cluster for the retro thing. That's not very retro either with the digital EVIC. I'd like to know what 1970 Challenger had a 6.5" touchscreen in the dash for music? Retro? Nope! Bottom line; If you bought a modern Challenger to somehow take you back to the 1970's, you got screwed!

:notallthere:

I'll also add. The modern Challenger gauge cluster looks NOTHING like the 1970's gauge cluster. Hell, nothing on the entire dash looks even close! So what are you talking about? NOTHING about the modern Challenger looks like the 1970's Challenger. Save for the exterior with modern aerodynamics! I know what it is. You're upset because you own a 2014 Challenger, and you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. So you feel the need to defend it! Sad.......

So Again; :notallthere:

#24 · (Edited)
The modern Challenger gauge cluster looks NOTHING like the 1970's gauge cluster. Hell, nothing on the entire dash looks even close! So what are you talking about? NOTHING about the modern Challenger looks like the 1970's Challenger.
The 2008-14 interior (without the touchscreen) & exterior are in fact retro to the 1970 & about as close as anyone has or will come to building a perfect retro vehicle... period.

If you don't see the similarities between them, it's clear you don't get it & your loss.

I know what it is. You're upset because you own a 2014 Challenger, and you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. So you feel the need to defend it! Sad.......
I'll forgive you because you're a noob here, though it doesn't justify talking out of your rear. I'm on my third Challenger & if I wanted a 2015 I'd simply purchase it. I choose not to though, because I'm not interested in the direction the styling has gone.

On the contrary, I see you made no mention regarding my Hellcat comment. It must be too high for your ability to compensate.
We're done.

:banana:

#25 · (Edited)
Not to take sides here, but in many ways the 2015 interior is more retro to 1970/71. The shape of the console, lines of the dash, faux analog look of the gauges.

Mine is an '09 and I do see a retro look to it but also a late 90's vibe. In the end it's personal preference so no argument here. I do like the 2015 better in all respects though.

#26 ·
Not to take sides here, but in many ways the 2015 interior is more retro to 1970/71. The shape of the console, lines of the dash, faux analog look of the gauges.

Mines an '09 and I do see a retro look to it but also a late 90's vibe. In the end it's personal preference so no argument here. I do like the 2015 better in all respects though.
I respect opinions that differ from mine. What forces me to speak up is when someone bashes other vehicles (including Camaro & Mustang), as a means of justifying and/or compensating for their purchase.

#30 ·
Slanted as in? Do you mean slanted vertically, or horizontally? Too me it looks like it's slanted forward at the top, and slightly angled toward the driver.

I agree with the tails also. Don't get me wrong on the old interiors. I don't dislike them at all. It's just the new design is, IMO, way better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.