Any Geeks in here? Computer upgrade? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I won't touch ASUS with a ten foot pole, I've had too many fail on me, usually within a year of purchase. I've had very good success with MSI though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lol!!! Dual loop, 1 dedicated for vid cards & 1 for Cpu, mem, northbridge & pwr supply
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanked 1,038 Times in 620 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Toxic11 Send a message via AIM to Toxic11
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
I won't touch ASUS with a ten foot pole, I've had too many fail on me, usually within a year of purchase. I've had very good success with MSI though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
And they were replaced under warranty? The one I just built for a customer came with a 3 year standard parts warranty.

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM

Well I ordered some parts last night, I hope they all play nicely together....

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4/3.8 Ghz Quad Core CPU @ $219.00: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H with USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s @ $109.99: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM @ $41.99: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB X 2 for 16GB

Corsair TX650 V2 PSU @ $89.99: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Resonator delete
255/45/20 Nitto Motivo's "MADE IN USA"
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talking In My Opinion Only

Over the past 20 years building custom PC's & Macs, the following are the only boards I would use & in this order of quality, stability, features, warranty & customer service.

Asus: Best overall
EVGA
Msi
Intel
ASRock
ECS (EliteGroup)
Biostar
Foxconn
Gigabyte: Worst overall due to "Worst customer service in the biz"

Last edited by Roomraider; 12-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roomraider View Post
Over the past 20 years building custom PC's & Macs, the following are the only boards I would use & in this order of quality, stability, features, warranty & customer service.

Asus: Best overall
EVGA
Msi
Intel
ASRock
ECS (EliteGroup)
Biostar
Foxconn
Gigabyte: Worst overall due to "Worst customer service in the biz"
Oh well, I bought a Gigabyte due to another builder guy I was chatting with loving them, I guess it's like cars, I drive a Dodge, I like the underdogs!!!

Last edited by Cuda; 12-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
Oh well, I bought a Gigabyte due to another builder guy I was chatting with loving them, I guess it's like cars, I drive a Dodge, I like the underdogs!!!
I love my Gigabyte MoBo and have never had a reason to contact customer support :-P

Sent from my HTC Rezound with the AutoGuide App.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brent60 View Post
I love my Gigabyte MoBo and have never had a reason to contact customer support :-P

Sent from my HTC Rezound with the AutoGuide App.
My last 3 or 4 have been gigabyte, no problems, I don't even update the bios on them.
As long as your using a good chipset like Intel, you should be fine.

Gigabyte's main support website, where you can download your drivers, is in Taiwanese which sucks and I have no idea how their phone support is but I wouldn't even try it.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to SuBXeRo
Mmmmmm, fresh build. I have done a few builds over the past 10 years or so, i will say, i prefer asus mobos. I used an intel for one build and it worked no problem but it is more selective of the hardware connected to it whereas the asus seems to pair well with a majority of components not to mention a lot more options for customizing.

Ivy Bridge is better than Sandy as its the newest release and utilizies the new on chip graphics especially in the I7's but I5's too. You usually want the smallest architecture 22nm is better than 32nm, usually it means the chip is faster. The shorter the distance is between points within a chip, the faster information is processed...usually.

The corsair power supplies are good! The use a single 12v rail which is a good option because that means if you have a component with large power requirements, the 1 rail will have the power. Antec used to do multiple 12v rails which would limit you sometimes. The trade off between the 2 at the time was power quality and regulation but it seems that most are doing single rail now. I have use the g series for gaming and liked it and then the tx series which was good but i like the HX series because you can disconnect wires you dont need from the PSU which helps with cable management but that stuff can start to crank up the price.

did ya get an op system?

"The Black Beauty"
2012 Challenger R/T Black with Super Trak Pak with 5-Speed
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Deck (running 3-way network mode)
-Arc Audio KS 300.4 - 90 watts X 4 channels @ 4 ohms for front stage
-Arc Audio KS 300.2 - 700 watts X 1 channel bridged @ 4 ohms for subwoofer
-Hybrid Audio Imagine I69-2 Woofers and Sundown Tweets
-Dayton Audio 8" rear deck IB subwoofer
Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 AM

I like ASUS mb's, i've built several that worked great and only once had a mb fail on me before it was outdated, and that one looked hokey before i put it together, got it at a computer trade show and it had a wire on the bottom where it looked like it was rigged to get it to pass muster, i took it apart and sent it back within a day after i built it.
My last build is using an MSI board Z68A-GD55 (B3), using a home theater case that looks more like a stereo component than a computer, it sits in the living room and is working fantastic a year later. I used a i5 chip instead of the i7, and have 16 gigs of ram, and two pci exp 5770 cards running in crossfire mode, which still works better than the built in video chipset that is available should i want to utilize it. I've built every computer that i've used since 1994, and this one is by far the most powerful and user friendly, and i have the option to upgrade the cpu to an i7 if i choose to, but so far haven't seen the need. It plays any game with ease, and works well with the dual monitor setup i'm using next to the lazy boy recliner in the family room where i can watch tv on the plasma, while playing games on the pc on one 23 inch monitor, and surfing the web on the 2nd screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.