Lowered with the H&R springs - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 707 HEMI
(Thread Starter)
Lowered with the H&R springs

I just lowered my 09 R/T 6speed with H&R lowering springs. The stance is so nice, lost the wheel gap and stiffened the suspension up. But every time I go over a bump I hear thump noise from the side I hit the bump. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment (1).jpg
Views:	808
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	58055   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	58056   Click image for larger version

Name:	drop 1.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	58057   Click image for larger version

Name:	drop2.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	58058  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 HEMI View Post
I just lowered my 09 R/T 6speed with H&R lowering springs. The stance is so nice, lost the wheel gap and stiffened the suspension up. But every time I go over a bump I hear thump noise from the side I hit the bump. Any suggestions?
How is the quality of the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM

You may want to check this out...

I may have an easy fix for the “Dreaded Suspension Pop” a lot of us are hearing, especially
car’s built in the fall of 2008.

The problem (for me at least) was in the sway bar end links. Thanks to Grey Ghost for the heads-up on this.
Here’s a picture of how it came assembled from the factory.
Looking from left to right is the ball socket, rubber boot, flange (rusty), washer, sway bar, nut and then the stud end (also rusty).

Report this image

The problem is that the stud is a smaller diameter than the hole it’s meant to fit in, for both the sway bar and the strut connection points. I’m sure some bean counter decided they could get away with it because “no one would notice” and they’d save a few pennies.

There is a tremendous amount of force exerted on this link, and it seems the factory “solution” was to put a cheap washer on one side to spread the load and try to hold it in place. It didn’t work. When the stud was forced to move in the larger hole, the popping sound was born.

The fix is easy. You’ll need a 21mm box wrench and a 10mm socket. Since I didn’t have a box wrench in that size, I used a 21mm (or 13/16”) deep socket and Vise-Grips. The object is to make sure the stud (and therefore the ball socket) does not rotate when removing the nut. It’s probably best not to use an impact wrench for this to avoid spinning the stud. I easily held the stud stationary by clamping on to the ‘flange’ with the Vise-Grips.

Here’s a picture as it’s being disassembled showing the difference in size between the end link stud and the sway bar hole. (red arrow)

Report this image

When the end link has been removed from the car, just take a hammer and knock off the washer. It’s lightly press-fit on the ‘shoulder’ portion of the stud (red arrow) and will come off easily.

Report this image

Report this image

Why remove the washer? This is the answer to the whole problem. The ‘shoulder’ area of the stud is just the right diameter to fit in the sway bar and strut tower holes without any slop. The ‘flange’ on the stud will center it in place, so just re-assemble the end link without the washer and everything fits nice and snug. The washer could be used on the other (nut) side, but I left it off.
You'll use this same procedure for the upper connection point on the strut.

Report this image

I’ve driven the car now for a few weeks and put many hundred’s of miles on it and I’ve never heard that ‘popping” sound again…not once.
I can’t guarantee it will work for you, but I found a solution that didn’t cost me a dime and I’m now a whole 4 washers lighter!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Sexy!. She's Looking good.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM

Man that looks good! Love the gray R/T fender strip too!

Michael

Corsa Sport Catback, Barton shifter, and Eibach Pro Kit springs.
SOLD 76 Chevy Camaro, 496 BBC, 4L80E Trans, street driven to the track, 6.74 N/A 1/8 mile.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to 707 HEMI
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, the ride quality is great, but then again most of the cars I owned were lowered. A 78 Camaro, 94 Toyota Corolla and 03 Expedition. I found out, I didn't put the a washer between the shock mount and shock, no more noise... yay!! I'm getting a lot of ideas on different mods. I only had the car for 3 weeks and done over a 12 dozen mods. The biggest were the 2.5" dual exhaust and lowering it on H&R springs. Takes turns great, sway bars next. Waiting on my side markers tint from Big Worm.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 HEMI View Post
Thanks, the ride quality is great, but then again most of the cars I owned were lowered. A 78 Camaro, 94 Toyota Corolla and 03 Expedition. I found out, I didn't put the a washer between the shock mount and shock, no more noise... yay!! I'm getting a lot of ideas on different mods. I only had the car for 3 weeks and done over a 12 dozen mods. The biggest were the 2.5" dual exhaust and lowering it on H&R springs. Takes turns great, sway bars next. Waiting on my side markers tint from Big Worm.
What noise was it making? Also, do sway bars go under the car or behind the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM

I sent you a pm...the drop looks soooooooo good man!!

2010 Challenger T/A
"BEASTMODE"
DX Strut bar
Rezo delete
Diablo tuned
392 chin spoiler
392 engine covers
Oracle halos & fogs
Lexani LX15 20"wheels
BT catch can
Kenwood touch screen
Mopar T/A hood
Mopar Functional Ram Air Hood Kit
T/A stripe kit
Eibachs & Bilstiens
Hurst line lock
Hurst nitro stick
Hurst comp shifter
Procharged & intercooled
Drake fuel door
#9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Do the 2009 6-speeds also have the black load-leveling Nivomat rear shocks? Something to check, if they are then you'll need to swap out your rear shocks if you didn't do that as part of the spring install.

Your car looks great! Stock height is just too high.

- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

#10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Mine is an 09 and after he answered my pm i went out and crawled under to be slightly dismayed by finding the nivomats in there..i mean there great shocks but I need to drop my bish baaaad!! I love the look of 707 hemis car..thats the exact look im going after...do you guys know of some good affordable rear shocks as replacements? they are only in the rear right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode