Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dip'd Chrome Clads

13K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Ohgeez 
#1 · (Edited)
Dipped my stock wheels over the weekend. Didn't think black wheels on blue wouldn't look right so I thought I'd try silver metalizer to give it some color. Overall very happy with the way it turned out. The wheels came out more of a gunmetal gray than a silver but look good on the car, esp when the sun hits them.

Advise: If you plan on dipping your wheels I suggest spraying all the way to the edge of the wheel where the tire mounts. It will save you clean-up time and will help protect the edge of the plasti dip. Also even if you don't plan on painting the inside of the wheel spray the dip on the back side of the spokes to protect the backside edge of the dip.

Updated Pics on Page 3

Before:

After:

Close-up:

Thanks for looking

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm actually surprised how much I like that better than stock. Awesome job on that.

Reactions: R6snods
#4 ·
WOW is all I can say. They look REALLY good especially against the blue of the car.

They look a LOT better than stock!

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. Felt like the chrome was drawing too much attention away from the car as a whole rather than adding too it. Not sure what Chrysler's intentions were with that style of wheel in chrome.

#11 ·
that looks real nice...i think I would have done the full interior though...still great looking

#12 ·
Thanks man. I'm planning on doing the insides (and possibly the pockets) of the wheels black. wanted to wait and see what the brake dust looked like on the silver to decide a color. Most of the dust is dark brown so im leaning towards black.

#13 ·
How are things holding up so far? Really considering doing this to my clads. I actually really like them on these cars. Super easy to maintain and keep their shine for a good 2 weeks. Just looking to make them a little more subtle as you have done.

Is the brake dust and general grime more noticeable after dipping them? Are they flaking or chipping? How do they clean up?

#14 ·
It's growing on me........I have the EXACT SAME CAR. but....

Have y'all ever noticed those "Before" and "After" commercials where the woman has droopy hair, face blemishes, no smile, etc. in the "Before" picture? Well, I noticed you got rid of those weeds in the cracks of the sidewalk on the "After" shot !!!! :)

nice job.......where did the "Dodge" center caps come from? I have Goat heads. Your mod makes the wheel lugs stand out more......nice !

#15 ·
SoCallenger,

The wheels are holding up fine. No chip/flaking/peeling at all. If you plan on doing this be sure to do a good prep job and spray around all the edges like i mentioned before. As far as the brake dust you cant even tell its there. After about a week of driving you can notice them start to dull a little. I wash them as normal with soap and a towel and the shine comes back. I haven't had the courage to try out an automatic car wash yet so i cant report that they can withstand that, but they did fine while driving 75 mph in a downpore.

Redliner,

Ha ha ha ya I knew someone would say something about the before and after. The before pick was taken about a month earlier. It was too dark when i started to take a before pick. The center caps came on the wheels when i bought the car.

#16 ·
Those look great!!!

I really like the way they go with the car and the fact that you went for something other than the normal black. I find full flat black wheels look like four black holes on these cars and do not do justice to these rides.

#17 · (Edited)
Dipped my stock wheels over the weekend. Didn't think black wheels on blue wouldn't look right so I thought I'd try silver metalizer to give it some color. Overall very happy with the way it turned out. The wheels came out more of a gunmetal gray than a silver but look good on the car, esp when the sun hits them.

Advise: If you plan on dipping your wheels I suggest spraying all the way to the edge of the wheel where the tire mounts. It will save you clean-up time and will help protect the edge of the plasti dip. Also even if you don't plan on painting the inside of the wheel spray the dip on the back side of the spokes to protect the backside edge of the dip.

Before:

After:

Close-up:

Thanks for looking
I like:eek:ogle: Have the exact same car no sunroof and same stripe so you have given me "food for thought"the rims looks like a anodized blue,to each their own but a big improvement over black
I guess Im one of the few that still likes chrome for me it makes the paint pop! Talk to a body shop you trust and see about clear coating the rims for added durability by doing so it will prevent brake dust from eating at the finish..heres a thought apply the same treatment to the calipers eh!

#19 ·
as stated before, thedip if coated heavy enough will withstand a power washer at about a foot away, maybe even 6inches or so! I had mine dipped black for over a year, had no issues, if I really wanted to shine them up a bit, i just took an armor all wipe to it after washing, shined up great and stayed great for a while. Removal isn't hard unless you use light coats.....the thicker the coat the better it bonds to itself, then its easier to peel in large sections. I got tired of peeling mine a few weeks ago so I power sprayed at direct spray to remove most all the plasti-dip. wheels still look brand ne like they did from factory.

#21 ·
Ya definitely don't use this near a heat source brakes, exhaust, and I would say probably shouldn't be used in the engine bay. I could only imagine what it would look like with flaming chunks of this flew off while driving down the road.

#22 ·
blucheer now that you've said something I am seeing a hint of blue on the wheels. Thinking that the camera freaked out and enhanced all the blues, or perhaps the wheels were reflecting a tad bit of blue from the paint. The wheels dont look blue at all in person. I'll have to see about getting another picture to compare.

#23 ·
Looks badass..I like it!! I added Vinyl graphics to my chrome clads to spice them up!! Great idea buddy

#24 ·
Finally got around to getting pics in the sunlight. Wheels have "cured" if you will. They have lightened up while the sparkle has reduced somewhat. No more blue hue either. They have held up fine with no chips, or peeling, clean up easy and stay looking good for around 10-14 days. To give them a little shine and depth I use a rag sprayed with a very light coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant. This should also help keep the dip pliable and lost longer.

Reactions: raceheart77
#26 ·
I ran my car thru a was while in Ft. Lauderdale on vacation. They held up. I like that look but my car is white with black stripes, so black was the choice on the wheels. They have however started to dull a little. I was wondering if I should re-do them or just wipe on something. I accidentally hit one of the spokes with the tire shine stuff and they look really good but I have a can of the clear and was thinking of putting that on to make them satin. The car has about 11k miles on it with the dip on the wheels and no peeling or issues so far other than the dulling. I agree, prep is the key. The wheels had about 1k miles on them when I pulled them off. I cleaned and cleaned and used their cleaner and gave them a alcohol bath. After they dried I used the dip like in the instructions and it went on great. I even added the glossy mopar caliper decals on the spokes and gave it a killer effect. I like this plasti-dip stuff. And the good part is when it is time to peel it off I'll have brand new protected wheels underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.