Dodge Challenger Forum banner

All-season tires for '12 R/T with STP

10K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  mikesrtclassic 
#1 ·
I've been able to get away with running the original Firestone Wide-Oval summer tires for the past two years without too much difficulty. I know for a fact that these tires stink in even light snow, of course, as they aren't designed for that use. It normally does not snow that much in my region, but I have been caught twice in such conditions---both were pretty hairy experiences.

I'm installing all-season tires within the next week or two. Been studying comments on here and doing a lot of research on TireRack and other sites.

I see Continental ExtremeContact DWS on tirerack for about $183 per tire. I also see BF Goodrich Comp-2 A/S (all season) for about $159. I've read many people rave about the Continental tire, but not much about the BFG tire---yet the BFG is showing significantly higher ratings than the Continental tire in virtually all rating criteria on the tirerack page. That is somewhat surprising.

Unless anyone is running BFG Comp-2 A/S and think they stink, I'm pulling the trigger on them and saving a few bucks vs the Contis. Please chime-in.

#3 ·
I use the continentals on both my SRT and STI and love them. I've also used the continentals on a v6 Camaro as well. These are by far my favorite high performance all season tire. The 60k warranty is awesome too for a high performance tire.

EDIT: I have not used the BFG's.

#6 ·
I've doing the same thing. Please let me know how you like the BFG's, as I'll be needing them in a couple of months.

Thanks

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#7 ·
I just installed the conti extreme contact DWS06 on my daily driver, an 05 dodge magnum rt.
After a couple weeks, I am impressed by the quiet comfortable ride.
I haven't done much in the way of aggressive driving with them on the car, but so far they seem pretty sticky for an all-season.
Good looking tread pattern too.
I thought the price was reasonable, but the last tires I put on the car were Pirellis, they cost significantly more money.

#9 ·
The more reviews that I read, the better BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S sound. I got my year-end bonus and so I pulled the trigger today on ordering a set.
I should have them installed by Thurs. Will run them a few days and then report back with initial impressions.

#10 ·
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the after you have a chance to put a few miles on.

The continental extreme contact dws06 that I put on recently have continued to impress me with how comfortable and quiet they are.
I had some rain recently and they were just as sure footed in the wet as they have been as when dry.
I've had a few curving freeway on-ramps to use to test their grip and so far they have still shown to be quite sticky.
All that I can ask now is that they last a reasonable amount of time!

My challenger is getting Michelin pilot super sports put on today.
I can do a summer tire on that car as it is more of a weekend/fun car.

Lots of tire purchasing for me in the last month but it's important to have good rubber on the cars.

#11 ·
I put a set of the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S tires on today.

Only a handful of miles on them so far, of course, and not enough to give an all-around review. However, these look aggressive as hell, much more so in person than they do in photos. Beyond their looks, they are extremely quiet and deliver a very comfortable ride. Will post more observations after I get some miles on them in different settings/conditions.

Merry Christmas.

#14 ·
Once my GY F1's are fully worn, I'm going to try staggered Conti DWS-06's.

#15 ·
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on them, DJ. The BFG's will offer the 275/40/20 in late January and I'm going with them as soon as they are available for purchase. I'd love to run a summer max performance tire on my SP, but that isn't really rational or responsible for our area. Seems like the BFG g-Force Comp-2 A/S (awful name.. lol) is a pretty good compromise for those who have to drive in cold temps and the occasional snow (not driving my car in heavy snow no matter what tire is on it).

#17 ·
I think I'm gonna try the Goodriches myself in the next day or two. Yes, I know it's an all season tire and I live in florida, but the rain here is ridiculous and the Falkens I have on now are downright dangerous these days..LOL! Plus the price, 45k warranty, and it sees about 15k miles a year, sooooooo...
Cheers, Lee S.

#18 ·
So far, I love 'em.

Tons of grip in wet or dry----haven't tested in snow yet, but likely within the next six weeks or so. Cannot get them to kick the tail out much even in shallow, standing water. Firestone Firehawks that I'd been running felt a bit jittery at cruising & highway speeds, but not so with these new BFGs. They take the jittery edge off and feel confident yet very planted. Nice, quiet ride. Makes the car feel higher-end while driving. And the aggressive, meaty look is fukkin' killer. Never been so impressed by a tire's look before.

#20 ·
I went through this about a year ago and researched the crap out of the issue. I ended up getting the Nitto Motivos 275's in each corner. I've been very happy with them this far. Like them MUCH better than the F1's.

#23 ·
Nope. I forgot about it. Car's sitting in the garage now (thank goodness), so it's too dark even with the light on. When I open the overhead door tomorrow to start digging snow, I'll get some pics.

Aside from how good the tires look, I love the ride and I detect no decrease in handling with these tires. Matter of fact, all aspects of this tire's performance are better than that of the Firestones I had on. Smoother, quieter, less jittery ride, but still have great steering response and the cornering feel feels higher-end. Still haven't been able to force the tail to break loose, even with big steering inputs and throttle.

Have not driven in snow yet, and I won't be driving in the roughly 24" we'll end up with by end of the day today, so I can't comment yet on driving in light snow.

Not sure this is the very best tire out there for the Challenger, but it's damn good.

#26 ·
Well, after about a thousand miles on mine, they're great in the wet and dry, quiet and sure footed. Absolutely no complaints so far. Like you, longevity will be interesting. I usually rotate every 3 to 4 k so things stay pretty even, wear wise.
Cheers, Lee S.

#25 ·
No one running 255 up front?
Leery about 275 up front

#28 ·
Not trying to derail this thread but does anyone have any experience with the BFG Sport Comp 2's? I was going to go with them originally, but went with the Cont Extreme Contact DW's. Traction is great but I can't get them to balance. Taking my RT back to the tire shop this week to resolve the vibration or swap tires.

#34 ·
I ran 275 all around on my Magnum for close to 100K miles. I went with a tire that was very good at water evacuation. Even still it would occasionally hydroplane. It was not bad by any means, but if I had gone for a less aggressive rain tire, I would have worried.

Other than that, it looked pretty sweet, but cost around 2mpg highway. I ended up dropping back to a 255 width tire (again all around) for the last 25K I owned that car and was happier with it overall. The stock width tire was a 225 so even the 255 looked pretty wide on there.

#35 ·
I prefer a skinnier tire up front actually..
Makes the car feel more nimble as far as steering response...
I'll go with stock 245/45/20 up front & 275/40/20 rear..

Just need to decide which tire.. Either the Conti's DWS or the new BFG's...G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S

#39 ·
UPDATE after almost 2-1/2 months of daily driving and about 1,000 miles:

BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S tires are great. Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. Can't get them to let go while cornering no matter how hard I try (during street driving). Car feels planted yet athletic in terms of handling; steering response and road feel are excellent. Tires look damn good to boot.

#40 ·
Thanks for the update ,, had been looking at them for our RT ,, really like there looks
To go with there high ratings

#41 ·
Everything still good with the Comp2's DJ Hemi? You may have convinced me to go with those this spring. My Nitto's Motivo's have just about had it, they are great tires but when you are pushing a lot of ponies the rears (even with 315's) leave a lot to be desired in the traction dept. Haven't checked on sizes yet but wondering if they make Comp 2's in 315 size? My Motivo's are about 13" wide would like to have that width back with new tires.

#42 ·
Have not been on here much recently and am just now seeing this.

I love these BFGs. They run solid, quiet, smooth, yet have tons of grip and love to dig-in during cornering or with long sweepers. Makes the car feel planted, athletic, completely in control. I keep goosing the throttle in first-gear and second-gear corners to see if she'll break loose. She hasn't yet.

Mind you, I never ran the Motivos and cannot compare.

#45 ·
I'll pop this thread, and say I traded in my Challenger for a C7, but am dumping the summer only run flats for the Conti's DWS06..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.