Challenger Jack Points - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks Search for them here or contribute your own... *NOTE: This info is contributed by users like you - use the techniques outlined herein with caution and at your own risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Challenger Jack Points

I've had several people e-mail me to ask what locations I use to jack up the Challenger to allow placement of jack stands. Below are the two locations I've found that work for me. Following my suggestion is obviously done at your own risk, and never support a vehicle with a jack, ALWAYS use jack stands. I've had a jack fail, it happens more often than you'd think and you can get hurt quick supporting a vehicle with a jack.

For the front, I use what I call the front frame rails. I raise the vehicle just enough to allow placement of the jack stand at the stock jack point location at each corner. The ledge of my jack stands are just a tad wider than the stock jack point location, so I place it just behind to avoid damage to the plastic surround.

[IMG]********************************challengerweb/challenger_jack_points/images/challenger_jack_point_01.jpg[/IMG]

For the rear I use the bottom of the suspension mount. Again, I just raise the vehicle high enough to allow placement of my jack stand at the jack point on the corner indicated by a cut out in the black plastic.

[IMG]********************************challengerweb/challenger_jack_points/images/challenger_jack_point_02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]********************************challengerweb/challenger_maintenance/challenger_oil_change/images/challenger_oil_change_11.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a factory service manual and it shows the jack points.

In your last picture you can see the rear one, it's the black round protrusion sticking down just to the right of your jack stand.

The front points are just inboard of the side of the car. The jack pad contacts the frame.

I have a two post lift but the jack contact points are the same for a floor jack.

Next time I put mine up on my lift I'll take some pictures to show where they are.

Here's a warning from the FSM.

"A floor jack or any lifting device must never be used on any part of the underbody other than the described areas."
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Clngr View Post
I have a factory service manual and it shows the jack points.

In your last picture you can see the rear one, it's the black round protrusion sticking down just to the right of your jack stand.

The front points are just inboard of the side of the car. The jack pad contacts the frame.

I have a two post lift but the jack contact points are the same for a floor jack.

Next time I put mine up on my lift I'll take some pictures to show where they are.

Here's a warning from the FSM.

"A floor jack or any lifting device must never be used on any part of the underbody other than the described areas."
I saw those pads, but a couple of folks on here have reported crushing them when trying to use them as a point to lift the vehicle.

Also, I don't believe this vehicle has a frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 AM

I tried placing the hydraulic jack under the steel crossmember below the oil pan. This was not a good place - I crushed it in just a bit.
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy! View Post
I saw those pads, but a couple of folks on here have reported crushing them when trying to use them as a point to lift the vehicle.

Also, I don't believe this vehicle has a frame.
True, there is no "frame" per se. So call them "unibody frame like parts".

Here's a close up of what I believe is the right front jack pad point on the car. (the hole is where the jack pad will be cenered) The part sticking down is what I call the "frame" or if you prefer "unibody frame like parts". You can see the way the plastic part has been formed to make an area that will accomidate a jack pad.

I have used those pads for my Challenger & my daughters 2006 Charger. Had no problem whatsoever. If you look at the pix from the FSM that appears to be the exact place they specify for a jack point. I have a Ben Pearson two post asymmetrical 9000 pound lift. The jack pads are about 4 x 5 inches, and have a post on them that fits in a hole on the end of the lift arm. They can rotate for better alignment and contact.

Here's a picture (not a real good one) of the Challenger on the lift with the lift arm pad under that protrusion.

As I said, this sure appears to be where the FSM shows the jack points. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll go back to the shop and see if they have any Challengers (or Chargers as they have the exact same jack points) on a two post lift.

The only issue I have with the Challenger is reaching the spot and not having the outside of the lift arm come up against the rocker panel (plastic) before the pad contacts the under side of the car on that "frame like part". I had to add a spacer under the lift arm pad to raise it enough where it made contact first. I do have spacers that can be used to address this issue on things like trucks with running boards, but they are too long to fit under the Challenger, so I made my own shorter ones with a stack of BIG, really BIG washers!

FYI here's a picture of my 1972 Road Runner on the same lift. It doesn't have a "frame" either, but the part of the unibody that looks like what used to be called a frame is where it's FSM shows the jack ponts to be located.

Last edited by 09Clngr; 09-30-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: put images back in post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09Clngr For This Useful Post:
Briwood (10-14-2014), JWW (09-20-2014)
post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Good info.

You're talking about the blue bar with a hole in the middle in the below picture as the jack point right? I think that's called a frame rail, not positive on that. That's the point I use to lift the front.

post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So if I have a flat on the front of the car is it OK to put the scissor jack on the cut out in the rocker panel at the edge of the car? Or does it have to go way under like you have pictured?
I'm confused......

2009 DWB R/T gone, but fondly remembered
2013 SRT8 Bright White A5 w/Radar Red interior (1 of 64)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs518 View Post
So if I have a flat on the front of the car is it OK to put the scissor jack on the cut out in the rocker panel at the edge of the car? Or does it have to go way under like you have pictured?
I'm confused......
In the manual it says the jack point is at the cut out in the rocker panel. That's also where I put my jack stands.

The other points mentioned are for raising the vehicle to place jack stands. Changing a flat, you'll just be lifting the car at one point, to place jack stands you need 2 for each location, one for the jack the other for the jack stand.

Hope that makes sense.

post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs518 View Post
I'm confused......
Can't help much there. My car has no spare nor jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to 09Clngr For This Useful Post:
Kai-028 (12-24-2015)
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy! View Post
In the manual it says the jack point is at the cut out in the rocker panel. That's also where I put my jack stands.

The other points mentioned are for raising the vehicle to place jack stands. Changing a flat, you'll just be lifting the car at one point, to place jack stands you need 2 for each location, one for the jack the other for the jack stand.

Hope that makes sense.
Along those lines...when I first put my Daughter's car on my lift, I didn't have the FSM. So I took the pad off the front arms, and put the three inch extensions in place, but without the pads on top. Then I maneuvered the arms so the extension (just a round steel rod 1 3/4 inches in diameter) past the front rocker panel cutout, into the area or channel where you put your front jack stands, and lifted the car that way. Worked just fine with no problems.

I tried the same thing with my Challenger, but since it's lower to the ground I couldn't get the top of the extension to clear the rocker panel. I had to resort to a small bottle jack to lift the car up slightly, maybe 1/2 inch or less. Just was too much of a hassle, so now I swing the arms underneath to the FSM specified jack location.

Later today I'll be putting the Challenger up on the lift and will get some detailed pictures of how the lift pads fit into the FSM specified jacking positions.

As far as the dealer goes, I think they use drive on lifts so the jacking points are not an issue.

Last edited by 09Clngr; 03-14-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode