Dodge Challenger Forum banner

R/T owners, here's your affordable big brake solution

292K views 449 replies 114 participants last post by  Caddy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been driving with this larger and thicker rotor conversion (both front and rear) for 2 weeks now and it's awesome. No more shaking or fading, my R/T now feels controllable when slowing down from ALL speeds. Best part is, this is an easy conversion that doesn't require disconecting your brake lines or removing any major components. Here are the details.

Front rotor conversion adapts 14.2" SRT Challenger rotors to stock R/T caliper, using Serious Metals kit, cost: $299 Brake Conversion - seriousmf.com

Rear rotor conversion adapts 13.7" Dodge Police R/T Charger rear rotors to stock Challenger R/T caliper, using (2) Dodge OEM part #5175065AB, total cost: $165 MoparOnlineParts.com

Now, all that's left to purchase are rotors and pads. Obviously, there are MANY options depending on your budget and needs. Personally, I went with Power Slot cryo treated slotted front rotors / Power Slot regular slotted rear rotors and Wagner Thermo Quiet Semi Metallic (not ceramic) pads. Below are a parts list for an example Rotor/Pad combo needed for this conversion (not what I actually used, just a reference).

Depending on the rotors and pads, this conversion can be done for under $1K total and can easily be installed by the average Joe. You will wind up with much larger (1/2" front, 1.1" rear) diameter rotors and more importantly, much thicker rotors. The end result is an affordable big brake conversion for our R/T Challengers that will now slow you down and shouldn't warp!

Top is new Dodge rear caliper bracket for allowing larger rear rotor.

New rear rotor on right is 1.1" larger diameter!

And thicker too!

New larger rear installed.

Looks great, stops better!
Qty Price Total
Title: DODGE CHARGER 2007 Rear Brake Rotors - Slotted Sku: PS.63065 Desc: Premium Series Rotors - Slotted Only $242.46 (pair)$242.46
Title: DODGE CHALLENGER 2009 Front Brake Rotors - Slotted Sku: PS.63063 Desc: Premium Series Rotors - Slotted Only $298.41 (pair)$298.41
Title: CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2006 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Extended Wear Sku: 106.07310 Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear & Scorched $54.00 (axle set)$54.00
Title: DODGE CHARGER 2007 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Extended Wear Sku: 106.10570 Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear & Scorched $42.60 (axle set)$42.60
Enter Coupon Code * All orders over $100 qualify for FREE SHIPPING via UPS Ground within the 48 States only
SHIPPING METHODSSelect Country: United States of America Enter your ship-to ZIP Code: Select Shipping Option: $0.00 - Ground $0.00 - Will Call (La Habra, Ca) Subtotal: $637.47 Total: $637.47

See less See more
#291 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. We have not disconnected any of the brake line fittings. I did try pumping the brake pedal with the car running and it would eventually start to show some resistance but as soon as I stopped the resistance would go away. Do you think I gave up too early? Also, should we be able to see the pistons move if the caliper is not in place?

#294 ·
You don't
want to pump the pedal unless the calipers are mounted in place, you will blow the piston out and loose all the fluid. If you did not remove the lines from the calipers, but pushed the piston in to make room for the new pads, it will require you to pump the pedal to get the pistons back out and reach the rotors. It usually moves a little at a time when you pump the pedal, especially if you did all 4 wheels at the same time, so it make take a few pumps to re-seat. Hope this helps...

Reactions: bamberg and salvy59
#296 ·
Still no luck with the brakes. I pumped for about 15 minutes and it never got past a small amount of resistance. The piston apparently moved a little but there's almost no pressure in the hose. And as soon as I stop pumping there's no pressure at all. I tried pulling the fuses for the ABS valves and motor as well as the #2 fuse for the PCM but it had no effect.

Any ideas on what I should check next?

#297 ·
Well, it sounds like you introduced air into your brake system some how. I would recommend bleeding your brakes to see if that gives you proper pedal.

#301 ·
We bled the brakes a couple of times and saw no sign of air. However, we're only doing the front brakes right now and so we only bled them from there. The instructions for bleeding the brakes say to do all four though, in a specific order. Could this be my problem? We never even looked at the rear ones; could any air we introduced be back there?

#298 ·
Will this kit work with Boss 338 20" wheels?

#305 ·
Success! We talked to our local mechanic who gave us some advice on how to bleed the brakes. We'd been doing it through pumping the brakes the way you do with the older cars, and when we followed the mechanic's advice we found that there was indeed air in the system. Now that the air is out the brakes are working fine. I'm going to leave doing the rear brakes until after Carlisle; I don't want to take any chances on not being able to take the Challenger down there.

Thank you to cannonballcobb, sean65, RT'sRT, and Angry Dad for all of your help and advice.

#309 ·
anywhere i can find something similar to that in the same price range or if i can get the same parts used in this post since it looks like the links are down and seriousmf might be out of business? link to upgraded kits for a r/t would be really appreciated (same price range please) thank you

#311 ·
I'm wondering if there is a alternative for the fronts since the company that offered them is no longer in bizz.

#312 ·
Stop tech makes some stuff that will fit. I hear their brakes are better than Brembos.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#315 ·
#316 ·
Reactions: 1971cuda
#319 ·
2015 sxt.....running with a late model mustang gt off the light I got it up to about 107 mph.....he was about 2 car lengths in front of me after 1/4 mile...had to stop quickly....no problem...we turned right and did id again...when I put on brakes at about 104 mph...hit them hard...felt a flutter through pedal...and some brake fade....got home and smelled brakes....now at 60mph or slower...no problems.....100mph to 0mph....fluttering through pedal....rotors I presume...where to buy a hp replacement rotors and better pads....or just turn rotors and better pads....thanks for any help

#320 ·
Usually I would advise someone to make sure that they're not sensing pad material on the rotors, but given that you performed hard braking a few times in a row the pad material should be gone. I don't know about the '15 SXT, but the '10 RT warps rotors like it's eating candy. The rotors are just undersized. Thankfully I got in on the Serious Metal upgrade before they went under, but I would suggest to you that pads are not your solution for the warping issue, you need a better rotor (larger if possible).

To prevent the fading, IMO, yes look at some more aggressive pads, but also consider stainless steel brake lines and a higher quality brake fluid (more resistant to heat).

#322 ·
When doing the brembo upgrade onto an rt, you need:
Calipers
Pads
Rotors
Lines
Front spindles
Rear hubs
Fluid

If you can get all these parts from a donor car, in ready to go onto your car type condition, for about $1200 it's a good deal.
There's plenty of write ups on the forums on how to do the swap your self if you are that type of guy.

The factory rt wheels will no longer fit after the swap as well

#326 ·
You can do the police rear caliper bracket mod and install a larger rotor on the rear pretty cheap.

#325 · (Edited)
Call Luke at Steve White parts and order the Stop Tech brake kits. Brembo quality at a lower price. Stop Tech brakes are the choice of many pro race drivers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#327 ·
hi all who already have the SMF kit!

i am interested to know the the difference in the caliper bracket supplied with the SMF kit vs the stock RT bracket? also if possible anyone with better PC skills than me, could you supply those of us who missed the boat on this one a picture of the adapter bracket along with the dimensions needed to make our own? not looking to step on anyone's toes if someone is already remaking these brackets, i will gladly pay for a set. i do have a local person that i trust that can make a set provided i have the correct measurements.

thanks

#328 ·
#331 ·
thanks, i am looking for something more specific with the sizes & dimensions so i can try to replicate a set for my car.

unless anyone with a set is looking to sell them, i would be most interested.

thanks