Dodge Challenger Forum banner

While Under Warranty Do You Change Your Own Oil?

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  FWB 
#1 ·
As the title asks-
While Under Warranty Do You Change Your Own Oil?
And also, if you change your own oil whle under warranty, what brand/weight do you use?
And if you do not change your own oil, do you make the dealer use a particular brand/weight or supply a particular brand of oil to them?

#11 ·
I cant thank all of you enough for this information.
2 questions:

John53, are you a young guy or an old guy using those race ramps?
Which race ramps do you utilize since our cars are so heavy?
I am 54, and full of aches and pains.
Also, would not the dealership blame those who change their own oil if something bad happened with the engine and refuse to cover it under warranty?

#6 · (Edited)
No, I always take my car and ram to the dealer every 3,000 miles and have them change the oil, filter and lube it. I figure if they have any questions about maintenance, I will have them look it up. Plus I have the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on the car and truck. They do it for under 30 bucks and I get free coffee, and get to check out new cars and trucks.
I only change the oil on the Goldwing, tractor, lawn mower, and snow blower.
Man, after reading this, I think I am getting old.:grin2:

#8 ·
On my 2014 RAM 1500 3.6/8speed auto(traded in), after getting oily fingerprints on hood, door, steering wheel, hand print on my seat, oil slopped on engine and the kicker.....1qt low on oil. They are not touching my R/T.
I keep the receipts, one empty bottle and write everything I did/checked when I changed oil. Full synthetic 5W20 CARQUEST with SRT or NAPA Gold oil filters.
There should be no questions on anything, and besides.......I like doing it myself and gawking at the stuff under the car!!!

#9 ·
My car only goes to the dealer for warranty work, so basically never goes to the dealer. I do oil changes myself and keep receipts with dates and mileages, too many bad experiences with techs doing sloppy work.

Reactions: chipset35
#10 ·
Simply put, since you asked about warranty, you are allowed to change your own oil and are not required to use the dealer for oil changes. Just keep a record of some kind with receipts as stated. You can use a composition notebook and write what you did, the date and mileage on a page and then gluestick the receipt right on the page, keeps everything nice and neat and will keep your warranty intact. As far as what to use, there's a million debates on that. My SRT was nice and quiet on the factory fill Penzoil Ultra 0W-40 and MO-899 filter so I went right back with the same again.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Our Challengers included a lifetime engine warranty from the dealer which requires me to have all my oil changes done at the dealer. They also included free oil changes for two years, so I'm good with that. After the first two years, I'm probably looking at three dealer oil changes a year. Considering the cost of buying synthetic oil by the quart and factoring in oil change special coupons, that shouldn't be bad.

#14 ·
I have done all of my oil changes since my 2009 SRT was new. I use car ramps in my driveway.

I enjoy working on my car and also want to make sure things are done right.

As long as you use the proper oil, in my case Mobil 1 0-40W, change it at the proper intervals and keep the receipts. there should be no problem concerning your new car warranty.

#15 ·
Here's the official stance from FCA regarding maintenance. Documentation is key as is using the correct parts/fluids. Do those and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I take mine to the dealer, but I have an awesome relationship with the SA. He is the only one who drives it into/out of the bay, I supply my own 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40 and SRT filter, I stand in the bay with the car and watch everything, they check my tranny and differential levels, and fill my oil sample bottle midstream to send to Blackstone Labs for analysis. He charges me $15 for everything.

I get the oil changed every 6,000 miles. Blackstone Labs says that based on my samples I could easily go to 8k on an oil change, but I like to keep it at 6k (which is what it says in the manual).

#21 ·
Change my own oil like others have said keep receipts and a log and there won't be any problems. Dealer stated this also when I asked because I've got the lifetime powertrain warranty. I use Pennzoil Platinum 0W40 and an SRT filter. Also send oil samples to Blackstone Labs. I look at that as added insurance along with early warning if a problem starts to happen. And like someone else said it's pretty cool looking under the car. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

#29 ·
yes you can do your own changes. like said before just keep your purchase receipts for oil/filters and log the date/mileage when you do the work. I don't do my own as there are simply too many good deals on an oil change and tire rotation combo anymore. I go to Dobbs, NTB, Autotire etc every 5000 miles +/-. I use synthetic blend but will switch to full synthetic at my next change when I hit 100K

#30 ·
I am forced to service my car at the dealer otherwise my warranty will be void. If I was "allowed" to change my own oil and still keep my warranty I would definitely do that.

#32 ·
I do all my oil changes at the dealer for many reasons. First off the days of me changing my own oil are far gone, oil changes at the dealer are cheap, they check for bulletins and recalls when the car is there and the techs at the dealer are far better than the kids at jiffy go or where ever. And with the lifetime warranty it's just one less thing to worry about if there is ever a problem down the road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.