You won't believe what this idiot car salesman told me today... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
You won't believe what this idiot car salesman told me today...

I went by a local Dodge dealer today to see the 7 inch LCD instrument panel display in the new Darts, just out of curiosity. I was sent to some noob car salesman, he had to be in the 20-25 year age range.

As I was looking under the hood of a 1.4 Turbo Dart, he showed me the under-hood insulation pad, and pointed out the plastic round fasteners used to hold the pad to the hood. The same kind of plastic fasteners I've seen on Mopars for many years.

So this genius tells me those plastic fasteners are designed to melt in case of an engine fire, and the insulation pad falls on the engine and smothers the fire! Yes, he really said this! I about told him he was a frickin' idiot to his face, it was so ridiculous! I came right out and told him that comment was going online! And here it is.

Then he starts about "Look how light the hood is", like that's a selling point, and "Look at all that trunk space". I pretty much ignored him after that hood pad comment.

The 7 inch display was lame too, It seems you can only move around the speedometer, compass, and shift indicator. The Tach and Fuel gauges aren't in the LCD and stay on the sides.

Last edited by Tim_K; 12-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim_K For This Useful Post:
R/TCLASSIC (12-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 AM

I'd believe it

Before I even read it, I was thinking to myself, there is nothing I wouldn't believe a car salesman is capable of saying.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 AM

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MellowYellow For This Useful Post:
#32 of 1100 (12-17-2012), Bonic4 (12-16-2012), ran (12-18-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
Oh SNAP! You brought the facts, hahaha! I guess it just goes to show that we never know as much as we think we do. Imagine, this bloke almost called the salesman an idiot! ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
#5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rmfootball69
Yep, those ARE meant to melt in case of a fire. You shouldn't be so quick to jump down a kids throat when he knows what hes talking about. That kid probably puts a good amount of work into his job and did a better job by showing you the car and its features than sitting on his ass at his desk.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
did someone stick his entire foot in his mouth... poor guy he was so excited to share his fresh learning with a prospective client... that's gotta hurt

Billet 2013 Challenger SRT8, 6sp
The Following User Says Thank You to O_Racing For This Useful Post:
#32 of 1100 (12-17-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 AM

Someone deserves an apology.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Interesting article, the salesman should have couched his statement with more information such as "while engine fires are very rare, if it happens to you, this feature can buy you extra time to get out in that "rare" situation" might have made it more believable than just throwing it out with a list of other options.

But, I don't agree that having a "light" metal for the hood is good at all because of what we're finding out with our Challengers and the metal warping and buckling from everyday usage. You just know what the car is going to look like in about two years with the outer panels all dented and warped.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
Before I even read it, I was thinking to myself, there is nothing I wouldn't believe a car salesman is capable of saying.
Plus one to that.

Is engine fire likely? Hell of a sales pitch!
#10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_K View Post

As I was looking under the hood of a 1.4 Turbo Dart, he showed me the under-hood insulation pad, and pointed out the plastic round fasteners used to hold the pad to the hood. The same kind of plastic fasteners I've seen on Mopars for many years.

So this genius tells me those plastic fasteners are designed to melt in case of an engine fire, and the insulation pad falls on the engine and smothers the fire! Yes, he really said this! I about told him he was a frickin' idiot to his face, it was so ridiculous! I came right out and told him that comment was going online! And here it is.
That must be in the salesman training manual as my salesman said the same thing about the fasteners on my Challenger as he was showing it and going over the features, but it made sense to me, then the idiot proceeds to slam the hood shut from 3 feet up with an earth shattering boom, I about lost it on him then and after my scolding session was over I made him raise it back up so I could look for damage, then I showed him it can be shut with a gentle push.

2012 R/T Classic Redline 3-coat pearl
Automatic, Super Track Pak, Getrag Anti-spin, Moonroof, Sound group II
DiabloSport Trinity
Resonator delete
255/45/20 Nitto Motivo's "MADE IN USA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode