Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What makes people buy the R/T over the SRT?

49K views 467 replies 120 participants last post by  noz34me 
#1 ·
Is it purely cost factor? Or does R/T handle better than SRT or have a better comfortable ride?

I guess same could be said for why people buy SXT model over R/T and SRT also.

#2 ·
Oh yes the reason people but the R/T over the SRT is because it handles better!!!
Ummm, it might be more comfortable, my R/T was very comfortable, a softer suspension anyway... The SRT suspension is more stiff, cambered different, ride height is shorter, handles very well! Cost/need/want seem to be the reason, oh and some really dig the Classic package on the R/T models.

#11 ·
All of these different models and options:eek2::roller::eek3:
Exactly what is a R/T classic that makes it so different from a regular R/T? Is it a decal package?
If the R/T has a softer ride it probably won't handle as good as the stiffer riding SRT.

#8 ·
I just wanted an R/T 6 Speed to match my plate. Better fuel economy, upgradeable to 392 with a stroker kit. Got a 2009 figuring Dodge would mess up something in later models. I can tune mine..... 2009 or 2010 SXT SE R/T or SRT. Its all about personal choice. Or a later model if you don't care about being able to tune it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
The difference in the SRT is power, brakes, suspension, and interior. I was going to buy a RT or used SRT, but I got a decent deal and im always the person who buys "cheap" rarely new, and rarely the top of the line. Im not getting any younger and figure I will keep this car forever(unless a faithful reproduction of the Cuda comes out, year right) so I might as well get the best. Do I honestly think its worth $45,000. No. But I have been following the Challenger since it was first displayed on the car show scene and knew one day I would have one. Will I pay $45,000 for another dodge vehicle, no, unless is that Cuda lol.

I am happy I made my choice though. I fell in love with that 392 within 20 miles of the dealership and havent regretted it one minute.

#15 · (Edited)
I was content to drive my '92 Bronco for 3-4 more years until I test drove a Challenger R/T on father's day last year. I bought one 1.5 months later, my first NEW car in 20 years.

As much research as I do before buying anything over $50, and I did research the R/T vs SRT, all of the reviews were against the 6.1, and 50hp didn't make enough difference for the cash. I didn't know the 2011 SRT had a bigger engine or I would have made that happen, and I didn't realize 2011 was untuneable.

At this point I'm now looking to replace the 5.7 with a 426 in the next few months and do a brake upgrade. I already have the SRT suspension.

Knowing what I know now I'd have bought a 2010 SRT used. I'd have saved several thousands on suspension, PCM swap, brakes, core charge and long block fees associated with the 426. That difference could have easily paid for the transmission, rear end, and most of the supercharger I expect for the next round of upgrades.

ETA: but then too, I have never owned a 370+hp car before, how could I know I'd want to go 700+ to the wheels within 6 months?

#16 ·
I think for most people the issue is cost. When I made my decision, I figured I could create a car equal to or superior to an SRT for less money. In early 09, there was about a $15,000+ difference between the two, now it's a little less (depending on what extras you get/want). Now: By the time I'm done, my RT will be equal to a stock 392 SRT (generally) but have more power. No Brembo's though but that's not a big deal for me. Not being able to tune a new 392 without swapping the ECU/harness is kind of a deal killer. The SRT is a great car, just a little pricey.

#17 · (Edited)
I really didnt see over $16,000+ in valuable additions.

I figured I could pull the brakes off ebay for $2000 and buy a supercharger for $5-6k... and still come out $9000 ahead.

Not to mention the addition interest on 46k rather than 30k is a big chunk...also higher insurance cost....

I figured that the additional 16k plus interest would put me damn near $20,000 more... and I just couldnt see myself doing that.

I would swap out the wheels even if i got the srt... and also put in katzkin leather... so what would really be the point?

I wasted a lot of money on my 2009 ram laramie... i just couldnt take that kind of a loss again.

That stupid $2000 gps radio that would end up replaced with a pioneer deck anyway... speakers replaced...

I guess if you just wanted to buy and drive, then the srt is the way to go....

I just have other stuff id rather spend the cash on :)

#18 ·
The SRT has the bigger motor, different base wheels, the 2 setting damping suspension, anti-spin rear differential and some bells and whistles like heated steering wheel and more of the gadgets come standard. I also like the SRT seats better.

In my opinion the 4 coolest looking cars on the road are the 4 Challenger variants. I love that script Challenger badge on the sides of the R/T classic.

#19 ·
I wanted Challenger as soon as I first saw one. I waited and thought about it for about two years. I was familiar with the long record of reliability associated with the 5.7 engine. I don't race the car on the street or at the track so I don't give a sh** what my 1/4 mile time is. I wanted to be able to do some mild mods (exhaust, wheels, etc. and tune since I got a '10) I wanted a basic model with 6sp. and not many "extras" like EVIC and NAV whatever other computer gimmicks that are available these days as I believe the way technology improves daily these will be obsolete within a few years. OH ALSO THE $$$ had a lot to do with it. lol

#21 ·
I went R/T because this is my DD. It is my understanding that the SRT, at least the 6.1 which is the only SRT in my price range, is more expensive to operate. If my Challenger was a weekend only fun machine then yeah I'd get the SRT but since I DD things like maintenance costs and gas mileage do factor into the equation.

And also price, I wasn't looking to spend over 30k for a vehicle and my R/T was the perfect car at the perfect price bought from the perfect previous owner.

#22 ·
When we went looking for our Challenger we thought R/T as well but once I added the items I want in a car the price difference wasn't too large...about $10K.

Then we couldn't find the PCP in an R/T with a M6 so we went SRT.

If I was buying today I think a R/T Classic would meet my needs honeslty but it would be a fully loaded car and I've looked at 2012 prices and the MSRP would be near $40K. At that price point I'd still jump up to the SRT.

#24 ·
When I bought my 09 R/T, the dealer was tacking on $5k ADM on the SRT8s, so that was not going to happen. I don't have a single complaint about my 09 R/T, it was a fantastic car in every aspect. I traded it for a 2012 SRT8 when I could finally get one in Bright White, and the Radar Red interior was a nice upgrade for me. For what I do with the car, I preferred the ride of the R/T. Both cars are M6 and 3.92:1 axles, the SRT8 is clearly faster and the brakes are incredible compared the the R/T, but for the price, the R/T really is the best deal out there for a performance car. The interior is much nicer on the 2012, but that is not a fair comparison to a 2009 R/T.

#25 ·
pure wallet comfortability...and to be frank its not all that comfortable. :headbang: lol

#26 ·
- cost (wife wouldn't le me buy a car that much, the R/T was more practical)
- daily driver (R/T would be better all seasons, and odds are my 18" snow wheels won't clear the SRT8 Brembo caliper)
- looks (IMO the R/T Classic is the best looking Challenger of them all)
- 376hp, and 410ft/lbs of torque is the right amount of power for me. 470hp/tq would get my licensed taken away quick)
- maintenance (overall an R/T will be cheaper to maintain, and brakes will be a lot cheaper, especially)
- didn't want to pay over a grand just for a gas guzzler tax.

#27 ·
- cost
- looks (IMO the R/T Classic is the best looking Challenger of them all)
- 376hp, and 410ft/lbs of torque is the right amount of power for me. 470hp/tq would get my licensed taken away quick)
- maintenance (overall an R/T will be cheaper to maintain, and brakes will be a lot cheaper, especially)
All my reasons are the same as Omaha's. I couldn't have said it any better, so I just quoted him on the points that apply to me.

#28 ·
This is in response to a previous question that was posted in this thread.

Cars you could buy for 45,000 (besides new SRT-8):

BMW 3 series coupe
Audi A4
Chrysler 300
Mustang Boss 302
Nissan NISMO 370 Z
Lexus IS 350
Subaru WRX STI
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X.......

And we ar enot even talking about SUV's or pick up trucks either.

#45 ·
This is in response to a previous question that was posted in this thread.

Cars you could buy for 45,000 (besides new SRT-8):

BMW 3 series coupe
Audi A4
Chrysler 300
Mustang Boss 302
Nissan NISMO 370 Z
Lexus IS 350
Subaru WRX STI
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X.......

And we are not even talking about SUV's or pick up trucks either.
I pretty much put a limit of about 50k and looked at every car that had over 300hp within that price range. Needless to say, the list got very short. The r/t is so practical as a daily driver and it is pretty darn good for the price. But the more I looked at the 392 the more i wanted to get it. Plus, if I got an r/t, I probably would have gotten forged this and that, super charger, new seats, etc. The SRT already comes in a nicely put together package from the start; there are also fewer SRTs on the street.

#29 ·
i got my r/t classic pretty well loaded for 36k and I was looking at a more moderately equipped SRT8 in the 45-47 range. 36k was pushing my budget anyways, another 200 a month in payments wasn't gonna happen, if I had substantialy more means, i would of gotten the SRT8 probably.

I haven't driven one, i'm sure I would love it.

#30 ·
I liked the look of the R/T better than the SRT, with the Classic package the R/T looks killer. The RT is my DD and the SRT was not even a thought and when I got my FF for 28K Canadian the car is still worth more than what it cost me new. I still do not see how a SRT is worth the 59K they are asking here in Toronto for one with all the options. Base for a SRT is 49K

#31 ·
I wanted to add a 'classic' muscle car to my fold. I could drop the cash on any of the models but I got the R/T Classic with heritage wheels strictly for the looks. It's like I'm back in the 70s but with much more comfort. Don't care about the extra power of the SRT, I don't race people streetlight to streetlight, I don't go to the track. I drive about 80% city traffic. Seats look nicer in the SRT I'll give it that.

So I guess in a sense it always comes down to money but you have to ask yourself what you want and why and then look at the cost. Not automatically buy the most expensive model of any product because it exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.