Any seasoned old jocks finding it hard to keep training? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Any seasoned old jocks finding it hard to keep training?

The workouts still feel great but the motivation to maintain consistency becomes harder to achieve every year. The first time I was introduced to "getting in shape" was freshman football - high school 1966. Barf, gag, gasp, stagger... yes coach! I have been a true believer ever since. But I have noticed, beginning about three years ago, that each time I lapse, the lapse lasts a little longer than the last. And, the drive to get back after it becomes more elusive than the time before. I have identified a disturbing trend. In all seriousness, senior citizens (in my community that means anyone over 40 years old), are vulnerable to harassment and physical assault if they are perceived as weak and unable to defend themselves. Personally, my size remains a deterrent but if you are big and out of shape, it's the out of shape that will get you hurt or worse.

drl's
MOPAR Wheel Locks, 20" Chrome Clads, Nitrogen Filled, "W" Speed Rated, FIRESTONE Indy 500 Wide Ovals
Functional Hood Scoops
MAXI-VIEW Blind Spot Mirrors
Synthetic 5W-20 PENNZOIL
MGP Header Orange, Silver Inlaid "Challenger" Scripted Caliper Covers
MOPAR CAI
BORLA Catback Stingers
MOPAR front strut tower brace
DS Trinity T1000 @ 91 tune
NEXT UP in '15 - CARB legal ceramic coated shorties...Baby be singin'

Last edited by WYFSKAAR; 12-18-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I hear what you're saying and I too have found I'm falling more and more behind each time I say I'm "taking a break".

What I've found as my trend is I still try to eat and workout the same way I did 25 years ago. I simply can't eat that much food and workout that hard any longer so I've went to the "old guy" workout for now and it seems to be working.

I cut my intake (protein) and don't lift near as heavy. I'll not be in competition shape (body building) doing this but I'll be healthy and maintain my weight...plus still feel good about me.

Now I'm not an old guy but coming up on 50...I had to adjust as I just don't want to dedicate the time and effort any more but I still want to workout and eat healthy. This has worked for me and from time to time I go on a kick and eat lots, sometimes I workout hard like I use to but overall...adjusted to fit my life style and I'm still enjoying it.

Might look at what you are doing based your life style and see if there is room for a change...

2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 PCP M6

Last edited by SSABAD; 12-18-2012 at 06:38 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSABAD View Post
I hear what you're saying and I too have found I'm falling more and more behind each time I say I'm "taking a break".

What I've found as my trend is I still try to eat and workout the same way I did 25 years ago. I simply can't eat that much food and workout that hard any longer so I've went to the "old guy" workout for now and it seems to be working.

I cut my intake (protein) and don't lift near as heavy. I'll not be in competition shape (body building) doing this but I'll be healthy and maintain my weight...plus still feel good about me.

Now I'm not an old guy but coming up on 50...I had to adjust as I just don't want to dedicate the time and effort any more but I still want to workout and eat healthy. This has worked for me and from time to time I go on a kick and eat lots, sometimes I workout hard like I use to but overall...adjusted to fit my life style and I'm still enjoying it.

Might look at what you are doing based your life style and see if there is room for a change...
I relate to what you're saying. I hear 'ya. Damn, at 50 I was still chugging along, still doing the heavy stuff...and then came "the wall."
I get a lot of good info via davedraper.com. His site, and the personal emails I have received from him, have been very helpful. I last corresponded with Dave about three years ago and it was then that he made mention of Father Time and the adjustments (gulp) we must make while not letting go of the iron.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Two of the greatest:

At first I couldn't figure out how the bar is so bent with 405lbs, but then I realized Dave is pulled on the bar with his arms. This pic makes me want to do ass to the floor squats with a heavy weight.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic STP, sunroof, tint, 430 rbz, 3.92 gears, 6 speed.
MODS:
Zoomers catback exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Barton short throw shifter
Fastman ported throttle body
Diablo CMR tune by Johan
Mopar hood struts
Mopar strut tower brace
Spohn sway bar end links
Speedlogix rear adjustable control arms
Speedlogix tension bars
Jet 180* t-stat
SRT8 6.1 chin spoiler
Billet Technology catch can
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRumble View Post
Two of the greatest:

At first I couldn't figure out how the bar is so bent with 405lbs, but then I realized Dave is pulled on the bar with his arms. This pic makes me want to do ass to the floor squats with a heavy weight.
I just could not believe the picture when I saw your post! One of my favorites! You know Omaha, Dave picked Arnold up at the airport when he first landed in California in, I think, '65. He even helped Arnold buy his first car. Wifey has that picture on her Facebook with Arnold cut out (she can't stand him!). GREAT!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM

TRT (prescription testosterone). It helps with motivation.

MY OTHER RIDE IS A CHALLENGER
2010 R/T Classic
Semper Fi
"03"
#7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Great pic!

I know I could still be going heavy and working hard but based on my life right now and the last few years, I'm doing what makes me happy, what I fit in my life without missing the important things...important to me...and still get a great feeling of accomplishment.

Adjustments come for two reasons...physical or mental...physically I can still do it, but mentally I made the adjustments. Different reasons and everyone will be different and only you know why...hard to explain but I'm sure you understand.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
TRT (prescription testosterone). It helps with motivation.
Oh I know. I can only wish that it was THE true elixir without the dark side. Have had the best squeeze for the natural "T" doing legs and back, eating my cabbage and sprouts and supplementing with a quality tribulus product three times a year.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM

It's called crossfit and eating overall healthier. If you do the same thing for 25 yrs you get the same results.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racindemon View Post
It's called crossfit and eating overall healthier. If you do the same thing for 25 yrs you get the same results.
A good, tough program for certain. I have the T-shirt but have never experienced the system. An excellent changeup program from everyday bells and bars.

Last edited by WYFSKAAR; 12-18-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode