Washing in cold weather - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Washing in cold weather

Streets have been pretty crappy around here and the car is pretty dirty. 35 degrees today so I washed it up and put it back in the warm garage as we have the day off. Tomorrow it's back out though. Gonna be colder around here so the streets are reasonably dry......As long as the water doesn't freeze outside we wash our "drivers".....

2013 Challenger R/T (wife's daily driver) Solo Mach X exhaust and BT catch can. Charger police wheels and red stripe tires

2001 GMC 2WD short bed stepside pick-up lowered 2/4 (my daily driver) over 230K
The above two are in the house garage.

1998 GMC 2WD short bed stepside pick-up lowered 2/4 bought new
1970 Corvette Coupe owned 27 years
2010 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe bought new
2006 Mustang GT convertible bought new
1994 Harley Davidson bought new
These vehicles are in our garage out back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Garage
I'm going to try to be better about washing my car, but we've been having a lot of below 0* days lately. I did see an old guy in a buick take his car through the car wash when it was -3 last week... wonder how well his doors opened when he got home.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM

I hand wash my cars in the garage in the winter when I am in KC. had to hand wash my challenger at the apartmentin the parking lot, one bucket at a time with warm water.

Sent from my keyboard, typed in by me the old fashion way.

John
best run 12.283@114.18mph - 100% factory stock on factory tires.

best 60' 1.841 - 100% stock on factory tires

411.7 RWHP / 443.5 RW Torque on a Dyno Com dyno. Zoomer cat back and Speedlogix CAI

Current:
2011 392 SRT Challenger
2004 5.7 Dodge Rumblebee 4x4
2001 5.9 Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM

It was 26 outside here today so I tried to wash mine. I had water under the go wing spoiler freeze but that was about it. It looks a whole lot better now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog Send a message via Skype™ to Rudedog
Tell me about it, It was 67 out when I washed my car yesterday.... Almost froze my behind off...

Sorry just had too... I'm really from RI but moved down here 7 years ago.

MyPlumCrazyChallenger | Central Florida Challenger Owners

2010 Challenger R/T Classic | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6sp | sun roof | STP | Leather | Sound Group II w/Nav (730N) | Hood struts | Mopar fender flairs | MOROSO Tanks| Lockpick v.4 w/cam | Petty Garage STB | Trinity w/9r28.crom | Hust S/T shifter | BT Catch can|BT Engine bling | PASSPORT Qi45 | PCP brake calipers | AT cat back | AFR true shaker/TA hood | braided hoses | AN fittings | JBA shorties | Hi-flow cats
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Horsehoe, as soon as I saw it was over 32 deg I was doing the same thing yesterday a couple towns over from you. I don't normally drive mine in the winter but had to take it out last week when I was down a car so it was a mess. I've washed it in the driveway when it's been below freezing, but the ice rink in the driveway afterwards doesn't go over well with the rest of the family...

2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T Classic 6 speed SOLD

#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 AM

It was 38 yesterday in NY and I was out there for 2 hours. I really enjoyed myself since my wife was inside the house working. Some random woman walking her dog said "isn't it too cold to be washing your car?" No. I replied. I was just happy to be outside. I feel better that I washed all the salt off from the previous couple of days and I rinsed off underneath the car too. Can't wait to do my errands today, she looks beautiful! It is an absolute pleasure to drive in this cold dry weather. The guys who have their cars hibernate are missing out.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
Rude dog: We were in Florida over Christmas and I could get used to that.....

Ocron: Yeah the driveway ices over. That part of the driveway in the pictures runs up the side of the house so we really don't care. Trust me. I almost fell on my ass a few times...... Few towns away? What town?

Monte fiasco: In my neighborhood I am known as the "car guy". Especially in spring, fall and summer when all the vehicles come out. That's all I do is wash cars! Glad you're enjoying your Challenger!.....
#9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Fiasco View Post
It was 38 yesterday in NY and I was out there for 2 hours. I really enjoyed myself since my wife was inside the house working. Some random woman walking her dog said "isn't it too cold to be washing your car?" No. I replied. I was just happy to be outside. I feel better that I washed all the salt off from the previous couple of days and I rinsed off underneath the car too. Can't wait to do my errands today, she looks beautiful! It is an absolute pleasure to drive in this cold dry weather. The guys who have their cars hibernate are missing out.
Monte where are you located? Im on the Island, but work in the city and have a gf in jersey so im all around. Looks like im gunna wash my challenger today from all the salt laid out a few days ago.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM

I think it is important to wash the underside of the car also. I spray it from all directions in an attempt to get most of the nasty salt off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode