Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Who's Running 275/45-20's?

Tags
275-45-20
75K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  Jermetheus 
#1 ·
I know the 275/40 is popular, but who is running staggared 275/45's? I'm thinking of going with the stock size 245/45's in the front, and putting the 275/45-20's in the rear for that Old School staggered/raked look: the 275/45 is a little over an inch taller, and a little over an inch wider than the OEM 245/45.

If you have/had 275/45's on, please advise:

1. Is your Challenger lowered? If so, how much? Any problems with clearance?
2. Any issues with the ABS or TPMS, or anything due to the taller tires in the back?
3. What brand/model tire did you use, and the size of your front tires?
4. Please post PICS

Thank-you.

#5 ·
Thank-you, that was good information.

I wouldn't want an inch taller tire. And for sure not on a lowered car.
Taller tire changes gear ratio and messes up speedo. Personally I'd try to stay within a percent or so of the stock height. I run 275/40 Nitto Invos and really like em. And I am lowered 1".
If there is no major loss in performance, I'd like to put the 275/45 on the rear - I like the beefier look, slightly taller sidewall height, and the slight slant of the car. But if I can't do it, I'll probably go for 255/45's or 275/40's on all fours.

Though I don't like the idea of losing any power, I tend to think the 1" height will only result in a minimal loss. What affect, if any, do you think it would have on MPG?

#3 ·
Taller tire changes gear ratio and messes up speedo. Personally I'd try to stay within a percent or so of the stock height. I run 275/40 Nitto Invos and really like em. And I am lowered 1".

#13 ·
Tire size

Taller tire changes gear ratio and messes up speedo. Personally I'd try to stay within a percent or so of the stock height.
I agree. The 275/45/20 tire will throw your speedo off by almost 3 mph. When you are going 65 mph, it will read 67.41 mph. I would stick with the 275/40/20 tire. It will give you an accurate reading of 64.96 mph.

#6 ·
Looks good! Just to verify - other than the speedometer being a little off, the 275/45 caused no issues with braking, cruise control, ABS, TPMS, or anything else?

Also, could you please post a full profile shot, showing the "rake"?

I'm running the 275/45 Cooper RS3 on 20x9 viper repo's on the rear of my SRT and have lowered a estimated overall 1.9" . No rubbing, flush , great traction , beefy tire. The morons mounted 245/40's on the front and I hate them and will be switching them to 245/45 or maybe even 275/45 and upgrade rears to 295

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 · (Edited)
I made a typo mistake in telling you the tire sizes. I have 275/40 on rear and 245/45 on front. I have no problems with tpms,handling, fitment , or braking. My speedometer was confirmed and matched my phone speedo app,myGig nav., and my garmin unit . As I said before though the front 245/45 are not as wide as I wanted for the 9"wheels
And as you can tell they tend to roll from the tread section over to the bead instead of being flush or rolling inward towards the bead. Tire place wouldn't change em because The car left on them before noticing. Here's a couple more shots from the side

#49 ·
I made a typo mistake in telling you the tire sizes. I have 275/40 on rear and 245/45 on front. I have no problems with tpms,handling, fitment , or braking. My speedometer was confirmed and matched my phone speedo app,myGig nav., and my garmin unit . As I said before though the front 245/45 are not as wide as I wanted for the 9"wheels
And as you can tell they tend to roll from the tread section over to the bead instead of being flush or rolling inward towards the bead. Tire place wouldn't change em because The car left on them before noticing. Here's a couple more shots from the side

That, sir, is a FINE looking car!:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Firerescue, that set up looks great on your car.:thumbsup:

I'm thinking of going 255/45's all around on an R/T Classic with the SRT WP3 Alcoas..
something is different between the SRT and R/T so I'm not sure if the 255's will
work on the R/T, any idea what the difference is? (steering knuckle?)

Reactions: gfischer58
#17 ·
275/45/20 Pics

I was interested in the 275/45 mainly because it would show more sidewall and would raise the rear slightly. But I'll also be addng the Eibach lowering springs (about 1.5") at around the same time. I'm mostly concerned about losing power and/or MPG with that set-up; the speedometer innacuracy I can live with - it may help me not to speed. :wink2:

Of course there is the money issue: Comes July I'll be laying out a bit of green with new rims, new tires, and the springs. If I go staggered, I'll lose tire wear because I won't be able to rotate.

Haven't decided yet - and I have time still - but am also considering the safe bet of putting 275/40-20's on all fours.

In the meantime, let's hear more from the minority group out there that have the 275/45's - pics and suggestions/comments.

#18 ·
Another way to achieve the raked look is to go with adjustable coilovers. Spending a little more cash with coilovers gives you additional options on future tire sizes.

If I had to do it over again, coilovers would be what I'd go with...

#20 ·
I've got continental DWS 275/45/20 on the front and 295/45/20 on the back. It's a bit too much sidewall for me, so I'm going to same width, but 35 series sidewall. I also plan on getting KW V2's so I can go a bit lower, but I'm not sure if I will clear my current tires.

#34 ·
Looks great, I just may keep my CCs and do what you did!

#35 ·
You can run the 275's easy... you can also step up a little more.. with the correct backspacing and tires. Mine are stock 245/45 front, 295/40 rear. A little rub on big bumps, nothing a little fender rolling wont solve.
I was going for the old school, step rim look...Most everyone who sees it, says I nailed the retro look.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
I have a pair of 275's on order to be installed tomorrow evening, not sure if they are 45s or 40s, i'll find out when they install them. They are Nitto Motivos. The shop says they'll fit on the stock heritage rims, the nittos tend to look a little narrower. I put 245/45s on the front and they aren't wide enough for my tastes so I plan on trying a slightly wider tire for the rear. We'll have to see if it messes with the speedometer, if it does, i'll use the diablo tuner to compensate for it.

My motivos are 275 40 20s. They fit the heritage rims great, no bulging on the sides, and actually look like the rear tires have some width now.

Reactions: RockanRoll
#38 · (Edited)
#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.