Front hood bumper seal - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks Search for them here or contribute your own... *NOTE: This info is contributed by users like you - use the techniques outlined herein with caution and at your own risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Front hood bumper seal

I finally found out what the noise was in the front appearing to be coming from the dash. It was the front hood rubber seal bumper being sucked out and flapping against top of hood. I have a 2010 challenger SE and I Ned a part number for this seal. Also, what sized of plastic rivets do I need ? I want to do this myself to avoid being robbed at the squealership.
One guy online says it takes two different sized rivets in the end and the rest are another size. Any opinions ? I would need the bumper and rivers and rivet gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Give a shout to Steve White Motors - Luke will certainly be able to help you with this.

MODS: Re-done interior, Hurst shifter, aeroforce guages, custom dash guages, Speedlogx ram air hood, custom true-fire paint under hood and trunk deck, chrome 6.1 intake, Arrington TB, CC, polished valve and coil pack covers, strut tower brace, JBA shorty headers with high flow cats and mid pipes,HHP tune, BT stainless engine bay parts.

These forums are keeping me broke!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Dodge Challenger Hood Front Fascia Bumper Seal Weatherstrip with Rivets Mopar OE | eBay

2014 R/T Bright White 28F, STP, Anti-Spin, 4861940AC, 82211622, 82211234, 82211683AC, 82211684AD, BT Catch Can
The Following User Says Thank You to Sudz For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (03-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challydeano View Post
I finally found out what the noise was in the front appearing to be coming from the dash. It was the front hood rubber seal bumper being sucked out and flapping against top of hood. I have a 2010 challenger SE and I Ned a part number for this seal. Also, what sized of plastic rivets do I need ? I want to do this myself to avoid being robbed at the squealership.
One guy online says it takes two different sized rivets in the end and the rest are another size. Any opinions ? I would need the bumper and rivers and rivet gun.
This is a common problem. Probably a million threads on this if you search the forum. Most parts depts will carry the seal for a couple bucks. Get the rivets from online rather than the $5-7 a piece at the dealer. I used christmas tree style clips that you can purchase from an autostore instead of the rivets. Easier to replace later on if the same thing happens and still looks like a factory install.

2010 Challenger SRT8 6M Brilliant Black
Personal Best: 12.92 @ 108.6
Performance: Zoomers (Modified), LMI Hammer, Trinity w/ Johan Tune, 180 T-Stat
Wheels: Black Chrome Alcoa SRT, Staggered BFG Comp2's, SRT Center Caps, Black Lugs
Appearance: BT Catch Can w/ Z-Bracket & Braided Hoses, SRT Nose Badge, Satin Black Fuel Door, Sequential Tail Lights, LED Lights, Big Worm Tints, 20% Window Tint, RPI Mud Guards
The Following User Says Thank You to SRTbatmobile For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (03-29-2019)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 PM

What SRTbatmobile said. The weatherstrip from Dodge isn't all that bad, like 30 bucks or so. But those $8 rivets are absolutely RIDICULOUS! Harbor Tool and Freight sells the gun and the rivets in a kit for like $15 total. Or you can just use any old Xmas tree rivets.

Funny story: I had mine replaced under warranty. Picked up the car and the seal looked wrong, with a bulge? I pop the hood and the attention to detail "Technician" had missed the rivet hole on the end. I told the service guy to fix it and guess what, they ran out of the rivets. I told him GREAT WORK! I'll fix it the right way myself. Drove to Harbor, bought the rivet gun and installed the rivet through the hole.

Confidence very low in my local Dealer Service Department.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Here's my how to with links to the parts.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5013764&type=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challydeano View Post

2009 R/T Deep Water Blue 6-Speed (Only 450 made in this trim in 2009)
20" Foose Legend Wheels and HD Brakes
Drilled and Slotted Rotors with Ceramic Pads
Hurst Linkage w/ G & K Mods and Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Lowered 1.7" with Eibach Springs and Sway Bars
Blue BT Catch Can-K&N Air Intake-Cabin Air Filter
Mopar Exhaust Tips,Caps,Front Badge,Steering Wheel,and Fuel Door Insert
Caliper Covers, Polished Stainless Steel Under the Hood

Last edited by swiftjr; 03-25-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Or you could just leave it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 DWB 6sp R/T
70 AAR Cuda
70 Cuda Vert
The Following User Says Thank You to ns1aar For This Useful Post:
SoCalChallengerLover (09-09-2016)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Nice pic of your Cuda. We have a 1970 Cuda - 383 Convertible with automatic. Just had her repainted in the original Burnt Orange Metallic color. She is amazing!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

Why bother replacing, they only last about a year.

"If the PC game is called "FINAL Fantasy" why are there 15 versions of it??"

PAST PLEASURES......
2014 Bilitt Silver Rallye Redline
2016 Jazz Blue Purple Stripe SXT PLUS

CURRENT RIDE....
2018 Torred R/T
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,874 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalChallengerLover View Post
Why bother replacing, they only last about a year.

Here is a cheap and permanent DIY solution to the problem that was previously posted by one of our members.

Instead of paying the dealer $70+ for a flimsy rubber strip that will eventually dry out and crack, simply buy thin 2 1/4" weather stripping for garage doors. It's angled and can be attached below the plastic retainer, as well as on it, using 3M double-sided tape. The material is made to withstand constant exposure to the elements as well as weight resting on it.

Here is a photo of it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubberstrip.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	721665  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
mval (09-09-2016), tdubi708 (09-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > How-To, DIY and Tips & Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode