Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Best Rim/Wheel mods?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bkellermann 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a proud new owner of a Challenger and new to the site. I would like to begin adding mods to my vehicle and and the first cosmetic thing that came to mind was altering the rims. I am new to the game in terms of car mods and cosmetic upgrades and have done a little research but do not want to make any rushed or brash decisions. From the little that I've seen so far and from what I've heard from a few car enthusiasts, I can either spend the money on a new set of rims or plasti dip the current ones. I am willing to spend money on my vehicle but at the same time would prefer to not break the bank I would like to get some thoughts and feedback on both of these options and am open to any new ones. Any insight or help would be much appreciated. As beginner in this field I value the experienced and professional opinions I know I can get from this site.

Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Congrats on the car but I think we need more information to help you out.

1. What wheels do you have on the R/T now?
2. Do you want that R/T to look Retro or Modern?
3. Are you into the Black, Gray, Machined, Brushed, Polished, Chrome, Black Chrome or Silver style wheels?
4. Is your car going to be a daily driver? Will you race at the track?
5. What size do you want ? 18's, 20's?
6. Do you want wide rears or do you want same size tires to rotate?
7. Do you want your wheels tucked-in or flush? (or even rears sticking out a bit - old school style)
8. Is weight of the wheel a major concern?
9. Do you enjoy washing your car/wheels or want something for a quickie clean up.
10. Are you a 5 Star type of guy or the mesh type?
11. Do you like the Concave look or Lip style rims?
12. Will fake rivets bother you on a cast wheel?
13. Have I given you a headache yet?

I would not Plasti Dip wheels. I am assuming you are considering black...and I wouldn't go there (just my opinion). Also I am assuming forged wheels are out of the question because of your budget.
Let us know more and we will chime in.
Rims are probably the best cosmetic mod you can put on a car so think this one out.
Good news is that you have a R/T and have more choices than us SRT owners with our big Brembo brakes....especially if you want to go big deep dish/lip style.

#3 ·
Well said ^^^^

There are some realy nice factory wheels as an option just keep in mind if you go for Original SRT Wheels you will need to run a 3mm spacer not a big deal but it makes a difference. You say your willing to spend for the right wheels and the prices are all over the place from $800 to $8,000 that's just for wheels. Also your backspacing is going to be critical to get the wheels fitted proper and not hanging out... your bolt pattern is 5x115

We are here to help if you give us feedback.

Reactions: bkellermann
#4 ·
Plenty of great advise here on this forum. Take a look at the wheel threads and picture threads of our Challengers for ideas then ask about the specific wheels for fitment, offsets, finishes, weight, quality and cost. Everybody here will help you just like family. Congrats on the car purchase and welcome to the forum.

#6 ·
No headache...yet anyway lol, but I do appreciate the help and apologize for the brevity and lack of specificity in my initial post. I also apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on the topic...but to answer your questions:

1) Pretty sure they are the factory chrome 20" rims with lionhart LH-Five 245/45ZR20 tires with a 1929 max load capacity
2) I Would like to go black with the rims and red for the calipers to accent.
3) Vehicle is going to be a daily driver
4) If I am correct about the current rims being 20" I like the look and would prefer to keep them that size.
5) Haven't really decided yet on a retro or modern look but am open for ideas towards both
6) As far as tire width and placement/spacing I don't know enough about the benefits or drawbacks to make a decision or what would work well and look good on a daily driver, granted i wont be out on a track but do want good performance and appearance of course.
7) Would prefer a durable quick clean up rim
8) I don't know the the a major difference between the concave or lip style rim other than the obvious visual difference.
9) and surprise surprise i also don't know what five star or mesh are...
10) I think I know what the fake rivets are and if i'm correct about them being the fake looking rivets or essentially dots around the circumference of the rim then I am not too terribly fond of them.

thank you again for taking the time and effort to help me out.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok..here are some aftermarket black / dark rims to start off with. You can do a forum or internet search for more pictures
All have PCD of 115mm with proper offsets. no need for spacers.
In order...
1) Hurst Stunner - 20x9 & 20x10
2) Hurst Shaker - 20x9 & 20x10
3) M/T SC-5 - 20x9 & 20x10.5
4) MRR VP5 - 20x9 & 20x10.5
5) Factory Reproductions Viper - 20x9 & 20x10

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey thanks a lot to those who've posted in response. The info you've provided is a great starting off point and I've seen some cool stuff I can delve deeper into! When I make a decision and get them put on i'll try to post a pic as soon as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.