First Time at the track with the headers on, also got to race a Demon! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Track Talk This is the place to post time slips, track stories, track photos and videos, and track event info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
First Time at the track with the headers on, also got to race a Demon!

Well last night was the last track night of the year in my city. Finally got to get out and see what kind of times I'd run with the headers on! Street legals had been cancelled 3 weeks in a row for bad weather, I was worried I wouldn't get to see any time slips until next year. It was probably the most fun I've had at a street legal night! There were a ton of mopar guys out there, specifically late model Challengers, although I was the only 5.7 there. Usually there's maybe only a couple SRT's out, this time there was 3 Hellcats, 3 392 SRT's, a 392 T/A, 2 6.1 SRTs (one of them with a procharger) and a Demon! It was the fist Demon I've seen in public. Was chatting with the guy, he was super nice. He mentioned it was his first time out at the track with it and he was excited to see how the car would do. Go figure my first race of the day was against the Demon! Pretty impressive I've gotta say. That car took off so hard it was pretty much a distant memory by the time I was halfway down the track!

Hooking up with the headers on was really tough. My best results were leaving off idle, where as before I could rev it to 1800-2000 and ease into it.

Best run of the day was 13.5848 @ 104mph with a 2.1705 60' and an 8.8487 1/8 mile at 83.82 MPH (our track is at 2300 FASL, was looking for weather info to correct the DA but for some reason it was unavailable). That's .4 better than my previous best with a way softer launch than I used to do when I was stock! Temps for the run were around 8*C so it wasn't really the best weather for grip out there either. I imagine with some 555R's or something equivalent I would see that drop another few 10ths of a second which is a pretty big ET drop for just putting headers on a factory exhaust! It was also kinda cool that I was running a little faster than a few of the 392 cars out there as well as one of the 6.1's. Raced one of the new LT1 Camaro's as well, I spun a bit, ended up losing by about 2 car lengths, it was a close race! The Camaro ran a 13.4. It's nice to be running similar times to all those guys, with the 5.7 you're always used to being the under dog.

Part of what made the day so awesome was how nice everyone was and just being able to talk cars with a bunch of Mopar guys. Chatted for quite awhile with the guy who owned the Demon as well as the Hellcat guys and the SRT guys. It was fun checking out what mods everyone had done, hear about what tires they were all running and what they were doing to try and get out of the hole clean. There's some pretty awesome people in the Mopar community around here and it made for a really great day. Not a bad way to end the season!

2009 Challenger R/T
Black, 6 speed, track pak, 20" wheels
Mods: Stainless Works Long tube headers.

1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by
, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a fun time for sure. Long or short-tube headers? You mentioned hooking up to the stock exhaust...

Oops, nevermind. Just saw you sig. LOL
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRT View Post
Congrats! Sounds like a fun time for sure. Long or short-tube headers? You mentioned hooking up to the stock exhaust...

Oops, nevermind. Just saw you sig. LOL
Yep 1 7/8" long tubes, high flow catted mids hooked to the factory catback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Track Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode