Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Is it worth it?

5K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  redpearlrt 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am looking to purchase a 2012 SRT 8 Challenger Yellow Jacket. The car is brand new but has been on the lot and has 1400 miles on it. The sticker is about 54000 and they are coming off 10 grand. Would you do this? Is it worth it?

#4 ·
The car is not brand new if it has 1400 miles on it. It's also 2 years down, greatly affecting resale value- read, never resell it for that much in your lifetime, which means they're asking too much for it, But, hey, if they can find someone to pay it, then it's not too much, right?

The cars not new, it, it may never have been titled, which would mean it was the sales force's joy riding car for- wait for it- 1 4 0 0 miles. wow.

check the classifieds for a low mileage comparable year Jacket. there's allot of them that are garage queens, nature of the beast, and a good thing for you.

Reactions: salvy59
#8 ·
No

There have been subtle improvements since 12. You can get a 14 for that price.

#9 ·
Bought mine last June 2013 - 52k sticker - ~43K out the door. 12 miles on odometer. It had sat on the dealers lot since August 2012. Besides my TPS acting funny on the front left (dealer blames that on my aftermarket radio interference), the car has been great.

Reactions: salvy59
#10 ·
That sounds like a lot of money to me, the good thing is that you get the whole warranty from when you purchase it, the bad is, who put the 1400 miles on it before you? Ask yourself what your willing to spend, I think if you offer him between 39k and 42k he would probably take it, I'm sure he wants that car off his lot. But you have to be willing to walk away if he says no. If he has a buyer for that car in his hands I don't think hes going to let you walk away without that car. good luck!!

#13 ·
if you have the cash and its the car you want with all the options you want and you are willing to pay that for it then go for it.

If you spend 5-6K less on something you really dont want you may regret it.
Agreed. Color is the most important option, and 1400 miles is really no big deal. Probably driven by the owner or manager at the dealership.

Always try to buy "low", so I would offer $39k, and go from there. Good luck.

Of course, I'm partial to yellow. LOL

#21 · (Edited)
My local dealer has one with 858 miles listed for 41,983. It says USED but I when I looked at it last summer I was told it had not been titled. So I thought about offering them $35K to start but I didn't really want to trade the 09 and I didn't want a manual.

#22 ·
I looked at multiple YJs when I was in the market, These guys don't want to budge on their asking price, best deal I could get on any of the "new" YJs was around $42.5 - I couldn't justify that.

#24 ·
Best thing he could get is one of those GPS trackers, I should install one of those in my car.

#25 · (Edited)
That is way too much money for that car. I would go no more than 40K. I looked at a 11 SRT at a dealer in the fall of 13. He was asking 37K. It was loaded with 2500 mile on it, six speed car. The dealer did everything he could to get me to trade my Torch Red 10 RT Plus, 27J six speed car, with 11K for the SRT. I could have traded for 10k. I walked away. Why? Even though it was red (I think they call it Red Line red), looks wise, my R/T had it beat. Plus it had a sun roof in it, that I did not like. Something else, yellow is a love/hate color. It's more difficult to move than black, red, hemi orange, silver, b5 blue and other colors, and color means a lot in resale value.

#26 ·
Something just doesn't seem right about the car being new with 1400 miles,2 yrs old & smells like cig smoke with a sticker price like that! Walk away........ that's a lot of cash to gamble with! I could understand if it was used but new,no way! Just think, it's been sitting outside for 2 years without being driven much & for new price..nope!

#27 ·
What do you mean for new price many including mine had a sticker for over $52,000. Forty to forty two thousand is quite a bit less than sticker. Many YJ cars sat due to greed plain and simple. If necessary the car needs a new battery, rotors etc they will do it under warranty. I doubt they smoked in the car much if at all and risk eating the loss over that. Car dealers may be pigs when it comes to money but they aren't that flat out stupid. They wrote the rules about the games we play when buying a new car. It may not be a current year but for all intent and purpose it's a new car.

#28 ·
Figure out the build date based upon the door jam sticker. A 2012 could've been built in 2011, making it possibly almost 3 years it has been sitting on the lot!
I'd lowball them as others noted, AND express your concern about the 1400 miles, and require they throw in an extended power train warranty because of the miles. Who knows which sales guys were thrashing it on the weekends and "test drives".

Do your homework, and don't be in a hurry, AND walk away if the deal just does not feel right for you.

What are you doing with your current Challenger?

#30 ·
MAKE SURE TO DRIVE IT!

When I was first looking at Challengers there was a 12 RT with 20k and they wanted 25 for it. It was on my way home so I watched it and it sat for 4 months (it was in the "used" section of a Mitsubishi dealer) so I figure I would swoop in and drive it and low ball them for it. It was the only V8 on the lot. So I test drove it and it was quite the ride. The wrong kind. Hit the gas and it shot to the right, badly. Like not just alignment, it was going to the right - rear first! Told them they needed to fix it before we talk and I was ready to really low ball them. Week later, they called me and said was taken to the dealer and it had $1600 worth of suspension repair needed. They were going to sell it as is.

I walked away. The car was abused and I would never get a deal good enough for the other things that could go wrong.

Went straight over to the Dodge dealership and ordered my 2014 RT Manual 6 that day.

#31 ·
1400 miles guarantee you that they are all beat miles but what ever just get a warranty bro then you beat on it thats what the car is for and thats why I got mine

#32 ·
If they're selling it as new, the full warranty should start from wherever the mileage is at sale... so I wouldn't even consider that a factor if you plan on actually driving it. If you're not a 'trader' and don't need to think about the model year hit, decide what it's worth to you and do it.

#33 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I did not buy the car.....it just wasn't worth it for the price they wanted. Also there were issues with the car. The fabric was starting to come down on the roof near the moon roof. The front was scaped up and there were hairline scratches on the mirrors including paint chips. Plus there was no new car smell. I felt like it was a used car. I am in the middle of getting a new 2014 at another dealer for a little more but its literally off the truck with 5 miles. Its worth it in my opinion. What do you think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#36 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I did not buy the car.....it just wasn't worth it for the price they wanted. Also there were issues with the car. The fabric was starting to come down on the roof near the moon roof. The front was scaped up and there were hairline scratches on the mirrors including paint chips. Plus there was no new car smell. I felt like it was a used car. I am in the middle of getting a new 2014 at another dealer for a little more but its literally off the truck with 5 miles. Its worth it in my opinion. What do you think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I vote good decision. I bought a used car once...never again, unless it's an old cheap beater.

Reactions: Challenger Beast
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.