Petty's Rear Strut Brace - Help me diagnose a rattle - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Petty's Rear Strut Brace - Help me diagnose a rattle

Hello y'all, installed the petty's garage rear strut brace a few days ago and have been troubleshooting a rattle on the drivers side (rear of course). I have the brace installed correctly after viewing several threads on here and youtube videos because the pics in the instructions that came with the brace were not sufficient. Each nut has been torqued per instructions, there were no noticeable loose parts and the mounts sit flush on the shock mounts. i attempted to muscle the brace to see what is rattling but it is solid as a rock as it sits. The rattle is definitely on the drivers side.

In the process of troubleshooting i removed only the drivers side cups, washers and nuts and drove around and now the car is quiet as stock, so there has to be something with the hardware i would think. After removing the hardware several times i have damaged the threads (sits above where the nut is tightened all the way down so should not be a loose nut) so will be chasing those threads to clean it up and will get new lock nuts, in the meantime the drivers side mount is not bolted down and there is no noise whatsoever.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and if so what did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

2016 Scat Pack Shaker 392, Granite Crystal, all options except technology group.
Ordered: 16OCT15
Delivered: 09DEC15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 392flybyU; 03-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep, You might want to put a piece of rubber to isolate it on both sides. I did this and the rubber was about a 1/4 inch thick between where it sits metal to metal. I had to do this to the front brace as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Killer Bee" Challenger
PG serial#08
392 SRT S/C
Performance work completed by Arrington in Martinsville, VA
Petty's Garage Performance Package completed in Level Cross, NC
I'm also working on an AAR 'cuda conversion on a 2009 SRT Challenger! Follow the thread! It's gonna be Cadatastic!

The Following User Says Thank You to VenomBee For This Useful Post:
392flybyU (03-17-2017)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomBee View Post
Yep, You might want to put a piece of rubber to isolate it on both sides. I did this and the rubber was about a 1/4 inch thick between where it sits metal to metal. I had to do this to the front brace as well.
thanks for the idea. just to clarify, did you place the rubber bushing underneath the brace where it meets the shock mount and on top of the brace but underneath the metal cup? Do you have any pics of your install by chance?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Yes I cut the rubber to sit between the brace and shock mount. I did the same on the strut tower brace as well. I don't have any pics because I sold the car. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
so after adding rubber bushings and retightening the nuts i took it for a test drive and the trunk sounded like the trunk was open or i had a box of tools in the trunk and would rattle over bumps. checked that and of course trunk was closed. Took another look at the hardware and it was tight. Drove again sounded the same. Took all the hardware off of the shock mounts and left the the brace attached by the seat mounts. Now it is quiet as can be. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, rattling like crazy when everything is torqued down and quiet as can be without it. would there be any harm in letting it be as is? gonna give Petty's Garage a call tomorrow to get their take on it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I would give them a call. Sounds like something out of alignment with with the brace or the car. It sounds crazy but you would be surprised how much the tolerances are off from the factory. I hope that is not the case. Maybe Petty will send you a new brace. I'm out of ideas. I hope it all works out for you.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
so in the process of troubleshooting this, i looked in the wheel well and noticed as i tighten the nuts on top of the brace part of the shock mount bolts back out a little which causes the part that is holding up the strut to rattle. will be taking off the wheels so i can get a wrench under there and hold it while i tighten it from inside the trunk. I recently lowered the car, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Will post up afterwards if that cured my problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hope that works. Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Got mine out of the barn last night and drove it and also drove it to work this morning and I experienced no rattling or any unusual noises. This was the first time driving it since the install...

2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker - Go Mango! Hurst Elite Series Cat Back exhaust, Petty Garages front and rear shock tower braces, Moroso catch can, 84mm throttle body, Hurst shifter.

Last edited by donzinger; 03-22-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode