Nitrogen leaking??? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Nitrogen leaking???

My car came with nitrogen in the tires. After driving the car for about 1700 miles the TPMS sensor said the right rear tire was at 21 lbs WTF???? Anyone have this happen to them? Dealer can't find any reason for leak. Pressure sensor is good, tire is good, bead is good, valve stem is good. GGRRRRR So they purge tire and refill at no charge. We will see what hapens in s few days. This kind of stuff drives me crazy....

2010 Challenger SRT 8 Auto - Bright Silver
WebElectric Sequential Tail Lights, BT Catch Can, Silver Amber Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Interior Trim Welt - Red, Cup Holder Inlays

2003 F-150 SVT Lightning - Black (the fastest)SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess71 View Post
After driving the car for about 1700 miles the TPMS sensor said the right rear tire was at 21 lbs WTF???? Anyone have this happen to them? Dealer can't find any reason for leak. Pressure sensor is good, tire is good, bead is good, valve stem is good.
First off, Nitrogen has nothing to do with it, air would react the same to a leak. Second, either someone is messing with you and let the air out...or one of the things you said was good...isn't. I am assuming you confirmed the pressure was at 21 lbs. before they refilled? That would have verified the accuracy of the sensor and vehicle electronic sensing system. You might have a puncture that still contains a small object. They can leak a bit then stop. These will usually start to leak again after time. The wheel should have been inflated to 50 psi and placed in a water barrel to check for leaks. Let us know if the tire pressure drops again and we will discuss options.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM

mine has about 80% nitrogen in them! ok sorry i had to say it! so far i havent had any trouble
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM

(Thread Starter)
skialfs - Yes pressure was confirmed and tire was inflated & placed in water barrel as stated. Thanks We'll see..
R/TCLASSIC - hahaha I know air is mostly nitrogen. I did not request nitro from the dealer...the car came that way.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
skialfs - Yes pressure was confirmed and tire was inflated & placed in water barrel as stated. Thanks We'll see..
R/TCLASSIC - hahaha I know air is mostly nitrogen. I did not request nitro from the dealer...the car came that way.
That's good to hear...any leak should have resulted during a water test if observed carefully. Slow leaks are hard to see in water, you really have to be patient to catch them. If it happens again, the next step in my mind would be to have the tire unmounted, the wheel and tire bead carefully inspected with an eye loop. If no defects are found, re-mount the tire, balance, inflate and again water test PLUS use leak check,(soapy solution), around the bead and the tire valve stem seat and the end of the valve itself. If no leaks are found, this should solve the problem. If not, then demand a new tire and wheel from the dealer. You will be justified in doing so at that point. Good luck and hope you don't have any further problems. I would also suggest checking the tire pressure with any type/brand air pressure gauge every couple days yourself just to keep an eye on it. Just keep in mind that temperature variations will change your pressure readings, higher pressure in warmer temps, lower in cold temps. I realize the SRT gives you pressure readings with EVIC, but I would want to confirm that wheel a couple of times.

Last edited by skialfs; 02-01-2011 at 09:43 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the great advice. I have been checking pressure with a gauge and it is holding. The dealer here in Florida was great, took me right in with no appointment and even let me stay in the service bay and watch the tech.
I thought the nitro was supposed to eliminate the fluctuation in pressure due to temperature...no?
#7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
I thought the nitro was supposed to eliminate the fluctuation in pressure due to temperature...no?
Yes, Nitrogen helps mitigate pressure fluctuation which is why race cars use it. When temps increase due to high speeds and cornering loads, having a tire pressure that remains steadier during these changes allow crew chief/mechanics to tune their race cars more easily. It is one less thing they have to worry about. Pressures still change with Nitrogen, but it is less severe. Airplanes use nitrogen for the same reasons but also because Nitrogen is drier than air and will contain less moisture which is a bad thing at high altitudes. We DO NOT NEED straight Nitrogen in our tires. Air already is about 78% Nitrogen. It is a complete scam. It does not hurt to have it, we just don't need it. I have also heard that nitrogen inside a tire is better because it "limits the effect of air breaking down the rubber inside the tire allow longer life". That's pretty funny considering we can't limit the effects of air...OUTSIDE our tires! LOL. So why worry about the inside?
#8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well here's the update...the pressure was low again, 30psi, so back to the dealer I go. They re-check the tire and still can't find any leaks. They tell me to continue to watch and check the pressure and come back if it happens again. I stated that this was unacceptable and that the problem had to be resolved today. I asked them to unmount the tire and check the tire and rim. The service rep stated that if they unmounted the tire and did not find anything wrong that I would have to pay. This was also unacceptable due to the fact that I have the Titanium tire & rim package on the car. He again told me to watch and wait. I then said that I would call Dodge Customer Service and see how they suggest I proceed. At that point the Service Manager came out of her office, took the paperwork and told me she would take care of it. Fifteen minutes later the tire was patched and back on the car. The culprit was a finishing nail about 1" long (which the tech showed me)that they found after unmounting the tire. The cost was $39.95. I will be reimbursed by the Titanium package. Thanks again for your input.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
The culprit was a finishing nail about 1" long (which the tech showed me)that they found after unmounting the tire. The cost was $39.95. I will be reimbursed by the Titanium package. Thanks again for your input.
I'm very happy they finally found the culprit. I'm also glad you stood up for yourself. Good for you! I was afraid it might be something still in there. I hadn't heard of the "Titanium Package" but it sounds like it already may have paid for itself. Glad everything worked out for you and enjoy that ride. Mine is still in my garage with a foot and a half of ice right outside. I go in there and say "hi Baby"once in awhile, but can't wait till the ice, snow and especially the SALT is gone for good.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skialfs View Post
Mine is still in my garage with a foot and a half of ice right outside. I go in there and say "hi Baby"once in awhile, but can't wait till the ice, snow and especially the SALT is gone for good.
I feel your pain. I will be flying home soon, but only for two weeks. My baby gets to stay where there is no snow or ice. The salt in the air here is pretty bad but it's nice & warm so I can wash/wipe it away every day.
Where in NJ are you? I'm in Essex County

Last edited by princess71; 02-05-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode