Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2010 SE w/ Redline Wheels: Keep 'em PD'd or Clean up Up?

I am the waffler; help me stop the waffling...

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2010 SE with the R/T Redline package, which has a set of 18" wheels I have never seen before. I know they are the stock wheels for that car/pkg, but I have just never seen this particular style on a Challenger, or I do not remember seeing one with them before.

Anyway, the previous owner Plasti-Dipped the wheels, and I am waffling on whether to remove the PD and just go with the stock look for the rims. I am not a huge fan of the PD'd rims, but I don't hate them either. However, I am not a fan of the rims' stock look on the car when sans PD. So I am at an impasse - keep the PD or ditch it.

So which do you think I should go with? (and yes, the real answer is 'neither, get a different set', and I plan on doing that in the future, but for now, I have only these two options)

Plasti-Dipped:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Motor vehicle

Stock look; sans PD:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

See less See more
#4 ·
I couldn't decide at first with my SXT, so PD one side and drove like that for at least a month....lol

Reactions: Nuke
#5 ·
Stock look, sans PD, car could use a little contrast, I don't care for the everything black look.

Reactions: Nuke
#6 ·
My thoughts exactly, except I fear once that contrast is unleashed, it will also showcase the 4x4-esque ride height of the SE suspension, which will then highlight just how inadequate the 18" rims are when wrapped in tires barely big enough for a bicycle, as these are.

Now, that might seem like a stretch to those of you unburdened by mental defects, but for people like me, who have a tenuous grasp (at best!) on sanity as it is, that whole nightmare scenario is more than "possible" if care is not taken, it's actually highly probable.

And there you have it: a perfect example of a negative feedback loop, just waiting to be unleashed upon me, quicker than the Bug & Tar spray can dissolve the layers of Plasti-Dip.

But what if the stock wheels really aren't as bad as I'm thinking...AAAHHH!!

JEEZ, at this point it would be easier to knock over a few liquor stores for the money to get some decent suspension and wheels & tires, and be done with it!

That's it, I'm not letting the madness win this time!! I WILL get rid of the plasti-dip on the wheels! I will just learn to live with the consequences should the outcome be visually unpleasant to me. That's all there is to it!!

--------------------------

New poll question: who thinks finally getting what he has been wanting for the last year - another Challenger - is going to end up putting Nuke in the nut house?

#7 ·
Well, Nuke, you aren't in the nut house in your current mental state, so I think you can continue to project that "yeah, I'm a little nuts, but not nut house nuts" facade if your nuttiness increases.

The good thing is if you don't like the de-Plastided wheels, you can re-Plastidip them easily.

#10 ·
I recently spent a week having to carry a mangled cat to the litter box and hold it upright while it did its business (yes, aiming it as well) so it wouldn't just fall over and get stuck there in its own mess, then try keep the other 3 cats in the house from killing it while it tried to recuperate, and maintain some sort of semblance of normalcy for my work day because I was still having to work (from home obviously) while all of this was going on.

Side Note: if you've never refereed a cat fight while on a conference call, you haven't lived!

Oh yeah, and the whole time I was doing all that for that damned cat, I had to keep in mind that it was what amounted to a down payment on my next Challenger (or at very least some upgrade cheddar). So if living in a house with a crazy wife and 4 cats, one of which is now worth more than the first two vehicles I ever owned combined, is not living in the nut house, it'll do until they put me in the real one!

Also, in the future please refrain from using logic and reason when responding to my posts, I'm out of practice using such instruments in discussions ever since I got married, so their sudden appearance frightens and confuses me. I like my logic to be circular and my reasoning to be thinly veiled intuition. That's what the wife has taught me, so that's what I know!

Reactions: Kai-028
#9 ·
Ask and ye shall receive:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Rim

Now that it's done, I will admit those rims & tires do not look as minuscule in the wheel wells as I thought they might. There is still way too much gap between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fender wells though, so I will need to correct that with some aftermarket or SRT suspension as soon as possible.

But all in all, I reckon un-Murdering the murdered out wheels was the way to go. Although I am not actually done yet. Thanks to the completely inadequate bug & tar options at the local Wal-Mart last night, I was not able to get all the PD off the rims. I ran out of money and patience at the car wash and just gave up after $5 and 2 hours,

But I will get me some Stoner Tarminator today so I can pick up where I left off and send the rest of that PD straight to hell!!!

#12 ·
Yaanufs, what's been going on?!?

I thought about you the other day, and wondered
what happened to you, hadn't heard from you in a ****'s age.

I had been looking at possibly making a trip down to Houston for a car show this weekend, but now that I dont have the Honda anymore, I dont think I want to make that drive...it would just be too boring knowing I would make it there in one piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.