Hellcat tires - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hellcat tires

Hey everyone!

So, as per common forum etiquette, I did a few searches on here for this answer, and the best ones I could find are either too old (from before the Hellcat came out), or don't give enough of a satisfying answer to my questions, so here I am asking them:

I'm in a process of moving to Canada soon.
One of the first things I will go after once I'm there, is my very own Hellcat.
But being from a warm climate country (Brazil), I'm expecting I will face a different situation over there. Namely, snow.
Now, I'm not stranger to snow, having lived in Boston for 3 years, and I did drive there quite a bit. Sedans, vans, trucks, from a mini cooper up to a Dodge RAM and even moving trucks.

Now, onto the Hellcat.
Watching many videos and reviews and such, I've been noticing a common tune. Every reviewer seems to say the Hellcat is great on a straight line but doesn't do as well on corners. But it still does a surprisingly good job for such a heavy car, thanks to the 707hp.
So obviously, my first thought is changing the tires to something better.
The few pieces of advice I've seen, suggest changing them to wider varieties, and with different composition, for more grip, traction and all that good stuff.
But, for SNOW, I'm under the impression that the same rules do not apply, since a tire that improves traction on wet environments is far different than a tire that would do the same job on a warm, dry road.

So my question is: Getting the car brand new and thus being able to use the stock tires to get some cash back, what is the best compromise, if I want to go up to, say, a 305 tire on all fours? Is that even an option in this situation? Is it a good idea? Should I go wider on the back tires instead?
Thoughts?

The road never ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 AM

Garage
Honestly, my thoughts would be to garage it over the winter for the conditions your Hellcat would be subjected too aid in deterioration. This past winter I had gone up to PEI Canada to visit some relatives and am, like yourself planning to relocate up there in a few years. After witnessing the rot on quite a few cars which see that very weather there was no question that she was going into hibernation from autumn to spring.
If you do plan to drive it during the winter tread width isn't so much a factor as the ability to acquire, plus maintain traction. A 305 tire should work just fine so long as you keep the HP to conservative levels and employ winter compound or all Season tires.

MOPAR: Mostly Over-Powered And Respected
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
The Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 has good snow performance for a Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. It does not come in a 305/20, but does have a 295, but you need at least a 10" wide wheel for the 295, min 10.5 for the 315

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...06XL&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...06XL&tab=Sizes

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:34 AM

I'd get 2 sets of tires. One for summer and one for winter. For snow, the skinny tire the better. More pressure per inch to push the tire down to ground thru the snow. They also kinda slice through the snow.

2016 Go ManGo Orange Scat Pack, A8, Tazer, Mopar CAI w/headlight duct
2015 R/T Plus, bright white, Mopar CAI, Tazer, 345 valve covers, catch can - sold
2014 SXT, bright white - sold

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah garage during snow times sounds great actually.

This way I can just have a second car for winter, and keep my Hellcat equipped with the best summer stuff which is what we want anyway.
heheh great.

But away from the snow subject for a second, is wider tires the only thing, now thinking about giving it the tires it deserves?
Since most reviews seem to complain about the tires... but they never suggest which ones to get instead.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Garage
If you plan on running your Hellcat in winter here, you're gonna want a separate set of winter tires. Trust me. Unless you're moving to the warm part of Canada, like the Vancouver area.

2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392
M6, Billet Silver, SPAG

Past: 2010 R/T 5.7L M6, Brilliant Black, T/A Hood
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Big Rod View Post
Yeah garage during snow times sounds great actually.

This way I can just have a second car for winter, and keep my Hellcat equipped with the best summer stuff which is what we want anyway.
heheh great.

But away from the snow subject for a second, is wider tires the only thing, now thinking about giving it the tires it deserves?
Since most reviews seem to complain about the tires... but they never suggest which ones to get instead.
I kept my stock Hellcat wheels for the front and kept with the OEM 275/40 20 tire. You may have clearance issues if you try to go bigger plus will need a wider wheel up front. I got Hellcat replicas for the back in 10.5" width from Factory Reproductions and mounted some 315/35 20's on the back. Have to be careful which brand you get as some tires are wider than others in 315. There may still be some wheel well modding to do if they rub but not difficult to do. The 305's will fit great on a 10.5" rim but it's not the same height as the 275/40 20's and the 315/35 20 tires. That combo is the same size so odometer and speedometer are accurate. the 315's made a big difference in traction for the rear over the OEM P-Zero hockey pucs.

I agree with the others that you need a summer and winter set of tires for up there! A lot of guys are using the Nitto NT05 315/35ZR20 for summer in the rear, just be a little careful in the rain but also realize they are rated "W" for maximum speed (168 MPH) vs the OEM "(Y)" spec (186+ MPH) tires that come on the Hellcat. The tires I got are "Y" rated so max is 186 but that is fine with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	784057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	784065  

2016 Challenger Hellcat, A8, Redline Red, Sepia Laguna Leather
*SOLD* '15 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal Metallic, Sepia Laguna Leather
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
So far, from what you have said, 2 sets of tires would be the way to go.
At least 2 sets for the rear, since, although they're not rated the best, the stock tires can be used for the front, for winter driving.
The stock rears of course should not be on a 707 HP performance car for any type of spirited driving.
I have an SRT with the identical stock tires and find them inadequate for my lesser HP car.
Many HC owners I've seen go with Track Radials, which can be used for the street or drag strip, if desired. Of course being a sticky, better traction tire the track radial don't last as long.
I plan on getting a set of Mickey Thompson ET street S/S track Radials which are street legal, but pretty good for the drag strip. But you can go for something with much better traction then those stock tires without going to a track radial, if you don't plan on requiring that level of traction. As I understand it, even going with the same 275/40 size as stock, the track radials would be a big plus for traction.
A couple of examples of popular non track radials with good performance are, the Continental Extreme Contact DW, or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
EDIT: And the Atturo tires that "txborn58" got, I've heard are good traction tires for the money.

Went out to buy a 2016 Scat Pack
came home with a new 2015 SRT 392.
Granite Crystal Metallic
8-Speed Auto

Last edited by tomlaq; 03-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How about Yokohamas?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Thanked 2,880 Times in 2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Big Rod View Post
How about Yokohamas?
That's what Mark Trostle ran on his Hellcat .... Yokohama Ice Guards.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B19olihIMAA3KbC.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	784089  

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode