Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What year R/T or SRT8 to purchase '10,'11,'12,'13

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Just Wheels 
#1 ·
New to this particular site, been into mid 60s b bodys. Current 67 R/T Coronet attached.

Purchasing a used R/T or SRT8 between 2010-2013. Manual transmission.

Your opinion on the preffered year and why? Example, I have read on this site some of the earlier years are easier to modify the computer.(?) Upgraded transmissions? I think they are all Tremec.

Things to watch out for? :surprise:

Want to leverage the experience on this site to avoid an obvious mistake :headbang:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
'12, '13 and '14 SRT8's have the cool steering wheel as well as the 6.4 of the previous year and adjustable suspension.

Reactions: Just Wheels
#5 ·
Love your 67!

Definitely go for 2011+ with the 6.4. Adjustable suspension was 2012+ (unless you get the Core, which has the single stage Bilstein). I agree with the steering wheel comment.

What are your favorite colors? Some high impact colors were only available on a very limited basis and for one year only.

#6 ·
The later you go the more extra stuff you get with it, amenities-wise. 11-13 the engine is the same and with the M6, they will all handle the same pretty much. The stock wheels on the 2013 look better than the ones on the 2011 IMO. I have a 2011 SRT8 and my buddy has a 2013 in the same color. Mine are the Alcoa forged wheels, and don't get me wrong, they're great wheels, but Aesthetics wise the ones on the 2013 are just better. He got his 13 a little cheaper than my 11, but his had way more miles.

#16 ·
B5 blue was a 2009 colour carried over to 2010. 2009's are less common than the '10s. The 6.1 has lots of aftermarket support and is the best looking of the engines. No plastic manifold.

The 6.4 is more power stock and still being made.

5.7 would be my choice if funds dictated I couldn't have an SRT.
I'd go for the lowest mileage SRT that was the best deal.

#8 ·
B5 I believe was 2010 only in that year range.

A Guy

#9 · (Edited)
I would get the newest lowest mileage highest optioned car I could afford that didn't have any mods. I also agree the 2012+ have the coolest looking steering wheel.

You also have a sweet ride. Love the color combo. I'm not too familiar with the 60's Mopars. Is that a Coronet? What are the specs on it?

#12 ·
I would get the newest lowest mileage highest optioned car I could afford that didn't have any mods. I also agree the 2012+ have the coolest looking steering wheel.

You also have a sweet ride. Love the color combo. I'm not too familiar with the 60's Mopars. Is that a Coronet? What are the specs on it?
Thanks. Yes Coronet R/T, 440 big block 375 horse.

#10 ·
If I recall, you can't get B5 with the 392 until 2015. Somebody chime in if I'm wrong. 2013 was a very limited run of Hemi Orange and Plum Crazy. 2014 was the brighter Header Orange and Plum Crazy continued. 2011 only for Green with Envy. 2012 had the Stinger Yellow on the Yellow Jacket.

Dodge Challenger Sales by Specialty Color

#18 ·
Your site says:

2010 B5 Blue PQD R/T Classic, SRT8 2,031

Did the STR8 not have the 392?

A Guy

#11 ·
Just be sure you are paying $30k or below for '12s and '13s as if you start spending any more it is worth it to find the extra cash to get into the much-updated '15+ models which can be bought new(Scat Packs anyway) for under $40k.

Biggest thing to me would be to find a '11+ model with the 392. The adjustable suspension on the '12+ models really isn't very good. You either get too hard or too soft of a ride IMO.

#13 ·
You may want to at least consider a '15 model if you can swing it. The '15 model has a much improved interior (please, no offense meant for those who own pre- '15 models). A quick comparison will show you what I mean but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

BTW: I bought a new '66 Dodge Coronet 500 with the 383 police interceptor engine in 1966 and sold it in '67. Really wish I had kept it!

Wanna sell yours '67? PM me...

#14 ·
You may want to at least consider a '15 model if you can swing it. The '15 model has a much improved interior (please, no offense meant for those who own pre- '15 models). A quick comparison will show you what I mean but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

BTW: I bought a new '66 Dodge Coronet 500 with the 383 police interceptor engine in 1966 and sold it in '67. Really wish I had kept it!

Wanna sell yours '67? PM me...
PM sent with info . '67 is listed on this site.

#15 ·
Welcome, and that's a beautiful '67 Coronet R/T! 67 is one of my favorite years for both the Coronet and the Plymouth Satellite / GTX. I've got a '69 Coronet R/T (B5 blue convertible) myself, Had it since '94.

Others have hit most of the important stuff- the years you mention are pretty equivalent other than the 6.1 vs. 6.4. The 6.1 is probably just a skosh stronger mechanically, but it didn't have VVT and a tunable intake, so its got a "peakier" torque curve than the 6.4. If I were thinking of a extreme performance tear-down and rebuild I might consider the 6.1 a slight advantage, but otherwise the 6.4 is a little more friendly across the whole rev range. And its probably better supported by the aftermarket at this point.

#21 ·
Thanks for the education. I'm not up on all this stuff ;) Everything I know I learned here :)

A Guy

#22 ·
if you were going for an SRT then the 6.1 is the easier to modify in a lot of areas .but if you want a 6.4 there is a difference in TB . the 2011-2012 are the 80mm that used in previous 6.1 & 5.7 while 2013+ are different and more enhanced . chossing is a different matter it depends on the use is it a daily or drag . if its me i would choose a 6.4 and procharge it >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.