Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Widest Tire/Rim?

31K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  corybeaird 
#1 ·
What is the widest tire that will fit under a 09 srt 8 with nothing hanging out?

#2 ·
I have got 20 X 11 with NITTO Invo 295/35ZR-20.. there is about 1/4" from the tire to the inner well and it will barely clear on the outside. Its close!

#3 ·
Cool thanks. So a 10.5 will fit for sure.

#5 ·
The offset of the rim will affect how much it sticks out, correct?

#10 ·
So which tire are you guys using up front? I'm going to be getting a set of 9" wide fronts and 10" wide rears in about a month and am trying to find matching tires. Can't seem to find a matching front for a 295/40R20. I was considering a 255/45/20 due to diameter, but am having a hard time finding a brand that does both.

#11 ·
So which tire are you guys using up front? I'm going to be getting a set of 9" wide fronts and 10" wide rears in about a month and am trying to find matching tires. Can't seem to find a matching front for a 295/40R20. I was considering a 255/45/20 due to diameter, but am having a hard time finding a brand that does both.
I used the stock RSA 245 on the front with 295 RSA'S GoodYears on the rear.

#14 ·
I want to get a stock SRT8 rear rim wider what is the widest I can get?? What size tire will work without any issues?

Buckwheat

#25 ·
Wide Rims and Tires

I have a 09 SRT and this last week end I put my tires and wheels on, EHAT i ended up with are 10 inch rims and 295/40/20 Continetials and 9 " rims onthe front with Continetials 255/45/20s I like Deuces SRT, do not have tires sticking out of the wheel wells. I hope this answers your question. However I really think that 305s just may fit in the rear..

#26 ·
I also appreciate the info here too. I desperately need wider, stickier tires on my R/T. I tried doing a hard launch this evening and the car sat almost in the same spot while I shifted through 1, 2 and 3 and still only moved a few feet, without the brake on... it's embarrassing to say the least when the car just sits there. I've never owned a car that did that.

#28 ·
The only way to get wider tires is to get custom made rear wheels. I have beat my self up trying to find a solution but. :deadhorse: I ordered a set of US Wheels and these guys know their stuff about Challengers!! If you want the wide fat tires in the rear with the correct offset to fit like it belongs give these guys a call! One call does it all!

Buckwheat

#29 · (Edited)
The widest in front with no issues at all extremes is 9" the widest in back is 10"... If you go 10.5 or 11 you will rub when driving hard, I track a bit so that will not work for me, also the bigest tires that will fit with no rubbing is 245 up front and 275 out back...

The 245 and 275 have the same dia, the 255 are a little bit larger, (in the rear that is ok); if you put 255 in front and 275/285/295 in the rear you will be running a taller tre up front...

The rear suspension subframe on the LX cars moves up to 1/2" in extreme cornering left/right, if you change all your bushings to poly that can be reduced to about 1/4", keep this in mind...

If you are going for performance and want to keep the car handling neutral than 245/275 is the best setup... (This is important to me)

If all you car about is looks than go for broke...

#30 ·
There are plenty of tuners that are putting 11" wide wheels on the rear with no issues. Hennessy for one, but there are several others. The widest tire with no issues seems to be the 295 fitment in the rear. Some of the tuner cars are running a 305, but they are using a shorter sidewall also.

On the front the 255/45/20 works fine. The matching rear is a 285/40 (diameter). The difference in diameter between the 245/45 and the 255/45 is 3 tenths of an inch, so only .15 radius. The Charger guys have been running them for years with no issues. There are people running 275/40's on the front on 9-9.5" rims also. They are the same diameter as the stock 245/45's, it's just a width thing.

I've seen several people go a bit shorter to the stock 18" wheel/tire diameter of 28 inches. There's a local club member here that is running 295/35/20's on 11" CCW SP550's and a 275/35/20 on a 9.5 front. He's running about 2" lower than stock R/T ride height and hasn't had any rubbing issues so far. There are forum members here running the 295/35 on the rear and a narrower tire like a 255/40 or 245/40 on the front to come close to the matching height. That's probably a better fitment for the 3.73 geared cars.

Hurst is putting a 295/40/20 on the rear and 245/40 on the front of their cars. That's a bit of a difference diameter wise and they aren't having any issues with the ABS so far. We have a couple local club members running this setup with no issues.

My wheels on the way are 10" wide rear and 9" front. I'll be going with a 295/40/20 and a 255/45/20 like many others have done. I'll lose about .08 effective gear ratio due to the slight diameter increase, but I'm sure it will hook enough better to make up for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.