Tire advice please? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tire advice please?

When I took off my 20"s Firestone Firehawk tires this past fall (to put on my winter tires) I found a nail in an interior sidewall - which explained the slow leak I could never find.

Understand repairing a sidewall puncture is not cool to do, and don't want to. So, it's time to buy a new Summer Performance tires.

My three remaining Fire Hawks (original 2012 tires that came on the car, now with 35K on the car) still have life in them but they will go in a year or two - so I am good with replacing all four.
Only issues I ever had with them was that they did not like wet roads too much at all...and I always take them off in mid October to avoid any snow, cause they totally suck on it and cold roads too...

Context: I drive a max of 1000 miles a year, if that, and the car is my/family's daily driver...SXT, SS, STP, and an f'ing sweet ride too. And no, I'm not racing anyone..none of you for sure!

Decisions:

I can buy a Brand New set of 4 Fire Hawk GT's for $675 Cdn (from a tire shop I found on Kijiji) Today while calling around tire shops, I was told many folks remove the Fire Hawks on purchase and put on better tires.. When I called to ask about them, most were like..."err...Firestone? Really?"

or -

I can get the Firestone Indy 500's @ $222+ each (great for summer, great summer driving reviews - and I have winter tires so these might fit as these are not for winter...but wtf do I know...that's why I'm writing this...)

or - Cooper Zeon RS3A @ $241+ each (at a place close to me) - really good reviews

or do I go for the Continental DWS06 @ $318+ (also close to me and Top reviews so far - and is by far the most expensive... but the ride will be outstanding.....assuming I don't have another nail creep into my interior sidewall)

or - Gen G Max AS 03 @$288 each - and the reviews I read were not too great....

Any other suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks and happy rides to you!
David

Ride on. My other car is a scooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out Atturo AZ850. Relatively new but very positive feedback including from Challenger owners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger Hellcat, A8, Redline Red, Sepia Laguna Leather
*SOLD* '15 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal Metallic, Sepia Laguna Leather
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,349 Posts
Garage
Here are Tire Rack's recommendations:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=197

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
SXT12TO (03-22-2017)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXT12TO View Post
When I took off my 20"s Firestone Firehawk tires this past fall (to put on my winter tires) I found a nail in an interior sidewall - which explained the slow leak I could never find.

Understand repairing a sidewall puncture is not cool to do, and don't want to. So, it's time to buy a new Summer Performance tires.

My three remaining Fire Hawks (original 2012 tires that came on the car, now with 35K on the car) still have life in them but they will go in a year or two - so I am good with replacing all four.
Only issues I ever had with them was that they did not like wet roads too much at all...and I always take them off in mid October to avoid any snow, cause they totally suck on it and cold roads too...

Context: I drive a max of 1000 miles a year, if that, and the car is my/family's daily driver...SXT, SS, STP, and an f'ing sweet ride too. And no, I'm not racing anyone..none of you for sure!

Decisions:

I can buy a Brand New set of 4 Fire Hawk GT's for $675 Cdn (from a tire shop I found on Kijiji) Today while calling around tire shops, I was told many folks remove the Fire Hawks on purchase and put on better tires.. When I called to ask about them, most were like..."err...Firestone? Really?"

or -

I can get the Firestone Indy 500's @ $222+ each (great for summer, great summer driving reviews - and I have winter tires so these might fit as these are not for winter...but wtf do I know...that's why I'm writing this...)

or - Cooper Zeon RS3A @ $241+ each (at a place close to me) - really good reviews

or do I go for the Continental DWS06 @ $318+ (also close to me and Top reviews so far - and is by far the most expensive... but the ride will be outstanding.....assuming I don't have another nail creep into my interior sidewall)

or - Gen G Max AS 03 @$288 each - and the reviews I read were not too great....

Any other suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks and happy rides to you!
David
Michelin pilot super sport summer tires. You will be happy with them

2011 IE #326/392 DWB
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
SXT12TO (03-22-2017)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Nitto's G-2's! Nuff said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Daddy's R/T For This Useful Post:
SXT12TO (03-22-2017)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your advice guys.

I looked up each and every one of the recommendations:

Bit a bit too much $$ for the Michelin pilot super sport here in Canada. Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec - cant find them here, and can't find the Atturo AZ850 in a 245/45/20 here either

The Nitto's G-2 look great .. Sold here as($225 each) called Nitto NT555 G2...? Same thing? Anyone know?
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R - cant find them in Canada either unless they have another name here starting at $995 each..pass

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival - $243+ ...k...

Leaving the Hankook Ventus R-S3 Version 2 (Z222) - can only find the VENTUS V12 evo2 K120 - good reviews too $218 each. But this is not the same tire in the article.

Now one tire keeps grabbing my attention Firestone FIREHAWK INDY 500. Great reviews and only $193 each..

Is anyone driving on these tires??

Thanks.

Last edited by SXT12TO; 03-22-2017 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM

I have Continental ExtremeContact DW on my car and they're nice and grippy, as well as quiet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:29 PM

If you're looking for summer performance tires you've probably found the best value for the money. About a month ago I bought a set of four Firestone Firehawk A/S tires, $722.00, mounted, balanced and road hazard warranty.

Not sure how they compare with the INDY 500 model but I'm quite happy with them.

If you decide on Firestones, check Facebook or other online sources as Firestone is running several promos (saved me a hundred bucks).

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saetta For This Useful Post:
SXT12TO (03-22-2017)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Yes on the Nitto's they are the NT555 G2. Some of the best tires I've ever had for the money.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 PM

Has anyone had the G2's and Indy 500's? Trying to make up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode