Washing in cold weather - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So my challenger is covered in road salt from an hour long trip to jersey. I do not want to use my house hose as it runs on cold tap water. Would it be safe if i went to a gas station and just used the coin op machine to at least hose it down just with water ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp023 View Post
So my challenger is covered in road salt from an hour long trip to jersey. I do not want to use my house hose as it runs on cold tap water. Would it be safe if i went to a gas station and just used the coin op machine to at least hose it down just with water ?????
I would go to a good car wash that has the option for underbody washing. I go to a place like this every few weeks to get the salt off the body and the underneath.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
#13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM

I tend to stay away from car washes for a few reasons

1. My car has a custom red pinstripe down the body
2. My Rims are powdercoated black and red (I hate the machines that move the car thru the car wash)
3. They take no responsibility for their actions IE: Dirty Microfibers, poor cleanings, etc
4. Their a rip off.

I usually wash my car on my own once a week this week has been too cold. It is going to be 40 this weekend but i dnt want all the salt and dirty to settle in

Here is a pic of my car for reference

http://tinypic.com/r/seuavs/6

Last edited by jjp023; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'm not a fan of car washes. Especially the kind that you drive through on tracks. I worked at one in my early twenties (a long time ago) and saw what happened to cars......

I don't see anything wrong with one of those "coin operated" ones where you hose it down just to get salt off.

A good trick to do the underside is attach a hose to a lawn sprinkler and just push it under and move it around.....

When washing outside in cold weather I use water that is mildly warm but not hot. Hot water tends to take wax or "paint sealant" off.....

Just my .02 cents!

2013 Challenger R/T (wife's daily driver) Solo Mach X exhaust and BT catch can. Charger police wheels and red stripe tires

2001 GMC 2WD short bed stepside pick-up lowered 2/4 (my daily driver) over 230K
The above two are in the house garage.

1998 GMC 2WD short bed stepside pick-up lowered 2/4 bought new
1970 Corvette Coupe owned 27 years
2010 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe bought new
2006 Mustang GT convertible bought new
1994 Harley Davidson bought new
These vehicles are in our garage out back!
#15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post

I don't see anything wrong with one of those "coin operated" ones where you hose it down just to get salt off.

A good trick to do the underside is attach a hose to a lawn sprinkler and just push it under and move it around.....
I have to use one of those coin operated washes because I live at an apartment. I take my own bucket and cleaning supplies in a box and just use the rinse setting on the car wash. Usually spend about $5.

Great idea with the sprinkler.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of car washes. Especially the kind that you drive through on tracks. I worked at one in my early twenties (a long time ago) and saw what happened to cars......

When washing outside in cold weather I use water that is mildly warm but not hot. Hot water tends to take wax or "paint sealant" off.....

Just my .02 cents!
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanman2789 View Post
I have to use one of those coin operated washes because I live at an apartment. I take my own bucket and cleaning supplies in a box and just use the rinse setting on the car wash. Usually spend about $5.

Great idea with the sprinkler.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Im assuming the pressure on the coin-op ones are enough to damage the paints and sealants on my vehicle but what about on the rims that are powder coated? Is the pressure to much to handle?
#17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
A couple of years ago the winter season was horrible in the Northeast. A couple of times during the season I used one of those "coin operated" car washes since it was too cold/windy out to run my faucet. The pressure on those coin op washes is fierce. I just held the end of wand at least a couple of feet from my truck.....the truck was so filthy at the time I had to do it. Not my first choice and something I would not do regularly........
#18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM

I always wash mine in the winter I just washed it a few days ago and it was -6 C (21 F) that is about the lowest I am able to go or else it freezes before I can get the car finished lol.

Ordered December 15/09
Built March 26/10
Delivered April 30/2010
2009 Hemi Orange Classic order RIP
#19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Ocron: Yeah the driveway ices over. That part of the driveway in the pictures runs up the side of the house so we really don't care. Trust me. I almost fell on my ass a few times...... Few towns away? What town?
I'm in Hopkinton near the Ashland border. I do the warm water wash too in the winter. I wouldn't run an outside spigot below 32 deg.

2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T Classic 6 speed SOLD

#20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Even here in Maryland, it gets so cold that the hose just freezes up after a minute or so. For those times, I've found a great alternative:

Go Green Waterless Wash from The Chemical Guys.....Really impressive product, will not scratch, cleans and waxes at the same time.....

Take a look at this link and decide for yourself, I keep a bottle in the trunk as a detailer, but it's truly a wash!

Waterless Wash And Wax With Kaolin Clay

2012 R/T Plus
Header Orange
Hurst AutoStick
Magnaflow Competition Exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to Fast Freight For This Useful Post:
70TA-09RT (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode