Any Geeks in here? Computer upgrade? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Any Geeks in here? Computer upgrade?

I think the motherboard died in my desktop, it's a 5 year old Velocity Micro E2020 desktop and came with a nvidia nforce 570 sli MB and Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 chip, it won't boot at all, and won't put any power to the usb hubs to work the light on my mouse, before it died it was also shutting down while idle and then it comes back on right where it left off, I replaced the power supply and that did not help so I was thinking I might try doing a upgrade,can I get a MB to upgraded this to a modern i7 chip? I was looking at some online and the rear hookups are quite a bit different than my ATX case. Is there a modern replacement for my MB?

2012 R/T Classic Redline 3-coat pearl
Automatic, Super Track Pak, Getrag Anti-spin, Moonroof, Sound group II
DiabloSport Trinity
Resonator delete
255/45/20 Nitto Motivo's "MADE IN USA"

Last edited by Cuda; 12-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Thanked 1,108 Times in 663 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ATX is still the standard and you can install anything up to ATX and in some cases even the expanded ATX (Consumer/Server) type Motherboards into an ATX assuming it has enough room.

Stick with ATX form factor Motherboards and you will be fine. It's as simple as changing out the rear IO Port (which comes with the new MoBo) and installing the new Mobo.

I highly recommend Asus, EVGA and Gigabyte MoBo's. I just got done doing a real nice Core i5 based on the new Asus Z series Mobo for one of my co-workers, it's a beast with 8 gig of OCZ Sniper Ram and a 160 Gig SSD. For his needs it's way fast.

An i7 with lots of ram an an SSD for the OS drive will last you years. I'm running an i7 laptop with 16 gig of system ram, 3 gig of video ram and a 128GB SSD (750Gig Data drive) and it boots in 10 seconds.

Brett DiMichele

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
#3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM

I also agree with the Gigabyte MoBo. They have a new... In touch Bios.... I believe that's what it's called but it's actually a bios you can use your mouse in and it actually has easy over clock settings. My I7 Gen II 2.8 is comfortably over clocked to 4.2 :-)

Also if your looking into new I7s I know mine has the "K" identifier after the number which means 1. It's allowed to be over locked without messing with the bios and 2. It came with a warranty from Microsoft encouraging you to over clock and if it fried anything they will replace it.

BTW you can pick up another 570 first cheap and SLi just make sure to have good airflow. Goodluck.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with the AutoGuide App.

Military Police - 2007-2012, Never Forget the Fallen
MODS: Roto Fab True CAI, Reso Delete w/ SRT Bottle Mids, Skip Shift Delete, Lock pick w/ Back up Cam, 392 Engine Covers Rebadged 345.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 PM

The Asus boards allow Bios Flashes right from the OS and the GUI in the BIOS is excellent. The board in particular I just used was the P8 Z77 VLE which supports
full overclocking in the Bios and in the OS, it can "auto" overclock (safely) or do extreme over clocking if you run Liquid Cooling. It also handles 6GB/S Sata, USB 3.0 and has Intelligent Pulse Width Modulation for supplying voltage.

I haven't dealt with Gigabyte Mobos in a few years but I know they are also a SOLID company. If I was building my own Gaming rig though, I'd go EVGA.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input, I was looking over the choices over on newegg.com and I'm not sure what to get, i7's with 22nm vs. 32nm Sandy bridge/Ivy bridge, I don't game but do run some rather intensive picture processing programs that need a lot of speed and ram. I want something simple to set up and air cool, any suggestions?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I always go Asus or MSI boards.
Newegg.com - MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K - Sandy
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770S - Ivy

I don't use Intel because I'm cheap but ive heard the new Ivy bridge is about 5% faster at the same clock speed.

If you were going for gaming I would say i5 would be better.

2009 Stone White R/T
JLT Cold Air Intake | 180 T-Stat |SRT Hood Scoops | 85mm Ported Throttle Body
SRT Headers | Magnaflow mids | Corsa Exhaust | Custom tune | Petty strut brace
#7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Asus For The Win!!!!

Arrington Performance Aluminum 449 C.I. Hemi Whipple 4.0 Litre Supercharger DSS Ford 9" Strange 392 Pro Nod Tuned by A.J. "Hemituner"
#8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
I think the motherboard died in my desktop, it's a 5 year old Velocity Micro E2020 desktop and came with a nvidia nforce 570 sli MB and Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 chip, it won't boot at all, and won't put any power to the usb hubs to work the light on my mouse, before it died it was also shutting down while idle and then it comes back on right where it left off, I replaced the power supply and that did not help so I was thinking I might try doing a upgrade,can I get a MB to upgraded this to a modern i7 chip? I was looking at some online and the rear hookups are quite a bit different than my ATX case. Is there a modern replacement for my MB?
When you boot up your computer does the power supply fan spin?

As long as the MB supports the CPU you're running then the ports in the back won't matter.
Newer MB's don't have PS2, printer or serial ports normally but most likely you don't have any devices that use them anyway

Depending on the software that you use to render/process images it may utilize the CPU or the GPU so find out before you dump too much money into a video card that doesn't get used.

Gigabyte is who I've used for years now. Good products, so-so support.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
Thanks for the input, I was looking over the choices over on newegg.com and I'm not sure what to get, i7's with 22nm vs. 32nm Sandy bridge/Ivy bridge, I don't game but do run some rather intensive picture processing programs that need a lot of speed and ram. I want something simple to set up and air cool, any suggestions?
Normally the difference between MB's that can handle the same CPU have different types of technologies they can handle.

I.e. The new Ivy bridge supports PCIe 3.0 and DDR3L

Either way you're not going to notice a difference in your daily use between the two.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Roomraider,

I don't think you have enough hoses inside that case.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxic11 For This Useful Post:
Roomraider (12-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode