Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Weight Difference of Dodge Challenger?

20K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  MoparSpeed 
#1 ·
Since this is built on the modified LX platform (some are calling it the LY platform) -- what type of weight savings should we expect to see on the Dodge Challenger over that of say, the Dodge Charger?

Anyone want to venture a guess?

#3 ·
If they have the Challenger at 3200...man, oh man..it would tear most everything out there a new porthole! Whether is has the 6.1L or 6.4L. Would love to have the 6.4L option!

Reactions: JSC
#5 ·
340 Challenger said:
Don't know about weight savings but my '70 tips the scale at about 3200. I hope they keep it in that ballpark, BUT I haven't got 425hp in my '70 either!!!
Sidenote; Thanks ekool for this new forum :D
3200 lbs, 425 hp sure would be nice, wouldnt it! My guess is more like 3900lbs if we are lucky.

And thanks for the compliments, glad you like the forum, thanks for being a member!

#49 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Last I heard( this from dodge eng.) was they were looking for a 400-500 lbs drop on the next gen platform..parts that were made in steel ( on this platform) would be made in aluminum on the LY...more parts sharing with mercedes should keep costs down and would allow the Challenger to compete with Rustang...

#13 ·
artimishoke said:
So I guess the Challenger could end up being around 3600 - 3700lbs

With the estimated power figures the car should move
Since it is being guesstimated that it should compete with the GT500 or whatever, they will need to make some metal changes for weight. Is the present SRT8 aluminum? Anyone know what the 392 is made of? Lighter frame, motor, tranny, rearend....make it light but enough weight to be driveable at 200mph.

#14 ·
They need to stop making so-called "performance cars" that weigh nearly 4000 pounds(GTO, Charger). If the new Challenger comes to be, looks similar to the concept, and weighs in at 34-3500 pounds I might buy one.

#22 ·
CHARGERSHED said:
That would put the target weight for the Challenger @3600-3700 lbs a Mustang Gt is 3550...so it should be handing the 'stang it's ass...especially with the 6-speed...:D
Oh man, wouldn't that be sweet...by at least 2/3 car lengths!

#24 ·
Sr4tuner said:
why do thy have to stick with the 6.1 with 425 horses why dont they get it to around 475 with a stronger than current bottom end for heavy modding
I would like to see them go with the 392 @ 500hp. Also drop a 3.55 or 3.73 rearend. Or make the rearend from MB where you can change the rear gears yourself without having to change the brains (comp) drastically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.