Parts for '70 Challenger T/A were tough to find - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Classic Dodge Challenger Specific Need to discuss something specific to the Classic Dodge Challenger? This is the place to do it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Post Parts for '70 Challenger T/A were tough to find

Parts for '70 Challenger T/A were tough to find

Walter Baker of Harrisville didn't really know what he had when he bought this 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A for $700 in 1981.

"I drove it for about six months and then decided to do the body over," he said. "But I ran out of time and I parked it for about 20 years." But Baker knew he had something special, even if he wasn't sure how special, so he finally called Todd Lewis of Xtreme Restorations in Slatersville, who told him he had one of the rarest Mopars in existence.

Only 2,399 T/A (Trans Am) models were made between March 10 and April 17, 1970, enough to cover qualifications for racing. Manufacturers were required to make some street versions of the cars they raced.

It's the sister car of the Plymouth AAR Cuda, though Barracudas and Challengers have different dimensions.

That spurred Baker, who owns a trucking company, to do a full-blown restoration that has produced a show car that he rarely drives.

First, he had to find a 340-Six Pack engine that powered all T/A models. "The person I bought the car from had put in a 318 automatic because he said his girlfriend had too many speeding tickets," Baker said. He found the drivetrain in Smithfield and spent years seeking out other parts.

They aren't that easy to find. "A lot of this stuff was available only in 1970," Baker said. And many of the items are exclusive to the T/A model. Baker paid a premium for a Fiberglas hood, for example, so that he could have the correct chrome pieces.

The 340-Six Pack is coupled with a four-speed transmission with a Pistol Grip shifter. It has dual side exhaust pipes in front of the rear wheels, which are larger than the front wheels so the pipes have road clearance. The rear springs are higher, also.

Disc brakes in front and 11-inch drum brakes in the rear were another T/A hallmark, as are the rear spoiler and the "whiskers" under the front bumper. Baker's Challenger has power steering and brakes, a Rallye dash and six-way driver's seat.

And then there's the color, one of Mopar's high-impact paints of the era. It's Go-Mango, called Vitamin C Orange on the Barracuda. "I love that color," Baker says. The special stripes are decals.

Because of the short building time, most T/As came out as factory cars. "You didn't really order them," Baker says.

In the course of the restoration, Baker bought a donor car and had so many parts that he has decided to build another T/A, a "tribute" car with modern running gear that he can drive whenever he wants. It will be Go-Mango, of course, and look much like the original, which is too valuable for everyday duty. "It has been appraised for $95,000, and I've been offered $120,000, but it's not for sale," he insists. In fact Baker, 67, says that his will states that the car must remain in the family.

Last July, Baker trailered the Challenger to the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, Pa., and won two trophies. He's not sure if he's going to Carlisle for the Nats next month, but if he does, he can see first-hand the concept model of the new Challenger that Dodge is certain to make next year.

Would he buy one?

"Well, I heard they're going to make the R/T model in the first year, and maybe a T/A in the second year," he said. Then he would have to persuade his wife to trade in the Chrysler 300-M.

And it would have to be in high-impact orange.

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION: 340-cubic-inch V8, three four-barrel carburetors; four-speed manual.

COLOR: Go-Mango Orange.

MILEAGE: 21,000 on odometer; about 20 on engine rebuild.

PLATE: MY-346

CAN BE SEEN:

CONDITION: Pristine restoration

Source: Rhode Island News
The Providence Journal
01:00 AM EDT on Saturday, June 24, 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 PM

Re: Parts for '70 Challenger T/A were tough to find

Cool story.
but if it were mine i would have done it in 'sublime'.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Re: Parts for '70 Challenger T/A were tough to find

I'm helping a friend of mine do a 70 T/A clone right now. as already stated in this thread, parts are not easy to come by. we have the 340 six pack ready to go (thank god!) and the fiberglass hood ($1,000.00), but we're still looking for a passenger side rally mirror. this car is going to be "Panther Pink," as he thinks it will look great parked next to his 70 Chally R/T 426 Hemi car (Plum Crazy.) If DCX builds a new Chally with T/A badges, is Dan Gurney gonna start up the Trans Am raceing series again????

Last edited by 71 bee; 07-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Classic Dodge Challenger Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode