Any seasoned old jocks finding it hard to keep training? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by SSABAD View Post
Great pic!

I know I could still be going heavy and working hard but based on my life right now and the last few years, I'm doing what makes me happy, what I fit in my life without missing the important things...important to me...and still get a great feeling of accomplishment.

Adjustments come for two reasons...physical or mental...physically I can still do it, but mentally I made the adjustments. Different reasons and everyone will be different and only you know why...hard to explain but I'm sure you understand.
So well I understand. The old addage "moderation in everything" may be corny but yet it makes sense. As for my little workout dilemma, the alert tone has been sounding and I pretty much know why. Exercise has largely defined who I am for over four decades. Whenever I fall away from it, I feel terrible - mentally and physically. It's an identity thing. I'm certain you can relate. I'm sixty now and the wolf is at the door. Fellas I played ball with decades ago have already fallen prey to this advancing enemy. They no longer fight back from it and they have become soft, badly out of condition, old guys that do not do much of anything involving genuine physical exertion. I won't let this happen to me. Well, maybe the "old" part but not the other.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

drl's: active
MOPAR Wheel Locks, 20" Chrome Clads, 245/45R20 Nitrogen Filled Wide Oval FIRESTONE Tires
Functional Hood Scoops
MAXI-VIEW Blind Spot Mirrors
Synthetic 5W-20 PENNZOIL
MGP Header Orange, Silver Inlaid "Challenger" Scripted Caliper Covers
MOPAR CAI
BORLA Catback "Stingers"
MOPAR front strut tower brace
DIABLOSPORT Trinity T1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
Don't give up the fight because it's getting tougher, man; you knew it would. And you see the alternative in your contemporaries: not pretty.

I hesitated to respond because although fit, "seasoned jock" doesn't exactly describe me (), but yeah, at 48 I may be trailing some of you guys but I do know what you're talking about. 15 years ago I worked with a 50+ retired cop and bodybuilder. The dude was huge and I clearly remember him saying stuff like "I now have to work out twice as hard to get half the results" or "I'd eat a turd to be 35 again". I was in a kick-ass shape without trying and didn't quite get it back then, but his words have come back to me a few times in the past few years...

While until 40 I felt like time had no traction on me (people often thought I was 10-15 years younger), after that it's definitely gone downhill. Talking workouts specifically, I have a harder time getting motivated and I started getting joint and muscle pain recently, which never happened before. You don't have to go down without a fight, but you definitely have to warm up and pace yourself more. I haven't looked into testosterone, but all the serious guys do it and there's probably a reason. You do get softer with age.

Another often forgotten reason why staying in top shape gets harder is that many men our age have had, or are having, health problems. Most guys I know (myself included) are on some sort of medication, and drugs often have nasty side-effects. Plus, as the end becomes visible on the horizon it gets more difficult mentally to keep being so hard on oneself.
I'm starting to consider changing jobs because of my diminished physical capabilities, but truth be told, most guys even younger are woefully out of shape and worse off, so this reassures me some. I see 25 year-old kids with a good size gut who think they're in shape while I still have a flat stomach so it's not that bad if you watch yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Any seasoned old jocks finding it hard to keep training?-never-ever-give-up.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
Don't give up the fight because it's getting tougher, man; you knew it would. And you see the alternative in your contemporaries: not pretty.

I hesitated to respond because although fit, "seasoned jock" doesn't exactly describe me (), but yeah, at 48 I may be trailing some of you guys but I do know what you're talking about. 15 years ago I worked with a 50+ retired cop and bodybuilder. The dude was huge and I clearly remember him saying stuff like "I now have to work out twice as hard to get half the results" or "I'd eat a turd to be 35 again". I was in a kick-ass shape without trying and didn't quite get it back then, but his words have come back to me a few times in the past few years...

While until 40 I felt like time had no traction on me (people often thought I was 10-15 years younger), after that it's definitely gone downhill. Talking workouts specifically, I have a harder time getting motivated and I started getting joint and muscle pain recently, which never happened before. You don't have to go down without a fight, but you definitely have to warm up and pace yourself more. I haven't looked into testosterone, but all the serious guys do it and there's probably a reason. You do get softer with age.

Another often forgotten reason why staying in top shape gets harder is that many men our age have had, or are having, health problems. Most guys I know (myself included) are on some sort of medication, and drugs often have nasty side-effects. Plus, as the end becomes visible on the horizon it gets more difficult mentally to keep being so hard on oneself.
I'm starting to consider changing jobs because of my diminished physical capabilities, but truth be told, most guys even younger are woefully out of shape and worse off, so this reassures me some. I see 25 year-old kids with a good size gut who think they're in shape while I still have a flat stomach so it's not that bad if you watch yourself.
Ya' know, that's what I need. Kicks in the ass. Mental pictures of the alternative, etc. You prompt my pea brain to harken back 39 years...Abnormal Psychology class. The professor explained how the popular phrase "misery loves company" is not accurate. Rather, miserable people love miserable company. LOL I appreciate hearing of my challenge from your perspective.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
I'm sure you've heard it before, but "beware of an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you". What we lose in edge, we make up for it in wisdom and meanness... Also a reassuring thought to me that I found to be true. And I'm lazy enough today already that I hope I'll have the juice to work out when I'm 60!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.