Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Another tire posting?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jack44 
#1 · (Edited)
Things that are important to me:
1- Must be able to drive to the track on the tires
2- I will be going to tracks up to 6 hours away and as close as 20 minutes away (rain storms etc...)
3-I will NOT put another set of tires in my backseat and change at the track, I was a dragracer for 20 years and I know this is a VERY slippery slope.
4-My mods are "probably" done, Diablo tuner with Hemifever tune, Tranzformer,K and N Air Filter
5-Tires will be 275/40/20 on SRT stock rims
6-This is the tough one, I want the car to be consistent and competitive.

I wont be the every weekend racer I was for those 20 years but I would like to get out 8-10 times a summer. I know the Mickey Thompson drag radials will be the best at $726 a set. The Nitto 555 drag radial can be had for $560 a set. Will the Nitto be any better on the street as far as longevity and driving in wet or dry??

2011 SRT8 392

#2 ·
If you want the best longevity, I would go with the Nitto tire. You can mount a NT555R drag radial (100 wear rating) on the rear, for maximum traction, and a NT555 (300 wear rating) summer ultra performance street tire on the front. They are made to work in unison for cars that are primarily driven on the strip and see occasional track use.

Another advantage is that they cost less than the Mickey Thompson tires.

#3 ·
I get about 8K miles out of my 555R's, street driven only.

I have no problem driving on wet surfaces as long as I do not drive aggressively.

Reactions: HotrodJohn
#8 ·
I would go with the Mickey Thompson's...If you can put them on and off just prior to your race day...Much better option...

I run 20" MT ET Street /SS 305's on race days and weekends...On Drag DR-37 10" rims...and I drive to and from the track...

Now, if you want to just leave them on all the time...The Nittos would be a better option...BUT you could leave the MT's on but would not last as long...

Reactions: HotrodJohn
#10 · (Edited)
What seems to work best for me on the MT 305/35-20's, is 20 1/4 psi...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.