Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger Owners in New Zealand

21K views 70 replies 9 participants last post by  Fred NZ 
#1 ·
If you are a Challenger owner based in New Zealand could you please respond. As I am one, I wonder how many of us there are.

#2 ·
In Otago Sth Island. There are another two I know of within 50kms of me, but it is still fairly rare to see another one on the road down this way. Phil.

#3 ·
Hi Phil, Thank you for responding. I'm based in Auckland and see the occasional Challenger where I live. On the last Sunday of each month a Caffeine and Classics get together is held at Smales Farm (search Facebook) which on a fine day can attract a few hundred cars including a number of fist generation Challengers as well as a hand full of later models including the Hellcat. What fuel are you using in your R/T? My local fuel station has recommended I move to 95. Sean

#4 ·
Hi Sean, In my opinion definetly go to 95oct. Our fuel is rated different to USA and your car will perform much better on our 95oct. It is likely pulling timing on 93oct.
I use BP 98oct only.... nothing else at all.
My car is modded a bit though and is running an aftermarket tuner with a custom tune installed that was developed from datalogging from my car with BP 98oct.
Hope that helps...Phil.

#7 ·
Hi, Thats about 4hrs drive from me and I have not seen that one.
New-Zealand has a limit of 500 cars per year that can be imported left hand drive and registered/warranted under "special conditions" the permits are all gone for this year now. Some years they are all gone by March so a long wait for some potential buyers/owners.
They will be sending Hellcats back to the States soon as there are about 8 brand new ones for sale in NZ at from NZ$134,900 to $149,000 at the moment that do not seem to be moving.
Our dollar has dropped a lot against the US in the last few months which already means it would cost about US $8000 more to buy my car now than it did 5 months ago....pleased I got the timing right!
Best regards Phil.

#8 ·
Hi Phil, As I had under a third of a tank of 93 left, I filled with BP 98 and straight away felt the difference. The car also sounds as if it is running much better. With my car not for everyday use I will continue with 98 going forward. Thank you again for your help. What led you to installing a custom aftermarket tuner running on 98?
Best regards Sean

#9 ·
Hi again, There is a pull fuse trick you can do that will reset the ECU so if your car has been pulling timing it will get you back to status quo quickly. Search this forum for pull fuse reset and you should find how to do it.
I run the tuner for a multitude of reasons
1. Allows you to adjust tune to get the benefit of any mods you do.
2. Allows custom tunes to be installed and datalogged to get best out of the fuel that is available to you.
3. Let me turn MDS of permanently.
4. Allows speedo correction for larger tyres.
In the tuning section you will see many threads on Diablo tuners and what they can do.
Cheers Phil.

#10 ·
I've got a colleague (Carl) that lives in Titahi Bay. He has a sweet Mopar collection. A 71 Challenger and 2006 SRT-10 6M. He had the SRT-10 converted to right hand drive so well that it looks like it was built that by the manufacturer. I’m happy to see that he is not alone in NZ. Cheers guys.

#12 ·
With the manual car there are limited benefits.
i.e Already has more aggressive timing.
OEM tune already benefits from running higher octane
fuel.
You do not have MDS to deal with.
Unless you need to disable top speed-limiter or play with Rev limiter ect it is not usual to add tuner to manual car until you have done other mods that you can then tune in to get the full benefit from.
Again I would read as many threads as you can on Diablo tuners to see if one would benefit you at the moment and then which one would fit your needs the most. Basic difference is the cheaper one (INTUNE-1000 DCX) has less data-logging time and the more expensive one (TRINITY?) can be mounted in view and used as viewable real time gauges.
Good luck Phil.
PS Both are available reguarly in the for sale section at good prices 2nd hand (thats how I bought mine) The older predator version is not an option for our later cars I believe.

#14 ·
Welcome from Arizona USA!

Reactions: Exert
#15 ·
Hi, Cheers!

#20 · (Edited)
Hi, Congratulations on your 2015 SRT 392 and great to hear you are in Auckland. As Phil did, I too decided on importing a 2014 R/T Classic which I'm so happy with. It hops since I changed the fuel to 98 with Phil's help which has got the timing where it should be. I only take mine out on fine days and have managed to stay away from speed fines despite how tempting it is to let it run. Nonetheless, I did get pulled up for not having a front number plate. I had chosen not to as I did not want to put holes into the front bumper. This cost me a $150 fine and 20 demerits points. I had the fine waived after writing to the Police and confirming I had addressed their concerns after importing a front plate holder from US which fits under the front valance removing the need to drill holes in the front bumper. We live in Army Bay and I see the occasional Challenger around (Orange). There is always a Challenger or two at the monthly Smales Farm car gathering which takes place on the last Sunday of each month starting at 10am https://www.facebook.com/CaffeineAndClassics. On a fine day there can be over 400 cars which is a treat. Go well Sean

#23 ·
Hi Sean, Been a busy week but booked in for Friday afternoon to be fitted/aligned. Hopefully will get before and after pics to show difference.
Phil.

#22 ·
Hi Sean,

Yeah, I got one of Big Mikes Sto 'n' Show plate holders - I think they look pretty good compared to the ugly factory front plate holder. The SRT gets heaps of attention everywhere I go - It's Torred - not my first choice for colour but it really is nice. I love the new interior on the 15's and that and the A8 helped me make the final decision. I was going to get a Scatpack but it cost me $5k NZ more for the SRT so it really was a no brainer.
I have been a bit surprised at the lack of traction from the 275's - I went to overtake up the Bombay Hills a few weeks ago - it was raining - and it stepped out sideways when I punched it - I was going about 100kph.

#26 · (Edited)
And before pic

Attachments

#29 ·
Hi,
Done 4hrs driving today up the Waitaki valley into the McKenzie Basin incl a spirited 15-20 minutes on a back road/shortcut. Cruising it feel no different until you hit a square edge bump then more thump/impact feeling. Felt a really good improvement in the spirited driving bit. I am very happy. Funny thing after this drive today I re-measured back in my garage, the rears are still the same but the fronts have settled another 12mm so it is now a 50mm drop front and rear from OEM and my tyre to guard gap has evened up front to rear which is great also.

#31 ·
Hi,
Yes but the R/T starts 25mm higher than the SRT so in theory only the same as a 25mm drop on your SRT.
And yes just springs, after install wheel alignment still came in on OEM SRT spec.
The 2 inch drop on R/T's is very popular in the States and I see why...The new stance is spot on for my taste.
Off to visit grandkids for another drive today.....

#32 ·
Hi, I agree those Big Mikes Sto 'n' Show plate holders are the best and what is great is that you are able to easily remove the plate if you wish. I have never experienced mishandling with the 245's on mine but to be fair I avoid the rain and restrict driving to fine days. I would have thought the 275's would provide sufficient traction to cope with 485hp. Cheers Sean

#34 ·
Hi Phil, Thanks for posting those before and after pics. A great result and well done. Who did the work for you and was there much in terms of cost? I note from the following link this is not a five minute chore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJg-rTYwkGk. Cheers Sean
Hi,
Mag and Turbo Dunedin branch supplied and fitted the springs incl wheel alignment for $680. Springs were $500 so install and alignment $180. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
Hopefully when car is clean I will get some photos from back a bit to show the overall effect. Phil.

#36 ·
I'm sure the 275's are probably fine. I've been driving Hi-performance AWD's for over 15 years and this is my first RWD with anything over 200HP. I drive everyday in any weather - means regular washing and waxing but I figured cars are for driving - although I'm paranoid where I park it. I got my partner a new car this year and it's forever collecting small dings and scratches from car parks.

What do you drive Exert?

#37 ·
Hi, 2014 R/T Classic in Pitch Black (I have a few photos in my Garage which I think you can access). I was so lucky in getting my car from the states. Bryce Williams from West Coast Classics Welcome to www.westcoastclassics.co.nz was unbelievable in realising my dream car exceeding everyone of my expectations including finding a Pitch Black R/T Classic in MINT condition to the extent when I took delivery, it only had 994km's with one previous owner. I'm also paranoid and only park it where I can see it. If there is no park outside the coffee shop we keep going and it might seem selfish but there is only one driver. Cheers Sean

#38 ·
Beautiful car. It does feel kind of special to have something completely different in NZ. I was originally going to buy a new Toyota Highlander for the family - a good mate of mine got really sick about a year ago and died a couple of months back - he was 42 and got me thinking about the short time we get here. Getting a muscle car was always one of those things I was going to get around to - been into cars since I was a kid - so I figured I'd just take the leap. Had a look around and just went down to 4 guys for a look - fell in love with the SRT and couldn't wait! I've got a 7yr old daughter and a 3 yr old son who beg me to take them out. Keep an eye out for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.