Driving Dick Landy's Challenger on the Street - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Classic Dodge Challenger Specific Need to discuss something specific to the Classic Dodge Challenger? This is the place to do it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,872 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Driving Dick Landy's Challenger on the Street

Cool video of Dick Landy's Challenger being driven to DuPont Registry Corporate Headquarters' Cars & Coffee December 2013, in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Just listen to that idle and exhaust!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
A Guy (11-21-2018), Fawls (11-21-2018), hawkgfr (11-23-2018), MrMac (11-22-2018), Pauljw (11-22-2018), PSM450 (11-23-2018), Speedlogix-Sales (11-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 PM

yeah that's exactly how loud I want my '15 to be. It could idle a little smoother though to be street friendly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Julian For This Useful Post:
Speedlogix-Sales (11-23-2018)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
yeah that's exactly how loud I want my '15 to be. It could idle a little smoother though to be street friendly.
Electric cut outs could get you close on the volume.

The idle? Be thankful you don't have to go there.

It's easy to forget what that SUPER COOL sound at idle is really all about. None of it good for the street.

Dick Landy never cared if this car could make power or run right at under 3000RPM. It's a race car that could still "stumble" it's way to the line for a race. While racing it wouldn't have ever even seen a sub 3,000RPM reading on the tach.

In your street driven car though you better care about power down low. Under 3,000RPM is where modern cars with over-drive gearing in the transmissions spend 99% of their time running.

This video shows a short ride on a mostly deserted street. It's almost acceptable but imagine this car driven in traffic........it'd be the very PICTURE of MISERABLE to drive in no time. Terrible low end power and awful MPG compared to what you could have with way less cam.

At the race track: launches that include a high RPM Clutch dump off the line and shifts at really high RPM is where this car's engine and cam profile work........on the street they'd be the worst possible choice and no amount of "cool" idle sound can overcome that.

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 11-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
Electric cut outs could get you close on the volume.

The idle? Be thankful you don't have to go there.

It's easy to forget what that SUPER COOL sound at idle is really all about. None of it good for the street.

Dick Landy never cared if this car could make power or run right at under 3000RPM. It's a race car that could still "stumble" it's way to the line for a race. While racing it wouldn't have ever even seen a sub 3,000RPM reading on the tach.

In your street driven car though you better care about power down low. Under 3,000RPM is where modern cars with over-drive gearing in the transmissions spend 99% of their time running.

This video shows a short ride on a mostly deserted street. It's almost acceptable but imagine this car driven in traffic........it'd be the very PICTURE of MISERABLE to drive in no time. Terrible low end power and awful MPG compared to what you could have with way less cam.

At the race track: launches that include a high RPM Clutch dump off the line and shifts at really high RPM is where this car's engine and cam profile work........on the street they'd be the worst possible choice and no amount of "cool" idle sound can overcome that.
Yes I was stating I love the open headers but for the street and especially in an Automatic with vacuum assisted brakes without a high stahl converter and a vacuum reservoir, less overlap of the cam (the time when both exhaust and intake valves are open) would be preferable but I LOVE open headers, and I do not cry about drone. A cam with a 108 degree center line would probably be lumpy enough for the street and should provide good mid range torque, that is if engine building gas not changed much since the '70's.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Garage
I love the cam, but wouldn't want to have to pay the gas bill for it now days. I know because back in the day my '68 GTO had a cam, and it got about 9 mpg on the freeway.

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Such as awesome video. Yes I know it would be no fun driving this thing on the street for a prolonged amount of time but man I would love to do it just once. Just once! You see all those people with their jaws dropping looking at this thing as it pulls into cars and coffee with all their exotics and mustangs and everything else parked on the side, and here comes this beast lumping in with that thunderous cam and wild rev...just priceless.

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
Such as awesome video. Yes I know it would be no fun driving this thing on the street for a prolonged amount of time but man I would love to do it just once. Just once! You see all those people with their jaws dropping looking at this thing as it pulls into cars and coffee with all their exotics and mustangs and everything else parked on the side, and here comes this beast lumping in with that thunderous cam and wild rev...just priceless.
Yeah, their is "cool" and then there is "COOL!"

You're run of the mill Hell Cat is kinda "cool".

A Demon at least a capital "C" "Cool"

But this is just stupid "COOL!" A level that requires you to be more than just merely FAST.........you gotta have the historical significance worthy of it to make it to all Caps "COOL!"

That old Challenger with the Race history and it's patriotic Red, White and Blue themed paint definitely qualifies for sure.

So yeah, pain in the ass to drive on the street isn't going to get in the way of a desire to take for a spin on sunny Sunday!

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 11-22-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
Yeah, their is "cool" and then there is "COOL!"

You're run of the mill Hell Cat is kinda "cool".

A Demon at least a capital "C" "Cool"

But this is just stupid "COOL!" A level that requires you to be more than just merely FAST.........you gotta have the historical significance worthy of it to make it to all Caps "COOL!"

That old Changer with the Race history and it's patriotic Red, White and Blue themed paint definitely qualifies for sure.

So yeah, pain in the ass to drive on the street isn't going to get in the way of a desire to take for a spin on sunny Sunday!

You got that right brother. An occasional drive in one of these things would be amazing...and the OH Sh*t look on people's faces when you pull up behind them or beside them at a light and they can feel that cam lope in their whole body lol...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Now that is a proper arrival lol....Very nice.

I remember the Dick Landy Super bee commercials on TV...

I'm old lol

My past fun cars..

3 1965 GTO's and an 05 GTO
1 00 GTP
3 TA's 76/85/01
2 Mustangs 96 GT and 04 Mach1
3 Hemi ram trucks 03/12/14 Bighorn
5 Corvettes /07/11/ 12/13/15
TRADED
2012 Challenger SRT 6sp manual.
Traded
2013 arctic white corvette 6 speed manual.
2015 Corvette Stingray Sold 8 15 2015
Traded
2015 RT 392 Scat Pack M6 Torred. stripper.
Current
2016 R/T Scat pack 392 Shaker. Bright White SPAG M6 (1 of 306)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Classic Dodge Challenger Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode