Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger vs C7 it was fun!

13K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Cuda340 
#1 ·
So NO this is not a racing thread! I traded in my 15 SRT for a 16 C7 Z51.....

While its an apples to oranges comparison, I wanted to share my feelings on the two cars in case someone is thinking about making this move in the future.

So here is my break down....the Challenger is better in a few ways and not.....

1) Back seat and trunk....this is obvious if you need either stop reading here. While the new C7 has room to be used as an everyday car its NOT like the challenger obviously.

2) Interior layout and seats - Split here. The challenger offers things the vette doesn't and vice versa however the vette is much less dependent on the screen. The challenger seats are more comfy and don't have to come in leather (which I hate)

3) Uconnect vs MyLink - UCONNECT ALL THE WAY! All you guys complaining about how its not a good system go sit with MyLink for a few hours and see. Features, functions, and response are all better in Uconnect.

4) Creature comforts....slight edge to Dodge. Most of the features in the SRT are available in the vette but some are not and when you are comparing a 55K car to a 70K one you EXPECT stuff to be there. Also better included subscriptions.

5) Driving - I will break this into two parts. 1) street driving and just everyday moving around goes to the Challenger. It feels like a brute, its in your face and the way the gearing is set it feels "stronger". I "know" what I'm driving. 2) Hard driving or anything other than light to light or require turns!..... easy the vette all day but you knew that. Vette feels likes a Lexus at times until you give it a little go pedal or put it in sport mode, then it turns into the car you expect.

I enjoyed the SRT but I drive hard and I track often and the Challenger is a school bus in those areas. Great car and EVEN BETTER forum here! The Vette guys are a way to stiff for my liking. Thanks guys for all of the info and support here.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm. I believe that if I didn't already own a Challenger, your post just talked me into getting a Challenger.

Anyway, enjoy the Corvette. That's a fine car.

#3 ·
Depends what you want. Obviously I like the Vette MORE to make the switch but I'm being honest here. Lots of times I see post where its making the other brand seem so much better. All cars have faults and positives. I'm happy with my Vette no regrets on the switch.

#4 ·
My neighbor has a new C7 Stingray M7 and he can barely keep up with my A8 Scat Pack up to about 120mph. That would be beyond a 1/4 mile. After that he pulls on me. I took him from a dig both times we tried and we went from about a 35mph roll several times. They are no doubt, great cars. My dad had a Vette when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for them. My neighbor was sure annoyed my big fat Challenger fared so well against his new C7.

I know this isn't a racing thread, my point was more about bang for the buck (in a straight line) between the two cars and how everyone assumes because it's a Vette that it's so much faster.

#17 ·
Why was he so bothered that you hung with him? His car only makes 460/460 against a car that makes 485/475. He could have got an SS Camaro and had the same exact engine. I know there's a 800 pound difference between the two, but he's driving a manual against an auto as well. If he's bothered that he probably spent 25K more to hang with a Challenger then maybe he bought the wrong car lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post and for being more objective than most when it comes to comparisons. A lot of posts I see in these kinds of threads amount to:

CHALLENGER RULZ!

MUSTANG/CAMARO/VETTE SUX! LOL

Obviously, reality is a little more nuanced than that. All four of those cars are marvels of modern engineering and each one offers something unique based on an individual's preferences. Personally, I like the Challenger for the reasons you mentioned (and a few you didn't mention), but that's me.

Enjoy your Z51. You bought yourself a hell of a car. ;)

#7 ·
Thanks, yeah see I don't do straight line so in that area having the fastest straight car means nothing to me. I wanted the overall better performing car for my driving style / needs. I'm on a challenger forum so yeah obvious bias here lol. The Vette has winning many winning points over the Challenger but these are the points I see standing out for Dodge.

#8 ·
Thanks for sharing. Several friends have C7's. One complaint they share is you have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the car if you are of certain height or weight. All like the handling.

#9 ·
I agree with what BWBIKE said in his post above.
I think the Corvette is an awesome car. However, comparing it to a Challenger is serious apple to oranges.
To me, the only "better" thing about the Vette is that it's a better race car (around curves) than a Challenger. Otherwise, as you pointed out, the Challenger is better at everything else.
This is pretty much in line with the saying of "always use the right tool for the job". If all one wants from a car is to race, then choose a car that's built for that since convenience and comfort isn't required.
I'm betting the Vette is going to be a great move for you and I hope you enjoy it!

#12 ·
Congrats on the Vette....

#13 ·
Congrats on the vette! I have a 2015 Z51 3LT convertible with MSRC that I ordered and picked up at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY. I just bought a 2016 Scat Pack about a month ago for kid hauling duties. Both cars are great which is why I own both of them! The Challenger is a muscle car. The Vette is a sports car. The Challenger is a quick car, but nowhere near my vette from a dig. The Challenger really needs better or bigger tires to really bite out of the hole. We all know the weight is a considerable difference as well. I like being able to adjust suspension, exhaust, shift points, and steering in the vette. The different screens in different modes are really cool on the vette too. The Challenger has a touchy pedal and loves to burn rubber for no real reason. It has no manners which is probably what makes it so fun to drive :). It is great having a choice between two really good cars. The vette tends to win out on beautiful days since there really is nothing better than a convertible when the sun is shining. The Challenger is an incredible value price wise. It delivers a lot of power for the money. I love the retro looks on the Challenger, and the exhaust note is really great. I have owned my vette for quite a while and my only real complaint is the seats are a bit narrow. I haven't had the Challenger very long and only have about 600 miles on it. My only complaint on it is that the tires should be bigger and bite more. You will enjoy the Corvette for different reasons than the Challenger. I will always be a Corvette guy, but my Challenger is a close second. I have the same user name on the corvette forum.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone. Yeah both great cars, figured I would share as not everyone can own both. And I know the differences in them for sure (Muscle car guy here) and I stated that at the top of all this.

Personally the Vette is better for me and if I can get a challenger again on the cheap I will for sure! Get them miles and memories in!!

#18 · (Edited)
N. It's livable for sure, I spent a week with a viper now THATS loud![/QUOTE]

I think most welcome a fair evaluation of two different cars.I can see why many like the C7.Hope you enjoy it .
I know you will.

Kinda off topic, but since you mentioned it.,I've heard the Viper is more raw than a Corvette,and in regard to the road noise is it the tires or exhaust?Probably both I would assume.Do they have an overly harsh ride?
The reason I ask is that at some point I may consider buying one.I realize the Corvette is more road friendly,but the Viper is something that I've dreamed about since they first came out.Plus I've become pretty much a die hard Mopar head.Not that I can't appreciate other brands if they are worthy.
Even foriegn cars .

Anyway if you could elaborate on the Viper experience since you appear to give a fair evaluation, just for curiosity sake.

#20 ·
Bad daytona,

Is the viper more raw then a Vette...YES. The older ones (anything pre - 13) has no "nanny" features therefore not as forgiving. I prefer the latest gen anyway.

My comparison is for the 15 viper vs 16 vette. Viper feels like a beast from the second your start it! I prefer the interior layout and materials vs the Vette. The Vette is much more comfortable! In the viper the seat doesn't move much and the column does NOT move in or out, you get adjustable pedals.

Viper, the exhaust is right by your ears so driving with the windows down and some tunes is not a option with a viper. Actually driving with the windows down at all is not really an option unless you are in the mood for the exhaust noise.

Getting in and out of the car requires a learning curve as you WILL burn yourself if you're not careful.

Storage is a wash on both of them. Road ride I didn't find harsh in either one.

Honestly if you going to live with the car daily or more than once and a while take out the Vette is the MUCH easier to "LIVE" with. Viper is killer I am a fan but it belongs on the track not on the street, you both will be happier!!

You can't have a viper as your only car its just not meant to be that. I know most will say who has only a viper but thats how I look at vehicles. REAL use not just show and shine.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks! Well If were to get one it would not be for daily use.If you look at my list I have no shortage of daily drivers.I drove the old Challenger as a daily driver for years,no power anything,no AC and with the headers under the floor it was hot,and with SS springs also harsh.

But I'm am getting up there and can appreciate some comfort.I'm glad you mentioned the ride was not hasrh.That was a concern.

My thought is possibly running an exhaust to the rear.Plus I'm over 6.5 which could be a challenge.But that's something I've learned to deal with through the years.We had an older Corvette and a Dodge Stealth RT that I managed to squeeze into.I almost had to crawll out of them though.

#23 ·
Thanks for the honest assessment. I have been fighting the urge for awhile to pick up a new vette. 4 folks have new C7's in my neighborhood. I have ridden and drove them. Like the speed. But I find the seats and the interior a little confining. I'm only 5' 10" 180 but it's still tight. Seat bolsters on GT seats push into my hips. But I love the looks, I love the speed. Driving me crazy. I own a 2010 RT classic 6 speed. Front and rear strut tower braces, CAI, Great tires BFG G-force 2AS's. So the car handles pretty darn well. And is comfortable. But I keep looking at Vettes.

#25 ·
It has no manners which is probably what makes it so fun to drive . It is great having a choice between two really good cars. The vette tends to win out on beautiful days since there really is nothing better than a convertible when the sun is shining. The Challenger is an incredible value price wise. It delivers a lot of power for the money.

#26 ·
Congratulations on your C7 Corvette. It is an awesome car.

Like everyone has said, you can't compare a Corvette to a Challenger- they are two totally different cars.

MOPAR was always about muscle cars. It didn't even have a sports car until the Viper was introduced in 1992. That's why most MOPAR enthusiasts buy a Challenger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.