California Exhaust Laws - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,594 Times in 2,728 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, the law is written as targeting the "sideshow" people, but when a factory Scat Pack gets pulled over and it is just an individual driving down the road, then they are taking advantage of the law to write a ticket. Ticket means money for everyone with fees and such. It may be because it's new, but time will tell.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 AM

Hi Guys

For what its worth here in the U.K the regulations state ....

With the sound meter horizontal, set the microphone height so that it is at the height of the exhaust outlet or eight inches from the ground, whichever is higher at an angle of 45 degrees to the exhaust outlet in the direction which gives the greatest distance between it and the vehicle contour at a distance of eighteen inches from the exhaust outlet, then with the vehicle at normal operating temperature, run the engine at 3⁄4 of its ‘maximum power’ speed, and note the sound level reading obtained, it must be below 99db

However the police never carry sound meters and during our inspection the noise fail criteria says "Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you'd expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition at 2500rpm"

I have never heard anyone failing inspection for noise or getting a ticket here for noise

Regards

Dereck
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:38 AM

Its not all good news over here - they do test. I remember a Subaru driver being fined and having to have his car inspected for having too loud an exhaust. But again, I don't understand Harleys - ear-hurting noise sometimes.

I can't find the one I remember, but

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...ined-1-1175813

And I think this is similar all over the country:

https://www.essex.police.uk/getmedia...t-Offences.pdf

I have had some loud exhausts, but not too loud - figure if I don't give an obvious reason to get noticed and pulled over, I might avoid it. Seems to have worked reasonably well so far - all though not for the cop who pulled my Lancia integrale over, seemign just for a look at it - told me off for having a dusty dash ;-)
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 AM

All the court dates and missed work would be ridiculous if the legal factory exhaust on a scat or newer R/T keeps getting you stopped.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
this also might have been brought on by the "tuner" imports with the "fart cannon" exhausts.

As many might recall, there was a recent poll about that. Those things are loud and droney...

back when in lived in SF, you could hear them driving by on side streets, coming up the road and if going up a hill even more so.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 AM

Looks like it won't affect '75 and older

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/cali...22rq5TNEi186zE
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Garage
California is desperate for a cash cow seeing that the political environment seems to be accepting of illegal immigration. That's going to cost a lot of money, so this exhaust law is a huge KA-CHING!!! for the state. If a cop really wants to be a jerk, 1 cop could easily generate 10K per day+++. I wont be driving my car much any more. It is loud if I drive it hard. But I don't drive it that way, but you can still tell that it COULD be loud. I will get a ticket for sure. I really enjoy my car at the dragstrip too much to neuter it. The 95 decibel law has in fact been here the whole time, but the fact that there was no monetary penalty for the infraction made it a waste of the officers time to pull one over just to issue a fix it ticket. Now that money is involved....watch out. Yes, I live in Southern California.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Yes, the law is written as targeting the "sideshow" people, but when a factory Scat Pack gets pulled over and it is just an individual driving down the road, then they are taking advantage of the law to write a ticket. Ticket means money for everyone with fees and such. It may be because it's new, but time will tell.

A Guy

CA ain't the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to intelligent government but if it was about money I would think the fine would be higher than the $25 figure I read. Even with fees (unless there is a court fee of say $1000) the state's not going to pay for illegal immigrant health care or other social welfare programs on the backs of Challenger owners with loud exhaust.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
Definitely not going to pay for the programs on just that. This is just one of the MANY ways they generate money to help pay for poor governing.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,594 Times in 2,728 Posts
Garage
I can't say what the law's original intent was, but by making a fine mandatory, it is about money. It will remain to be seen if the cops and HP don't calm down after a bit, and go back to "normal" (mind you again, the actual db levels and laws haven't changed, only the fine being mandatory). Any ticket they write now, they could conceivably have written before. The measurement of the db is specific, but the issuing of tickets isn't based on an actual measurement, it's up to the officers discretion. If the car will indeed pass the test ( http://wmfsyseng.dyndns.org/engenhar...EJ1169v002.pdf ), then the referee will certify as such. But the owner will have to go to court, and the referee and pass.

And yes while the fine isn't this $1000 guaranteed, it is dependent on how the cop writes it up, and as always, the fees are tacked on

Click image for larger version

Name:	r7bso1hk48hfqqk8yjcr.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	937359

$25 with all fees = $197

Assuming all these people up in arms and posting how they got busted, etc. are unusual in that this hasn't been happening all along, then the cops at least see a change, and are now ticketing when they didn't before. Something is causing that. Perhaps their superiors told them to concentrate on it for whatever reason. The cop in this video repeatedly says $1000, and that they have a dozen cops working on this

Again, what is the motivation if this is an individual riding down the road? That this individual will ultimately join a group for a takeover or street race? They may be trying to get the word out, so to speak.

A Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode