Dodge Challenger Forum banner

sticky 255s enough?

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  BlackHemi41 
#1 ·
I've been looking at AutoX tires, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R seems to be the 200TW favorite. The problem is the only 20 inch sizes are 255/40 and 285/35. I would like 285/35/20, but it's a bit wide for my WRTs, which are only 9 inches wide. 255/40/20 is the ideal size for a 20x9 rim, but I hear all the time on this forum that 255s aren't enough for Challengers, that they need 295s, 305s or whatever.

Would I be losing performance by going that narrow for AutoX? I don't really want to buy another set of wheels, unless I find a really good deal. And no I won't squeeze the wrong size onto a skinny rim. I just don't believe in doing that. Also, the 255/40/20 Potenzas are only a 97 load rating, which is lower than stock. I'm wondering if that may be a concern as well, especially at the limit and on the track.

#4 ·
I only see 245/35R20 with 95W XL rating and 295/30R20 with 101W XL rating on Bridgestone's website...

In any case, the former is skinnier than you may desire but is within range for your 9" rim. Less tire actually seems to be preferred relative to the rim width though as it gives a better contact patch (I can't point to direct sources at the moment but have read it several times on autox/road racing forums).

A 95 load rating is 1521 pounds - I know I'd be comfortable with that.

The tire may not be the widest but I think you'd be MORE than satisfied with the traction improvement over OEM all seasons.

It'd be interesting to see back to back runs with a skilled, consistent driver with the only difference being 10-50mm of tire width. There's going to be a greater difference in tire compound (200TW performance summer vs. 400TW sporty all season) than tire width.

I run the 245/45R18 RE71Rs on my winter/track 18x8 Boss 338 wheels. My god what an an improvement over BFG Sport Comp-2s!

Have fun out there!

#5 ·
18s certainly would the best way to go, but I'm not sure I want to buy another set of wheels, especially when I have some WRTs sitting here in need of rubber. Although I have considered that option. Maybe if I can find a good deal on something that will clear the 4 piston Brembos. It's not off the table yet.

I found the Potenza RE71R in 255/40/20 and 285/35/20 listed on Tire Rack. If the 95 load rating works for you Frankenberry, then I guess I shouldn't worry about the 97. You find the 245 is adequate? That's kinda been the thing I'm trying to understand, just how important is section width on our big beasts? I'm more concerned with how it works than how it looks.

#9 ·
For the money the bravado tribute wheels are great. They come in 18x9 or 18x10 and will clear the brembos without any issues. And if you want the stickiest tires on the market look into the Nitto NT01.
View attachment 783945

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
do you have any experience with these in autocross? i've read that tires like this don't work well for autocross because they don't get warm enough in such short runs

#8 ·
Yeah, if you're trying to keep expenses down just slap those 255 RE71Rs on your WRTs and enjoy!

Just a forewarning, if they're for daily use as well they get can squirrely in the rain - especially above 60mph. If you want something with more stability in the rain (but still better than all seasons) maybe look into a high/ultra/extreme summer tire. Options like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport with 30k mile warranty (now named Pilot 4S apparently) or Continental ExtremeContact Sport (the newer DW with 30k mile warranty).

I actually loadup my RE71Rs on Boss 338s into the backseat, drive over on my BFG Sport Comp-2s on stock 20" Heritage wheels, and swap at the track via the aluminum jack, stands, chocks, impact gun and torque wrench that are in the trunk. Works for me since the wheels were relatively cheap and dual purpose, and it increases the longevity I get out of the RE71Rs.

#11 ·
Take it from someone who ran a year on 245 RE71s if your serious about it and want to go fast get yourself a set of cheap 19" wheels and go at least 275. The more tire you can get under her the better. But if your just having fun and trying it out go with the 255s you'll still have a blast and will be faster than anyone else running a different brand of tire.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Thanks for the input. I probably would be better off getting another set of wheels more suited for that kind of use. I wish the WRTs were just a half inch wider so I could fit 285s. I know our heavy beasts can really benefit from a wider footprint. I may go with a set of wider 20s or dedicated 18s or 19s. It's kinda up in the air at this point, so I'll see what deals I come across.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.