Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Struggle with tire spin

14K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Pioneer4x4 
#1 ·
I take my R/T to the track as much as I can. I'm still running 245/45/20s on the factory classic wheels. I spin terrible off the line and don't know what to change 1st. I have to stay budget minded and I'm torn.

Would I be better off upgrading the rear end because it's an open diff or throwing 17's with DR's on the back? I've run a best of 13.55 @ 105mph with the car. I feel like I'm killing my 60' spinning the way I am.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
+2 on drag radials. Do some dry hops after your burnout at the track also. Being you have an open rear 1 tire could be spinning while you are doing a burnout and the other may still have water on it. Makes no sense to put an open rear in a R/T.

With only M/T drag radials I went 12.91 with our '18 Challenger R/T last fall

#4 ·
It also helps to drive around the burn out box and back into it.
I have driven thru it and my front tires drug so much water onto the track that my 0-60 was 2.6.
could not hook.
But backing in to the box I was 1.7.

#5 ·
If your on a budge, which most of us are just put 20inch drag radials on it. If its your daily I would go with spare set of 17s. I had 20in drag radials hold the track until I started changing gears and stall speeds. Like Vorteced mentioned, give it a few hops after the burn out is complete.

#8 ·
60' is in the 2.6's. I've looked at DR's for the factory wheels but they seem to all be too wide. Is there a size that fits without bulging to far over the wheel lip?

I'll need to take a Friday off to go to test n tune. To try the suggestion made for burnouts and no burnout.

I do not daily drive my car. I take it out of the garage a few times a month on my days off. Running drag radials would be fine to run all the time.

#12 ·
I'd definitely just throw some drag radials on too, you'll be surprised how well they work and there's very little to be gained by doing more tire stuff, you're chasing hundreths after that, not tenths IMO.

Anyway, that's a crazy high 60 foot, I get like 2.3-2.4 when I have considerable spin. Good luck!

FWIW I have had both and the Mickey Thompson ET street S/S is much better than the Nitto 555r Extreme Drag Radial.

#9 ·
I ran Nitto 555r when I was on 20s. Then Nitto 05r on 18s. Mickey Thompsons on 18s. And running M&H on 17s now. Next time you go out on the street tires, Take them down to around 20 psi, don't get to smokey because the street tire will actually get greasy like the more smoke you get off them. Tilt the mirror down, soon as you see some smoke start your way out of the box.

#11 ·
Avoid the burnout box all together on street tires. Roll into the throttle.
If you are planning more modifications down the line, look to invest in some rear drag wheels 17-18” and drag radials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20 on 20" wheels. Run them at 19-21psi. Do a moderate burnout. You'll hook well unless the track prep is absolutely horrible.

You can drop some additional time by switching to lightweight 17" wheels with front runners, but that also costs more. Just starting out, go with 20" drag radials.

#15 ·
Keep in mind we put 275s on 9 inch Scat Pack wheels. You may have 8 inch wheels and need to try to find a 255/40 or 255/45.

Just curious what your 60 foot was on that 13.5@105 run? That one must have had little to no spin - right?

#18 ·
Looks like everybody has steered you in the right direction. Definitely get some tires , and don’t burnout on street tires. For street tires, skip the box and do a very quick spin to clean them off. Roll into the throttle and once you feel you have traction hit wot. After tires , an lsd wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Shameless plug , I have a set of 18’s with almost new(about 1000miles , nopasses) MT et SS 305/40/18. Wheels are forged and weigh 19lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I know a lot of people are telling you not to do a "burnout" on street tires.

I'm going to tell you to experiment and find out what your tires like.

All of the street tires I've run did better with at least a little heat in them. Usually just a little scrub and light smoke.

Especially if your track is set up so that you cannot really drive around the waterbox.

YMMV, find out for yourself. Different tires are different.

#20 ·
All of the street tires I've run did better with at least a little heat in them. Usually just a little scrub and light smoke.
I completely agree with you. I've always done better on street tires after doing a burnout with them. Not John Force sytle, but definitely get them hot enough to see some smoke rolling off.

#22 ·
Finally was able to make it out to the track last Wednesday night. Air was hot and humid. I found the best way with my current tires is to back into the box and roll them clean. No smoke, but just enough to make them chirp.

Grabbed a 60' of 2.12, but due to the shitty air only ran a 13.78 @ 101.8mph. You could literally feel and hear the engine flatten out due to the air temps in 3rd gear. Track temp was 121 on that pass.

Finally have decided on a wheel and tire combo. I'm ordering a set of staggered 20" Demon replica wheels. Up front will be 275/40/20 tires out back will be 305/35/20 Mickey Thompson DR's.

I had to take the time to decide whether I'd actually like satin black wheels on my car. I'll post pics when they come in.

I'll have them on the next time I'm at the track.

#24 ·
Placed my order on the 4th of July so that delays shipping a bit. I live in Ohio and ordered the tires and TPMS sensors from Summit. They should be here no later then Monday.

The Demon replica wheels are from Factory Reproductions, and are shipping from California. That may take a while?. They offered overnight air for $1,800 but the wife said no. That's not true. She actually said "Yeah...I don't ****ing think so!" So FEDEX ground it is!
Next track day is July 10th. I probably won't go unless the air is really good and it looks like my wheels won't be here before then.

Once everything is here, the local Firestone dealer said they'll mount and balance all 4 for $120 out the door.

Thanks guys for all the track tips. I'll be using a lot of then to figure out what the DR's like.

#26 ·
One of the 20x9.5 wheels showed up today. They were all scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I have the day off, so it would have been nice to get them all. Now I'll be stuck waiting until next week to get them on the car.

FR did a good job with packaging the wheel. The face was well protected and came flawless. Being in Ohio, I was worried with them shipping from Chino California.

Attachments

#27 ·
I dropped everything off(wheels, tires, sensors)at the tire shop Friday morning. While I was at work(2nd shift) my wife called and asked if I was good to bring the car in Saturday morning to get them put on. The guy said he hadn't even programmed the sensors yet. He told her my wheels would be ready Sunday morning. So I guess I'm waiting until then.

#29 ·
I really like those wheels and have a similar set(Hellraisers with NTO5R's) and you are gonna love the hookup!
Looks good!
I just recently put my stock tires back on(all season Pirelli's) and quickly realized how sticky the DR's are on the street also.
I was spinning and sliding a lot.
Maybe I need to slow down a little.

#31 ·
Looks good!

#34 ·
Well my tire spin is gone. The Mickey Thompson's dropped my 60' to 1.982.

My overall E.T. did not improve. The best I ran all night was a 13.619 at 102.3 MPH. This weekend is the Monster Mopar event at Norwalk. So there was a large Mopar presence. I spoke to a couple guys there who think the issue is probably the 20×9.5 front wheels and 275 tires. Between the added weight and rolling resistance, they're probably right.

Overall I'm happy with my decision on the wheel and tire combo. The car is more controlled and predictable off the line. Now that I have traction it's time for more power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.