Dodge Challenger Forum banner

275's front. Noticed an issue.

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  19johned53 
#1 ·
I'm going to guess this "problem" is due to the increased contact. patch with a 275 tire...

I had to really crank the steering recently to back out of a parking spot. Full on lock. So put it in reverse and start to go...hear this godawful dragging sound.
To make a long story short, instead of rolling, the fronts were dragging across the floor. I could see the marks on the tire after straightening out the steering and rolling back, along with rubber marks on the floor which were a pain in the ass to get off by the way ;)

I experimented a bit and once the car is rolling you can crank the steering to full lock and no dragging..

Luckily I was on an epoxy garage floor and not asphalt. Don't think asphalt would be too kind to the tread.

#3 ·
I thought 275s on a 9" wheel would be fine. Seen lots of posts. Don't they come this way on the SRT with 9.5" wheels?

Backspace issue?

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#5 ·
I have 275's mounted on 9.5" wheels with an 18.5mm offset on my Scat. This is the same specs on factory Hellcats. I've had zero issues with mine, from a stop turn, to backing out of garage or high speed twitsties. My Scat handles like a dream and with my suspension mods, it drives like on rails. This is a very common size for the Chalkenger and stock for the HC's. Something else is causing your issues, not the tire size. Sounds like your wheels don't have the correct offset to run 275's.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies.

UPDATE: I cannot reproduce this on asphalt. Full lock either left or right, forward or reverse. Car turns like it's supposed to.

I now think it was a combination of almost new rubber and the epoxy floor. I think it was easier for the tire to slide than roll.

NOTE: Unless Hurst decided to make my set of wheels different than everyone else, the offset is correct for my 2010 SRT.

Thanks again.

Sometimes my sig does not show up...They are Hurst Stunner's, 9 x 20 front with 275\40\20 rubber.

#7 ·
No problems at all on my SRT with factory wheels and 275's.

#10 ·
Don't forget guys that the 15 and 16 Scat, SRT392 and hellcat(not sure about RT and V6) have their fender lips trimmed right out of the factory. So just because a wheel or tire doesn't rub on a 15+ doesn't mean it won't on a pre 2015.

My 09 RT as well as my 05 300C both rubbed in the front lowered with a 265/35/22 tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
Since it was an epoxy floor and full steering lock, is it possible the tires were just slipping across the surface at a great angle, rather than rolling? Considering the camber effects baked into the steering geometry, you can imagine each tire was seriously riding on the corner of the tread face instead of flat on the tread face. Despite the 275 tire width, it probably wasn't more than a bicycle tire's width of contact patch in effect, when the camber effects are at full extent with the steering wheel cranked to the max.

#16 ·
100% this. At full lock the tires are angled over a good bit.

I also tried on asphalt at full lock at a "normal" reverse speed and no problems, but give it a shot and the tires will drag before they can roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.