Should I wait on lowering my ride? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Should I wait on lowering my ride?

I have a 2011 RT and Ive been doing some research on the effects of lowering your challenger. Ive been hearing all these great things and they really do look sexier too

Is there any negatives to lowering your ride ( even if you do it right ) and also, everything on my car is stock. I have been saving up for a long time now to do alot of mods to my car.

Been wanting to put 20's on my ride and wondering should I wait for the new wheels or can I put the aftermarket springs on it to lower it then put the wheels on later?? Whats a good amount to drop it also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Having owned other lowered cars in the past, and now owning an SRT8, I feel the stock height of the SRT8 is just about a perfect compromise (I am not sure how much different the height of the R/T is). Does not drag bottom or scrape curbs too often if your careful, and can make it over the all too common speed bumps without dragging, etc. Also at the stock SRT8 ride height the front spoiler just barely clears the typical concrete parking lot wheel stops without touching (by maybe 1/4 inch)

2010 Plum Crazy SRT8 with Manual Transmission-------

Mods list: K&N Typhoon CAI, Skip Shift Eliminator , Petty Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 91CAI tune, License Plate backup camera with Lockpick V2, mini spare tire and adapter, Moroso Catch Can, some BT bling, 3rd brake pulser, Larry's mod Hurst shifter, coming soon Web Electric Sequential tail lights and LED under door lights
#3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only negatives to lowering a car are if you go TOO low, speed bumps and potholes become your worst enemies, and depending on what kit you use, you sacrifice some comfort. A vehicle with a lower center of gravity and a firmer spring will of course handle and corner better, which are pluses. And as you pointed out, they look so much better. If you use the right kit, you won't affect safety by any means.

[CENTER]GALVATRON
2010 TorqStorm Supercharged plum crazy Challenger R/T on 22" VOSSEN CV3 wheels!!
Current 1/4 mile (before supercharger): 12.965@105.61mph bangin' 'n clangin'!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have personally lowered several vehicles. Two BMW's. 540 and 735, Ford Lightning, Chevy SSR. I have also raised two Toyota trucks.
Everyone of them had a compromise in the ride except the BMW 540.
I have thought about it several times for my '10 SRT8 and looked at the Eibach Pro Series.
A little too much for me to install this myself, and if I have it installed it is $2500-$3000. Not so sure if it is worth it.
I spent money on other mods, Cervini hood, Yellow Jacket wheels, custom stripe, new Nitto Invo tires. Hopefully I can post new photos soon.

Last edited by GAFETTAIA; 12-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I also did the Diablo intune.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
I have BC coilovers on mine, it's lowered a good 2" and I have no complaints about clearance or ride quality. The coilovers allow adjustable damping and ride height. I clear speed bumps and don't scrape pulling into my driveway, the ride on the freeway is just a little more firm than stock with the setting I use (Set at 15 on a range of 1 to 32, 1 being the hardest). The only "problems" are, as mentioned above, potholes. With this setting the potholes can be pretty jarring, but shouldn't be an issue with a softer setting, IMO.

I do have to be more careful pulling into parking lots and such as if I take the dip too fast then it will scrape, so slow and easy pulling in and out is key. Small compromise for a huge difference in looks and handling, IMO.

Personally, I would lower it first and then do wheels so that you can make sure you have enough clearance, particularly when turning.

- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Have you thought about the airlift system. You get the best of both worlds and the ride is great. Raise it when you need it higher curbs, speed bumps. Lower it when you want it completely slammed.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
I was looking into the airlift system because someone I know has that. Just too much money for me. Id rather spend those thousand dollars elsewhere like swaping for a 392.

@ GAFETTAIA- why so much money? I look at the website and the springs are around $300. Why would they be that much for installation???

I dont want my ride TOO LOW. The 1.5" looks pretty good to me. Just low enought to get the benefits of handling and MPG without scrapping too much. Seems like alot of people love the Eibach's
#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Dude its about 2 grand you can find good deals on them just have to look.about the same as a good coilover lowering system. Can't beat the cool factor, I have several friends with air ride systems and they all swear by it. That is gonna be my next purchase here in a few weeks.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Do I need the coilover system?? Cant I just get the springs?

I dunno man, maybe. Ill look into it. Just so much I want to do ( swap for a 392, supercharge the 392, methanol injection, wheels, rims, different hood, sound system, cams/headers etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode