Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Won't recommend Challenger any longer...rust issue

59K views 178 replies 71 participants last post by  Mud Yapster 
#1 ·
I have new rust bubbles forming in the paint on the opposite side of where they occured already. This is an extremely well maintained, washed, cleaned, dried, and waxed car that is less than six years old.

At best (to new buyers) all I can say is good luck you're rolling the dice on a KNOWN problem that causes SERIOUS, COSTLY, and TIME CONSUMING damage to repair.

After a twenty year divorce from Dodge The Challenger is what brought me back to Mother Mopar after I swore I would never buy from them again. The quality in the 80's/90's was so bad I said never again. But then the challenger came out (oh my gosh look at that gorgeous car) WOW!!!...the Honeymoon has been great but real life rears it's ugly head as usual.

If it was just my car rusting out from the inside I would say tough luck amigo hope it gets fixed up. BUUUUT numerous owners are now reporting this...it's a systemic problem that I suspect MANY owners will unfortunately get to experience.

Based on all that I just can't in good faith recommend the challenger to anyone considering buying one, or will at least give them a big warning

:crying:

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Ray, my story of "swearing off" any Chrysler product was just like yours. I had enough through the 90's with them, that I said "never again" too.........................until the Challenger.

I had no rust issues with my '10, but now that's it's gone due to flooding, I'm sure that wherever it ends up, it's going to start shortly.

I'm waiting to order a '16, but a BIG part of me says "don't do it", just because of this rust issue. The longer I go without a Challenger, the more I start thinking if I'll order one or not.

There's enough BS in life, and spending big money for car, and knowing that it'll rust is 6 years or less, is something that I have to consider all over again.

This takes the "cool factor" of the Challenger down several notches for me.

Shoot, I've got a '96 Ranger and a '99 Town Car, both DD's, not garaged, and both with close to 200k miles, and NO RUST.

WTF, baby a Challanger, garage it, wash it, and watch the bubbles start???????

Hmmmmmm????

#10 · (Edited)
Ray, my story of "swearing off" any Chrysler product was just like yours. I had enough through the 90's with them, that I said "never again" too.........................until the Challenger.
There's enough BS in life, and spending big money for car, and knowing that it'll rust is 6 years or less, is something that I have to consider all over again.
This takes the "cool factor" of the Challenger down several notches for me.
Wow, a lot of people popping up with the same mindset. Like you and Ray, I also was a Mopar nut in the 1970s and early '80s but moved on after Lee Iaccoca turned Chrysler into a golf cart factory with the "K" cars. Not really his fault. If that's what he did for the company to survive then that's what had to be done. Just didn't fit my style. But I came back solely because of the Challenger and after having four since 2010, trying to find just the right one to keep forever, I had to move on again for the same reasons as others here. A crying shame, really, but they just cut too many corners. Blame engineering, bean counters, whoever. Doesn't matter except a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion; not worth the grief and expense. My last straw was one day after getting yet another ding PDR'd out of the rice paper body. I get in my car, look out the windshield and another dimple miraculously overnight appeared on top of the left fender. I said to myself, that's it, I'm done. Not going to keep trying to keep an egg shell looking good and then come out one day and see rust bubbles instead. So, gone she is and at least they hold their value. I sold it outright to a dealer for good money.

Every car company seems to be having lots of problems these days though. I'm guessing a combination of Gubmint regs forcing unreliable, flimsy engineering and low quality parts from foreign countries. At least Chrysler has not gone to direct injection engines yet. Big problem with carbon buildup on intake valves with them. I know. I now have a Silverado with a D.I. 5.3 engine. You should see pictures of valves with just 30k miles on them. Incredible. Ford seems to be having the most problems with that lately. One thing I learned from these Forums is to research the applicable Forum for whatever vehicle you intend to buy beforehand and see what the problem du jour is for it.

Everytime I see a Challenger on the road I miss mine. But then I remember all it's faults, get pissed at Chrysler, and roll on.

#5 ·
I dont have any rust issues on my 12, yet, but there are other weaknesses that will keep me from buying another. I am almost convinced that most of us drive these cars so little because they are so easy to scratch and ding.

#6 ·
It's a non issue for 90%+ of challenger buyers. Most won't keep the car more than 3-4 years. I agree it's an embarrassment for FCA and they should come out with a solution asap. It really sucks for us that plan to keep the car longer. I know how you feel and I don't blame you. I know I probably would feel the same way. Luckily I'm in CA and my car is not a DD and doesn't see any rain. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I can't speak to the rust problem of the Challenger yet as I traded my 2010 with no rust and currently have a 2014 so not old enough yet. However I do have some observations on rust in general. My Suburban has broken out big time on both rear quarters and rockers, my father's Tahoe in the same places, my mother's Buick both rockers replaced. My brothers Chevy truck, friends Toyota truck and a host of other folks I know have broken out with rust. The guy at the body shop where my mothers Buick was repaired said he is seeing more rust repair jobs then he has seen in a long time. His opinion and mine too is that it has to do with the heavy use of that caustic brine being sprayed on by the road departments. No one seems to use cinders or grit anymore (I guess too many folks complained about it), what you see now is heavy use of pretreat every time there is the mere threat of snow in the forecast. The various municipalities are no doubt fearful of being sued if the roads aren't totally clear within minutes of a snow, so they pile the caustic material on.

According to the body guy and from my own observations as well, that brine gets all over the underside of the car, sprays everywhere and can't be that easy to eliminate. I can't find the article at the moment but earlier this year I read one which talked about the huge increase in the use of various chemical/salt treatments that our highways are receiving over the last ten years. The main point of the article had to do with run off from it causing water pollution but I'd think it would also have a major impact on our vehicles and the roads themselves.

Anyway not really trying to defend Chrysler other that as much to say it would appear to be a bigger problem to me than just Chrysler. That said I agree after six years you shouldn't be seeing rust, which is similar to what a client told be about his Chevy truck which had rust breaking out on the rear quarter on year five. Seems like there may be a lot of factors coming into play.

#8 ·
Wow this sucks, but doesn't Dodge has a 10 year factory warranty on paint....

Anyway I totally understand you guys, I have owned 5 challengers and I had never had any issues "touching wood" lol, but I never keep my cars longer then 5 years are my MAX....as they are my daily drivers,

With issues or not I will still buy what I love...no matter what....and if things will break/rust/ect I will just take it to Dodge attention and have them fix it, but when they denied me any issue under factory warranty then I will leave Dodge for good, that's just me....

Reactions: IDMTfirefighter
#9 ·
Mine is almost 7 years old and there's no sign of rust (I just waxed it). I try my best not to drive it on wet brine, but of course sometimes that can't be avoided. Mine isn't a daily driver, though.

My last daily driver rusted out in spite of being frequently washed and waxed and garage kept its entire life, so I know your frustration first hand. If it wasn't for the rust issues it would probably still be my daily driver.

#11 · (Edited)
Very sad to hear these rust observations,,,. :disappointed:

You would think that by now, the auto manufacturers would have addressed these issues regarding body longevity. And I'm sure that being they now use a thinner gauge for the metal body panels, that alone probably causes the rust to appear even sooner then in the past.

With all that said, I'm retired and my Challenger will not see any use during snow covered or chemically treated roads. I doubt she'll even see 5000 miles per year. She will not only be kept for the long haul (hopefully I intend it to be my last car), but if I do encounter rusted body panels as time goes by, I'll just 'bite-the-bullet' and have those panels replaced with welded in metal. I'll also have the interior of those panels treated with some type of rust inhibitor to hopefully prevent another repair as more time passes. For me, this car is a keeper until I roll over and flap my wheels in the air for the last time.

#106 · (Edited)
Very sad to hear these rust observations,,,. :disappointed:

You would think that by now, the auto manufacturers would have addressed these issues regarding body longevity. And I'm sure that being they now use a thinner gauge for the metal body panels, that alone probably causes the rust to appear even sooner then in the past.

With all that said, I'm retired and my Challenger will not see any use during snow covered or chemically treated roads. I doubt she'll even see 5000 miles per year. She will not only be kept for the long haul (hopefully I intend it to be my last car), but if I do encounter rusted body panels as time goes by, I'll just 'bite-the-bullet' and have those panels replaced with welded in metal. I'll also have the interior of those panels treated with some type of rust inhibitor to hopefully prevent another repair as more time passes. For me, this car is a keeper until I roll over and flap my wheels in the air for the last time.
I just checked my 12 SRT and there is no foam in that cavity on my car. Seems they may have changed their ways. You can see and feel that it is clean and dry and no sign of rust.

#12 ·
IDMT this is for you..i just installed a srt front chin spoiler and i do not drive my car in the winter (live in connecticut) they throw down a lot of salt/sand on the roads.i was surprised how much sand ect.was trapped up inside the plastic panels in the front end of the car.i couldnt imagine how much it would have been if i did drive in the winter months.i am now gonna remove the rear fenderwells and wash the back out

#13 ·
This is really disappointing to see the Challenger going south so fast. My first MoPar in almost 50 years of driving was the 2006 300C. We were impressed enough with it to acquire a 2008 300C AWD, the 2009 Challenger R/T, a 2012 Caravan followed by another 2014 Caravan.
We still own all of them. Except for a 2002 Saturn and a 2010 SF Hyundai we're an FCA family and I service/repair them all. Before I switched, we were an all GM family.

The Hyundai has given me zero problem to date. Can't say the same for the others.

#15 ·
My 2009 was still rust-free when I traded it in April. And it went through winter slush & snow six times.

I'm guessing there are some cars that collect water that starts the rust and some cars don't. :dunno:

Reactions: IDMTfirefighter
#17 ·
We live in So Cali so no issues with rust here. I have a 2002 Ford F150 that I bought new and within 5 years the rain rails on the roof all bubbled and rusted out. Had it repaired and now the paint is cracking on the sides. This truck is washed and waxed frequently too. Neighbor had a Chevy truck...late 80's early 90s and just driving on the freeway the paint started peeling off the hood and fender....primer problem

#19 ·
I've noticed the painted sign posts and the light poles including the traffic light poles are peeling from the plows throwing salt filled slush on them. i can only imagine what it does to the motor vehicles. The concrete retaining walls next to the highway are dissolving from that crap too.

#21 ·
Not a Hell of a lot of difference between New Jersey and Ontario Canada then. We generally have 4\5 months of snow covered roads and the **** they put on the roads just eats everything.
On real bad days you get that brown salt \ sand sludge which is like a paste while on the road, but once it starts building up on your car freezes rock hard. You can easily have 100lbs of it caked on your wheel wells.

As you say, its easy to see the sign posts or concrete poles slowly disintegrating because of this.

I will never drive another "nice" car in the Winter here, and in fact, I may make provisions for my sons lowly 2013 Mustang to be stored as well. I have 2 Winter beaters to choose from now, both with new snow's, so F'it.

#25 ·
#28 ·
I don't think it's the cars fault, it's whatever they put on the roads. Thankfully here in AZ, rust is not really an issue, but while deployed we use a de-icing truck for aircraft. I don't know if the chemical compounds are the same, but I know the spray we use, has indeed ate through concrete over time.

I'm not saying the Challenger isn't susceptible to rust, it may be more-so than some other vehicles, but there's definitely more at play here than just bad craftsmanship.

#32 · (Edited)
Over 20 posts telling people to watch for rust, and bumping up your rust thread in the last hour?

I understand you're upset, IDMT, but really?
yep notifying all new members and keeping the topic "up front". It's called looking out for our challenger brothers and sisters.
I see about a billion threads on HEMI tick, timing chains, catch cans, and what CAI should I buy? I figure a few threads on a serious issue like malignant body rust warrants attention.

#36 ·
This is a subject that some take very personal, and have a right to. Rust on a 10-15 year old car is one thing, but at 5 to 6 years, a car that's been well cared for shouldn't have this issue yet, at least IMO.

I'm going to order a '16, with some reserve because of the rusting issue. But, it's not a DD and won't get out in the salt and snow.

So with that in mind, I'm just thinking of being as "proactive" as possible, and seeing what other folks are doing, as far as "protective films", removing the foam and the pads, etc.

I think that it's pretty safe to say that if Chrysler has/is changing anything, they aren't going to tell anyone. They will either "do it" or they won't.

With my '16 coming in towards the end of the year probably, I'll have the winter to think things over and decide the best method of removing the foam, and treating the areas needed. Probably have the dealer remove the felt pads during the PDI as step one.

Lot's of good ideas and comments, and a subject that is concerning if one plans on keeping a Challenger as rust free as possible, for a long time.

Just my thoughts on this.

#37 ·
This is a subject that some take very personal, and have a right to. Rust on a 10-15 year old car is one thing, but at 5 to 6 years, a car that's been well cared for shouldn't have this issue yet, at least IMO.
I'm going to order a '16, with some reserve because of the rusting issue. But, it's not a DD and won't get out in the salt and snow.
So with that in mind, I'm just thinking of being as "proactive" as possible, and seeing what other folks are doing, as far as "protective films", removing the foam and the pads, etc.
I think that it's pretty safe to say that if Chrysler has/is changing anything, they aren't going to tell anyone. They will either "do it" or they won't.
With my '16 coming in towards the end of the year probably, I'll have the winter to think things over and decide the best method of removing the foam, and treating the areas needed. Probably have the dealer remove the felt pads during the PDI as step one.
Lot's of good ideas and comments, and a subject that is concerning if one plans on keeping a Challenger as rust free as possible, for a long time.
Just my thoughts on this.
Too bad you can't order your 2016 with "foam delete".

#42 · (Edited)
I have new rust bubbles forming in the paint on the opposite side of where they occured already. This is an extremely well maintained, washed, cleaned, dried, and waxed car that is less than six years old.

At best (to new buyers) all I can say is good luck you're rolling the dice on a KNOWN problem that causes SERIOUS, COSTLY, and TIME CONSUMING damage to repair.

After a twenty year divorce from Dodge The Challenger is what brought me back to Mother Mopar after I swore I would never buy from them again. The quality in the 80's/90's was so bad I said never again. But then the challenger came out (oh my gosh look at that gorgeous car) WOW!!!...the Honeymoon has been great but real life rears it's ugly head as usual.

If it was just my car rusting out from the inside I would say tough luck amigo hope it gets fixed up. BUUUUT numerous owners are now reporting this...it's a systemic problem that I suspect MANY owners will unfortunately get to experience.

Based on all that I just can't in good faith recommend the challenger to anyone considering buying one, or will at least give them a big warning

:crying:
Put salt on the roads and you will eventually have ruhttp://www.autonews.com/article/20140522/OEM11/140529942/toyota-recalls-466000-vehicles-to-fix-rust-corrosion-brake-pedalst on your car Mother Mopar isn't the only victim of this destroyer of expensive cars and trucks. Seems Toyota also has problems. So I cant figure out what your going to buy that won't rust. http://www.autonews.com/article/201...00-vehicles-to-fix-rust-corrosion-brake-pedal Or maybe these guys. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/mitsubishi.html

#44 ·
It's really depressing to read this. But it is an important topic to bring attention to. If enough people report similar problems, it gets the word out and gets the attention of Chrysler. It worked for the timing chain. Best of luck to you IDMTFirefighter. I can only imagine the frustration of this issue happening to your car, if you're willing to go so far as to divorce yourself from Chrysler.

That being said, My car is 5 years old, DD in Canadian winters, and a few gravel roads in summer. So far no hint of rust, and I've been watching closely now after reading this. If I do get any, I will get it fixed ASAP and report back on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.