Dodge Challenger Forum banner

275/40/20 rear tires

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rrjjpp74 
#1 ·
A company told me that some tires are wider then others. What is the widest 275 rear tire brand. This company said to go with Toyo proxes t1 sport or something like that due to the size being 10.95 vs say the toyo proxes 4 all season only being 10.90. I want to go as wide as i can on 275 since my wheel is only a 9 inch wheel.

#2 · (Edited)
You realize you're talking about a difference of .05" which translates to less than a 1/16" of an inch right?:thumbsup:

It also sounds like their quoting you section width, not tread width which is the actual size of the tire where it meets the road.
Most 275's run 9.5"-9.7" tread width, and unlike some of the other sizes, 295 most notably, all of the brands that offer 275 are pretty close in actual size to each other.

Instead of worrying about how wide, imo be more concerned about the tire itself.
Are you looking for ultimate traction at the expense of mileage or is that a consideration as well?
Do you live up where it gets cold or encounter snow? Summer tires don't work real well on cold pavement, let alone snow.

The Conti DW works well as does the Toyo, among others.

I'd worry less about the minor differences in size between the offerings in the 275 category and focus more of the performance of the tire itself.
My 2 cents, YMMV.

#4 ·
YLWJKT has some wise words. Back in the day I sold a Corvette to a friend. When it came time for new tires I warned him to not cheap out. He ignored my warning and got a set of four off-brand tires for it. It only took him a week to loop it out on the freeway while screwing around and put it into the center divider. He admitted to me that the car broke loose way too easy with the new tires and he regretted not shopping for "sticky" instead of "cheap".

Same can be said for width. A slightly wider tire with a less sticky compound can be a LOT worse than a slightly narrower tire with a better CF.

Shop wisely.

#9 · (Edited)
My '12 SRT is lowered, and I run Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500's on the rear. They grip a lot better than the Pirelli P Zeros I had, and a hell of a lot better than the General G Max tires I had on it. All were 275/40/20's on the stock wheels. My car has a decent amount of power, and NOTHING hooks up on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.