Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Telstars installed (barely!!)

5K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Toxic11 
#1 ·
Got the custom-made Telstars and had them installed today. They look fantastic in my opinion. Really set the car apart. The installer was concerned because the front caliper is VERY close to the wheel face (see photo). It is closer than it appears in the photo. My guess is the thickness of a penny. With heating, would this be expected to expand enough to push it into the wheel? I hope not. Wheel specifications for those interested: 18 x 8. +12mm offset. 5 x 115 mm pattern. Tires are stock and appropriate for the rim width. However, I think a wider set of tires would look better. That will be the next purchase! We'll let the wife cool down a bit from this purchase first!:p

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What about using spacers?

BTW they look very good.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. You should never trust your eyes! I pulled out the old feeler gauge set and measure the gap. It was 0.107 inches (2.72 mm). That should be just fine, tight, but fine. Wheel flex should be minimal and they shouldn't expand that much! For those asking, the wheels were $400 each and took 3 weeks to arrive. I agree that lowering the car would make it even better. Another day perhaps. Thanks for the input.

#12 ·
you can get 3mm spacers

#13 · (Edited)
Now only two Challengers in the world that have them. That we know of........

Now you need to get it lowered and a good tip. Never get them wet while they are hot from the brakes. You'll be working hard to get the water spots off. Best to go on ebay and get a powerball and some mothers.

#19 ·
Watchman,
I really don't know about these wheels for the SRT. As I understand it, the SRT uses different high performance brake calipers that are larger than the RT. The dimension that was tight on my set up was lateral (caliper to rear face of the wheel). I did not need a spacer for my car. I've been driving it hard with no problems (the clearance is 2.8 mm). I think the SRT brake calipers may have limitations in the diameter of the rim. However, this is a guess. Others more knowledgeable on the subject may chime in. Good luck.

#30 ·
Actually MF, as new as yours are I would have had them clear coated. That way you would never have to polish them. Polished aluminum oxidizes. That why you have to keep polishing them. But I found one on ebay for $25. There a big one and a mini one. I got the big one. Took all wheels off the car and did them. Looks awesome. No difference in abrasion choices. Mothers® PowerBall®

#31 ·
Richmond,

After you have them cleaned up with the Powerball have you thought about maybe coating them with Zoop seal? It's supposed to be good for a year or so.

#33 · (Edited)
Sadly I just googled it and it looks like they went out of business! :(

I originally found the product on Horsepower TV after they polished a set of raw wheels they used the product and I did some research and it looked like the stuff worked.

Now that it's defunct not sure if there is a similar product out there.

Googled again, found a good thread worth the read.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/750729-zoop-seal-no-more.html

Reactions: Richmonddjs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.