Dodge Challenger Forum banner

FCA recalls 88k Challengers for airbags

20K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  Mopar Frank 
#1 ·
#2 ·
88K is not too bad. Still gonna jam up the service centers for the next few months.

Imagine what Honda and Toyota will need to recall since they sold a ton more cars with the same claymore airbags.

#3 ·
The 88,346 number seems way off. There were only 41,422 Challengers built (7,262 in 2008 and 34,160 in 2009).

I hate to take my car to the dealer. Guess I will have to, now. While there, I think that I will get my cooling system flushed since my Challenger is now 6 years old.

#7 · (Edited)
Production Dates: SEP 19, 2007 - OCT 29, 2010

The 88, 346 number seems way off. There were only 41,422 Challengers built (7,262 in 2008 and 34,160 in 2009).

I hate to take my car to the dealer. Guess I will have to, now. While there, I think that I will get my cooling system flushed since my Challenger is now 6 years old.
It seems 2010s are affected too. Hopefully, it won't expand further. :indifferent:

NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls

Attachments

#4 ·
Does anyone know if the "inflator" is physically inside the bag that is inside the steering wheel cover? I suspect it must be. I wonder for us who removed the ram head from the steering wheel cover and replaced it with one of the buttons from Nexus Studios will get grief when we take our cars in.

#5 ·
I have a 2010 and I registered the (used) car with Chrysler when I bought it last year. Have to go look on the door for the build date now and wait for a letter maybe.

Thank you very much for posting this.

#10 ·
it could be a long wait till dealer has the parts isn't takata still fighting all the cars included in the recall. i know my wifes '13 escape was recalled months ago & nothing to dealers yet all & she called & dealer said they have no idea.. but would be a good chance as much as don't like dealer pricing to have the plugs done as approaching 30k miles on my '09. but still wonder if this big of recall puts takata into bankruptcy what would happen.

#11 ·
September 2007 through October 2010 build dates. Unfortunately I have a build date of March 2010. Mine has been to the dealer a grand total of once so I could use their lift for sway bar installation. Now they are going to take my column apart for a recall........not happy about this. I do have trust in the Dodge technician there though.

#13 ·
the steering wheel airbag is easy to change out - two nuts removed from backside of spokes, disconnect the two airbag wires and the horn wire and remove the unit.
(for those that have customized wheel badges - the vinyl cover is clipped over the actual airbag, so the cover (if needed) can be swapped over to the replacement unit)

#12 ·
This is the infamous Takata airbag recall, which has affected almost every auto manufacturer and is now by far the largest single-cause vehicle recall in history. My Challenger isn't affected, but my 2008 Ram 1500 got swept up in it. I'm on the waiting list at my dealer- according to the representative I talked to at the dealer there are hundreds of cars and trucks that just this one dealer has to do.

No fun. And it shows how vulnerable the industry is to a single supplier screwing up a design.

#16 ·
Finally got in touch with the service department at my dealer and they told me I can't schedule an appointment until I get an official notice from Chrysler... Not sure if this is for all dealerships or just mine. Just figured I'd put it out there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
Might as well dispel a few myths here...
First off there is no way in hell the service department is going to give you the unit and let you swap it out yourself, not happening, they won't even let you get near the thought of doing so. Also if you're ever working on your own the battery should be disconnected and then left to sit for at least 5-mins, turning on other electrical accessories to "drain" any air bag capacitors will not do anything as they are in no way connected, the capacitor will naturally disparate its energy once it looses its power source, you will not however effect how fast it does so.

#21 ·
Soooo, if I order a part from my dealer, he absolutely will not hand it over to me?

#22 ·
If you want to be sure that your car has been recalled, type your VIN number into this website: Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

I did, and this is what I got:

Year: 2009 Make: DODGE Model: CHALLENGER

Number of Open Recalls: 1

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 15V-444 Recall Date: July 14, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: R37

SUMMARY:

THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. SAFETY RISK:

AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY SERIOUSLY INJURING THE VEHICLE OCCUPANT(S). REMEDY:

THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:

This recall data last refreshed: Jul 22, 2015

By the way, Motor Trend is reporting that the recall of driver and front passenger air bag inflators has expanded from 3.4 to 34 million cars. Due to the size of the recall and Takata's commitments to provide air bags for new cars, it has subcontracted out 70% of the replacement inflators to TRW Automotive, Autoliv and others. However, at least 400,000 of the replacements inflators might still be using the chemical igniter that is adversely affected by humidity. Half a million replacements have been confirmed safe, but the status of an additional 3 million is unknown.

Takata plans to ship at least 1 million replacement inflators a month from its factories and contractors. At that rate, it will take more than two years to complete the recall barring any additional problems.

What a screw-up!

#27 ·
I received the notice from FCA in the mail today concerning this recall. Along with the postcard that you send back to FCA after the repair is done (or if you have to inform them that you no longer own the car), it states that FCA will notify you again once the parts are available. After they notify you that the parts are available, then you can schedule the appointment at the dealer.

#28 ·
Got the same thing today. Wonder how long it will be until the parts are available?

#29 ·
It is more dangerous in high levels of absolute humidity for long periods of time. Well, we live in Louisiana and we have very high levels of humidity all summer long. If our airbag explodes, who would we sue? I would guess Chrysler.

#30 ·
Got my recall notice in the mail a few days ago. I'll be waiting for the "parts available" signal, too...

#32 · (Edited)
Got my "pre" recall in the mail. Along with one for my GF's 2010 Mustang. Wondering if her parents 2010 Explorer will be included also. Looks like a MAJOR mess all around!!

#35 ·
Since fca is saying drive at your own risk, it would nice if they gave us loaner cars. But that probably mean leaving your car sit at a dealer until the part was is. We should be fine unless we are in a accident. So for now the car sits, get washed, and sits some more.

#36 ·
I'm glad I sold my 2010 Classic. I'd no idea I was driving around with a Claymore in the steering wheel for 26,000 miles!

#37 ·
Live Hard. Die Hard...John McClain style, bro! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.