Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Lowered Challenger, Tire width questions

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  MoparSpeed 
#1 ·
I've been looking through some threads and have come across a few questions regarding new tires.
I've got my R/T lowered on Eibach Sportline springs, they've dropped me around 2". I'm now in the market for new wheels/tires (still running my stock 18's) I've decided on a staggered setup 20x9 front 20x10 rear Factory Reproductions Viper wheels.

My question is, what is the biggest tire I can run on the rear? I would love to run a 315 but I've heard about issues with rubbing. I don't want to roll my fenders if possible. Also with the wide tires on the rear, what width should be on the front?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm running 275/40R20 on all fours with Factory Reproduction Viper wheels (20x9s on all 4). No issues with the Eibach pro springs, struts and sways. I also track this car on road courses. If you want to save money, do yourself a favor and buy the same size wheels on all four corners so you can rotate the tires. No need to stagger front and rears.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Those are the exact wheels I want too, black with the red pinstripe. I was thinking 275's would be a good all around width, 315's would probably cause issues. Do you find the contact you get with them to be more than adequate?
I've always liked the staggered look, but you really can't even notice if unless you are really looking for it, the savings are probably worth going non-staggered.

P.S. nice nose badge.

#5 · (Edited)
Grip is fine unless you intend to "light'm up". No issues in the twisties. As you know the car is heavy so it stays planted and is very predictable. The suspension upgrade, even with the 18s, makes a huge difference. With 20s and good rubber even better.

You can find the nose badge here http://www.eu-decals.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=98

You're going to want to upgrade your brakes next. I use EBC yellow stuff pads and have EBC slotted rotors at all four corners. Another 100% improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Grip is fine unless you intend to "light'm up". No issues in the twisties. As you know the car is heavy so it stays planted and is very predictable. The suspension upgrade, even with the 18s, makes a huge difference. With 20s and good rubber even better.

You can find the nose badge here Challenger Collection Stripes 3D Decals and Stripes - 3D-Decals

You're going to want to upgrade your brakes next. I use EBC yellow stuff pads and have EBC slotted rotors at all four corners. Another 100% improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I hear you, the traction I have now is hardly something to brag about, they'll spin with even the slightest of throttle gunning, I figured anything would be better than the 245's on there now. What brand of tires would you recommend? keep in mind this is my daily driver, was looking into Nitto Invos, but the guy told me they weren't good for a daily driver.

I've already got that nose badge on now, it's why i was complementing it haha ;)

#8 ·
I'm running Cooper Zeon RS3-A and they are holding up much better than the Hancooks I replaced them with. Quiet and firm sidewalls. Highly recommend.

I didn't notice the badging because of your killer stripes. Red and brilliant black just go together like peas and carrots. LOL

#9 ·
I've been looking through some threads and have come across a few questions regarding new tires.
I've got my R/T lowered on Eibach Sportline springs, they've dropped me around 2". I'm now in the market for new wheels/tires (still running my stock 18's)
How do you like:
*ride height
*ride quality

I'm considering the Eibach Sportlines or the Hotchkis SRT springs (both would lower an R/T ~ 2").

I'm planning on keeping the 18" wheels and now run 265/50-18 Nittos on them, but the tire - fender gap is still something I'd like to address with lowering springs.

Next of course will be shocks (want firmer damping) and the rear Nivomats would have to be changed out to get the rear lowered. At that point, the fronts would be changed as well. [thinking about either Eibach pro-dampers or Bilstein B6 [HD] level shocks (no B8 [sport] level avail. yet)

#10 ·
Ride height and quality are great, they look fine with 18's but I am planning to go up to 20's.
I would use the Eibach pro-dampers, they are designed to work with the Eibach springs for the perfect balance.

Here's a before and after picture of the springs

#11 ·
Thanks - that definitely closes up the gap nicely w/o looking too 'slammed'. When the tops of the tires are not visible (and too much negative camber) it doesn't look like what I want.

On the rare occasion, we get snow (no salted roads here) and tire chains become a necessity...need to keep the functionality of tire/body clearance.

I've considered the Eibachs - just don't know how their longevity is - Bilsteins will have 90%+ function even after 100k of mileage on them. So that's a consideration to get the best performing and durable shock for the $$.

I gather that you're using the Eibach Pro-dampers on yours?

#12 ·
I'm still on my stock shocks until I get the pro-dampers. I know it's a ticking time bomb but it hasn't given me any issues yet
I agree about being slammed, leave that for the imports, it just doesn't look good on a Challenger. To me the sportline's give just the right amount of drop, the pro-kit was too mild for me. Of course you still have to drive careful but it isn't anything too extreme, you might scrape the chin spoiler now and again.
I haven't looked into the Bilstein's but I only have good things to say about the quality of the Eibachs.

#13 · (Edited)
Tire width is important but the wheel offset is as well critical. I was running a 10 wide wheel on the rear (+25mm offset) with a 285 tire and the fitment was perfect (goal was that the tire had to fit in the wheel well). I switched over to a 10.5" rear wheel (still +25mm offset but wish I went to +30mm) with a 305 tire and the fitment is still good. No rubbing on the inside of the wheel well and outside of tire does not hit the quarter panel lip on full jounce. I am also lowered with the Eibach Pro kit.

#14 ·
The viper wheels only come with an +18mm offset, they are flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.