Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tread wear white letters?

39K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  headhunter123 
#1 ·
Has anyone done the Tread wear raised white letters on Michelin tires? Looking for pics to see how they look. I have the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and the Michelin letters are pretty small according to Tread Wear. They mentioned that some people have done bigger Michelin letters and glued them on but I worried that it won't look right if some of the black letters sticks out somewhere since the white won't match in size.

I was thinking of just going white in the size that are on the tires but wasn't sure if the letters would be too small and then look awkward. I don't want to spend that kind of money and not like the look. Any ideas or pics are appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Here you go

#3 ·
Well I went ahead and ordered the Treadwear raised white letter kit for the double Michelin. My order came this week so today, I got the white letters added to my Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I was worried at first, but the packing tape method worked great. It took quite awhile but I really like the way they turned out.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

#7 ·
#5 ·
Thanks

Liked them so much I put them on my new car too (that was my 12 SXT)

#9 ·
mine were 1 inch

Reactions: ajturbo
#14 · (Edited)
I personally think the 1" is too small. I want the letters to look really big, like the Toyo Proxes kits they have. I am also thinking of just putting on a single Goodyear on each tire, so it's off-balanced. When the car rolls are a moderate-to-slow speed, it'll really look cool, like a sweeping effect. I think that look pops way more, but the Tred Wear guys recommend 1" for my Goodyear Eagle F1.

Don't you guys think these guys are rolling with 1.5" or more? The Camaro's Goodyears may actually be a 1"... but I am not 100% sure. I am rolling on the Blacktop package 20" painted black wheels, btw.

Attachments

#15 ·
Guess it all depends upon what look you are going for... if it's a classic "retro" look, then the smaller letters would be the ones to get. If you are going for the tuner/moder/drifter look, than big, fat, letters would be your option. IMO those big letters can only be pulled off on a lowered car and one that has substantial exterior cosmetic changes... they just don't look right on stock cars to me.

#16 ·
I decided to go bigger (above) and was worried but now that they are on I love them, like I have a choice, right? . . . .seriously they give it a certain NASCAR look. IMHO I don't think it hurt my retro look at all

#22 · (Edited)
RWL's are a must have in my book. I had to buy 2 new tires recently, and was without them on one side for a week or so, and it just does not right without them once you've taken the plunge. Good work people, your cars rock with RWL's!

#26 ·
I used Acetone . . . . no better grease cutter than that. You'll need it to get that glue off your hands anyway.
the other thing I highly recommend is getting your hands on a dremel and sand the areas where your letters will be.

#27 ·
Out of curiousity, is there an advantage to doing it this way, rather than just using something like an oil-based white paint marker to touch up the letters?

#28 ·
Out of curiousity, is there an advantage to doing it this way, rather than just using something like an oil-based white paint marker to touch up the letters?

I have tried white letter paints on other vehicles and never had luck keeping it from flaking off or staying white. They eventually stayed a brown tint. Though the Treadware letters aren't cheap for me it was an advantage to get the look I was going for. They clean up just like real white letters since there are actually rubber as opposed to paint. They also look just like real RWL once they are in place. Probably one of my favorite things I've done to the car.

#29 ·
Anyone running the 20" blackout wheels (comes with Blacktop edition) with Goodyear Eagle F1s with TredWear? I am thinking of getting 1.75" lettering. It seems to be the biggest you can get without going over the "line" on the tire that starts getting into the tire tread area.

I am trying to get the largest letter size possible, without looking too dumb. The Toyo kits they have really spark my interest given their size/noticeability.

Anyone running this wheel setup with the larger sizes? The 1" is just too small.

#30 ·
yep . . . . . love em' get compliments on them all of the time. People think they are a special order tire . . . who am I to tell them different :grin2:

#32 ·
not from where I sit, pic is plain as day . . . ???

#35 ·
Thanks a lot, it may be "too busy" for some people, but I think it came out great.After all I didn't pick the Sublime color to blend in with all the other traffic. As far as making a poster, feel free. I really wish that I had a good camera, and a little expertise at staging, to take some really good pictures.

#42 ·
jamison 45 that looks perfect..not too big or small.if your gonna do it you wanna see from a distance.i have been thinking of a yellow wall .ive got jazz blue and thought that would be a nice touch (1"yellow letters)thanks for the pic

#44 ·
when i wash my car i will use tire white bleach.let dry and i use the stp tire foam.the stp brand is the best tire product ive found.it goes on wet,i rub it in with a rag and it dries to look like semi-gloss black but its not wet or greasy and doesnt attract the dust.if you can find it give it a try.the only place i can find it is at shoprite grocery store

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.