California Exhaust Laws - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA Loud Exhaust Law:

Quote:
Originally Posted by navajo415 View Post
I have a mid muffler delete and got a ticket yesterday. I was cruising in sport mode in San Bruno and wasn't making noise or anything and a cop pulled up on me like I just killed someone or something. He made a big deal and made me turn my car on and rev it for him. I feel like I was targeted. Citation 27150a. I am putting my mufflers back on this Saturday and will pay the stupid ticket. Such BS.
Best thing to do to avoid getting pulled over is not to drive in sport mode. I think the ECO mode on a Scat Pack should be able to pass the new law's 95 decibel limit. I read that the fine can be as high as $1k plus reinstalling the factory exhaust system. There could be other fees as well as the car will have to be taken to a referee station for certification compliance. There is also a deadline to get your compliance certificate and go to court. If you are late, this could result in additional fines.
I wonder what all of the car hobbyist lobby groups & SEMA were doing when these laws were being proposed as well as the gas tax initiative. I never heard a single word from any of them and couldn't garner much interest in the topic at local C & C's that I have attended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,607 Times in 2,736 Posts
Garage
Yeah, they say it's meant to stop sideshows, and now they have a cash cow. It's like red light cameras...all about the money. Granted the law has always been 95db, but unless you were being obnoxious, they didn't get you for just that. And now it means you replace exhaust, no fixit ticket, etc. It's a damn shame for all those great sounding muscle cars.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (01-10-2019)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,346 Times in 2,561 Posts
Garage
It sounds like California is getting to be like Virginia.

any modifications - tint, lowered suspension, added on lighting, exhaust will get you in trouble there.

As related from a number of ex-Virginians that live in NC or SC have mentioned

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Holy crap this sucks. Hate it for you guys. I'm in NC and luckily here it's not like that yet.....and I hope it does not come to that here, or anywhere else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Garage
Sounds like something that was pushed in by some politicians who have $pecial agendas. No reasonable explanation for such a drastic new law other than it's a new year, new budget, and car enthusiasts are easy targets to shakedown in order to fill quotas.

It makes me remember I am fortunate to live in Saskatchewan. We're pretty laid back for the most part when it comes to to this kind of stuff. Unfortunately our neighbors in Manitoba aren't so lucky. To mbflatlander, I think laws like this in Canada and how they are enforced, are more of a provincial thing than federal. From what I've heard, Manitoba (Winnipeg in particular) is very hungry for motorist's money. More-so than other provinces.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (01-10-2019), mbflatlander (01-11-2019)
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Man it sounds like Kalifornia is trying very hard to kill all the fun stuff for everyone, Someone must have found out the cost for most of the cat back systems and figured if one can afford a $800+ exhaust they can afford the ticket, Easy money...

Brian
2010 Plum Crazy Challenger RT A5

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
CA Loud Exhaust Law:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Guy View Post
Man it sounds like Kalifornia is trying very hard to kill all the fun stuff for everyone, Someone must have found out the cost for most of the cat back systems and figured if one can afford a $800+ exhaust they can afford the ticket, Easy money...
I just read a little more about the new law. It doesn't say it is illegal to modify your exhaust although I wouldn't recommend removing your cats. As long as the decibel level of your exhaust is 95 & below you are good. You can ask for a re-test by going to court and taking your car to a referee station for testing. They will issue a certificate that your exhaust noise level is in compliance. The first offense fine is $25.00 plus court costs which will put the total a little over $200.00. The maximum fine is $1k after you have received several citations.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
It's not just the level in CA. The law explicitly states you are not allowed to remove or alter any emissions control device, nor modify the exhaust with the sole intention of making it louder. So muffler delete immediately fails that part. Using a louder muffler, that stays under the limit is something you might have to fight . Your only argument is that it makes the motor run better, therefore you did not do it solely to increase the sound.

Get it emissions tested, replace the muffler and hope that at least one thing went down. I'd try several stations and find one reading low...use that after the change

If you want to race, just drive 500 miles on a single tank first
The Following User Says Thank You to Lostviking For This Useful Post:
mbflatlander (01-11-2019)
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Yeah, they say it's meant to stop sideshows, and now they have a cash cow. It's like red light cameras...all about the money. Granted the law has always been 95db, but unless you were being obnoxious, they didn't get you for just that. And now it means you replace exhaust, no fixit ticket, etc. It's a damn shame for all those great sounding muscle cars.

A Guy

Red light cameras in my area have gone away. I routinely pass through 2 intersections my dash cam warns me about having traffic cameras installed and I know these were removed some few years back.

There are other intersections too I go through, albeit less often, that have lost the red light cameras.

Turns out there was not as much money in it as cities thought.

I don't think this exhaust law is for money. I think it is a way to nail side show participants without having to launch an invasion sized force of law enforcement officers followed by high speed chases that would result along with the need for good air (helicopter) support to bust up these side shows.

The show will be busted up by the appearance of some police/CHP cruisers. Participating cars will scatter like ****roaches when the light is turned on. A ways away on the known exit routes other officers will be lying in wait and while every car won't get pulled over the ones that do will get ticketed and fined and perhaps even get confiscated.

The word will get out.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostviking View Post
It's not just the level in CA. The law explicitly states you are not allowed to remove or alter any emissions control device, nor modify the exhaust with the sole intention of making it louder. So muffler delete immediately fails that part. Using a louder muffler, that stays under the limit is something you might have to fight . Your only argument is that it makes the motor run better, therefore you did not do it solely to increase the sound.

Get it emissions tested, replace the muffler and hope that at least one thing went down. I'd try several stations and find one reading low...use that after the change

Don't know about San Diego but up here in (near) the SF Bay Area smog stations no longer use the exhaust gas sniffer. The tech just plugs a computer into the OBD2 port which sucks out some data/status info and from this the car either passes or it doesn't.

Oh, there is also some kind of inspection but with my Boxster the tech never bothered to expose the engine -- takes some work and he probably didn't know how but I would have done it had he asked -- and with my Turbo even though the engine could be exposed by just opening the engine cover he never did that either.

I expect when it comes time to get my Hellcat and my JCW inspected/tested because the engines are both located in the front the tech will be a bit more thorough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode