Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Widening police steelies; 1320 Challenger...

20K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  CudaDude2 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm getting real close to doing this but I need some experience to make me feel like I'm pulling the trigger on a 'known' target...MT 305/45/18's; the gentleman who can do this is presenting this after I presented my math/measurements:
18x10 steel wheel w/ +25mm off set would have 6.5" backside spacing. 6.5" from backside of rim to the mounting surface and 4.5" from the face of the rotor to the outside of the rim.
So, will 6.5" backspacing be okay with an R/T? I have Hotchkis sways and BWoody end links, don't know if that matters but thought I'd add that...Please, help me here folks who are 'in the know'...cheers, P1.
SpeedysRT had the 295/35/20's on his ride with 1/4" left to the fender but I believe he used 20mm...so, argh! 25mm or 20mm offset? Thanks gang, cheers, P1.

#2 ·
Ok, I'm getting real close to doing this but I need some experience to make me feel like I'm pulling the trigger on a 'known' target...MT 305/45/18's; the gentleman who can do this is presenting this after I presented my math/measurements:
18x10 steel wheel w/ +25mm off set would have 6.5" backside spacing. 6.5" from backside of rim to the mounting surface and 4.5" from the face of the rotor to the outside of the rim.
So, will 6.5" backspacing be okay with an R/T? I have Hotchkis sways and BWoody end links, don't know if that matters but thought I'd add that...Please, help me here folks who are 'in the know'...cheers, P1.

SpeedysRT had the 295/35/20's on his ride with 1/4" left to the fender but I believe he used 20mm...so, argh! 25mm or 20mm offset? Thanks gang, cheers, P1.
That is going to be an awesome look especially on a black challenger... Ill be waiting for pics.. and if you can the weight.:smokin:

#3 ·
Actually it's the DWB...tried to upload pics but it's late and I've got to resize to get them to post up...

#4 ·
I've been thinking about this, as I can get the 18" steelies for $80/set of 4. Are you going to send them to Stockton wheel to get widened?

I've been meaning to get one of those Percy "Wheel Right" tools to use on my muscle cars...they will figure your backspace and offsets. Good investment since the equipment on your car may vary from others. They're like $70 @ Summit.

#5 ·
Yup...

Yes, Stockton is going to widen them...I'm looking up the tool now so I can get it and verify my 25mm offset math...

#6 ·
I called Stockton, last year and they said no can do, so I guess somebody has taken their rim in and had it done! Great!!! I would do this on the cop rims, are you using cop rims or stock Charger type steelies with the holes around them?

#8 ·
I called Stockton, last year and they said no can do, so I guess somebody has taken their rim in and had it done! Great!!! I would do this on the cop rims, are you using cop rims or stock Charger type steelies with the holes around them?

SE & R/T, yes
SRT, no

#10 ·
Police steelies...

Are these the wheels you guys are talking about? Hopefully next year I'll get a coilover kit and get the steelies widened.

Stan.
Yup, that's them, I have the lug-nut caps as well but that looks like the exact wheel I'm using (7.5 x 18).

#9 ·
I have the factory reproductions 20x10 295/35/20 on the rear of my chally now. I also used Eibach 1.7 drop. the offset is 18mm and there is probably 1/4 and inch between the top of the tire and wheelwell (hight wise) and less than that of sidewall clearance (laterally). I like the look of it and was thinking of using this set up for my rear po-po wheels. I think you should use the 20mm offset over the 25mm.:pimp:

#12 ·
Done...

It is finally done! I'm now running widened police steelies in the back supporting 305/45/18 Mickey Thompson ET Street radial II's...whoa! Loving it, I have about a 3/8" clearance to closest component in the wheel well and they stick out just a wee bit; looks just right! 6.5" backspacing, 25mm offset from the 2009 SEMA 1320 measurements and checking and double checking! Man, it was a nerve wracking event but now that they're on? I can't hardly believe it...sticky, sticky, sticky! MANY thanks to Mickey Thompson's Willy W. and Stockton Wheels Frank and DCHTemecula Dodge Jack S. for all of their help in getting this finally done...I love it.

Attachments

Reactions: CudaDude2
#13 ·
Oh, my word. That...is...killer. PM me what you paid to have that done, if you would. That is just RECORD sick there, my friend!

#19 ·
How much do they weigh? Looks really good.
Me likey a lot. :browsmiley:
Dude, looks awesome. Did you inquire about the fronts? Any room up there for widening the front just a bit?
Thanks everyone...this was a HUGE project for me...trying to dig into the specs from the 2008 SEMA 1320's rear wheel setup and make it work. I still have my front 'winter performance' tires on and looking for summer fronts soon (yes, I may widen them a bit - tire only -) ; cost prohibitive at this point but I'll actually need a set of 4 to do basic running around with the original rims...I'll probably just keep the slicks aside for shows and if I ever go to the track. Damn, do they ever hook up! Not sure of the weight but let's say I'm not wheel hopping any...!

#23 ·
G5 spoiler...

That is BA!! Love it!!!

Is that a Petty Wing on the back?
Chris at Group5 hooked me up with the rear wing; then I reworked the trunk lid so I could mount all five bolts straight on and had the local body shop paint it flat black for me (the wing/spoiler that is)...no metal to metal contact either, all surfaces have rubber washers and I'm using nylock nuts to keep her tight.

#24 ·
Looks really wicked.

What do the wheels weigh now?

#25 ·
Hey 09Plym!

Looks really wicked.

What do the wheels weigh now?
Thanks...not sure on the weight...but since they're steel I'm sure they aren't even close to what the aluminum types are in that catagory!

#26 ·
Are you ready to bring it out for one of the SCCA road course events at Gateway? The season opener is Thursday, April 15th at 4 PM. It would be great to have more LX's on the track intimidating the BMW's,and Honda's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.