California Exhaust Laws - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Challenger Chat Lounge Come on in and visit with your friends... This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please ONLY post those threads within this section **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting stopped for exhaust violations is largely depended on how one chooses to drive the car.
I can't even imagine a stock scat pack being stopped for loud exhaust unless the driver is intentionally driving in a way to make noise.

For instance...
Yesterday I was stopped at a light in downtown Columbia, SC. I heard an exceptionally loud Mustang way before I saw it. It came from my right and powered hard through the intersection. I guessed that he was showing off towards my B5 SP. I wasn't impressed. I made my left turn and followed in heavy, dual lane traffic about 6 cars back. He continually revved it and you could have heard it 10 blocks back. Well, I looked in the mirror and saw a patrol car about 6 cars behind me. Oops! The cop didn't make any attempt to get through the traffic and we travelled through several traffic lights with the Mustang still showing off. Finally, the mustang turned right and when the cop got to that intersection, so did he, and lit it up.
So, this was a blatant case of stupidity in downtown traffic. I suspect a whole lot of people get themselves into messes just because they don't use their heads.

2016 Scat Pack - M6 - B5 Blue - SPAG - Leather Interior Group.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMac For This Useful Post:
2019 Widebody (01-17-2019), Bob Ricewasser (01-12-2019), Rob446 (01-12-2019), trippytro (01-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
Stupid behavior will get the cop's attention.

There are other things, too. Once in a while I'm stopped at a stop light and there's a police car or a CHP car positioned so I can observe the officer.

Invariably the officer's head swivels to pick up a real loud car or one all tricked out in special wheels or weird body parts or lowered or with garish paint, or at the other end of the spectrum a real beater of a car. If the driver does anything stupid he's going to get pulled over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
2019 Widebody (01-17-2019), trippytro (01-13-2019)
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
Last time I had an inspection was about 2014 I think. Couple new cars in a row, first time ever for me, and I've avoided the tax.

If you want to race, just drive 500 miles on a single tank first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbflatlander View Post
Anyone here effected by it? I'm curious how that applies to Challengers that are loud from factory?
It seems some cars pre 15 were fairly quiet for a V8 powerhouse?
Are you legally allowed to "upgrade" at all or are you required to keep it as the factory set-up regardless?
(upgrade with MOPAR pts. vs. aftermarket)

Well that didnt take long lol.
https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...t-noise-levels

[SIGPIC]
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM

They’ll continue to conduct “studies” until they get one that effectively shuts down cruise nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 SRT Granite Crystal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Dakota SLT
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
It sounds like California is getting to be like Virginia.

any modifications - tint, lowered suspension, added on lighting, exhaust will get you in trouble there.

As related from a number of ex-Virginians that live in NC or SC have mentioned
Our free country isn't so free any longer. They impose laws to project or as stated in another post to enforce the politicians agenda's. The price of freedom is tolerating certain things. Laws shouldn't come into play unless some could be physically/emotionally hurt by someone else. I don't think loud exhaust and tinted windows is going to hurt anyone. They pick on tint because it doesn't allow cops to see into your car, which I think kind of infringes on the privacy rights. Regarding establishing laws to protect, some are to protect people from themselves, and it's typically for reckless people. And lets face it, that relates back to the survival of the fittest. Dumb enough to take risks then you pay the consequences. Freedom isn't always safe, doesn't mean it should be removed.

I wonder if the people in these states can start protesting things laws to get them removed?
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,581 Times in 2,717 Posts
Garage
Many cities already have posted no cruising signs and laws. Basically no passing the same point in a certain time period, such as 2 hours. If it's the city center, I can understand, but many were long empty stretches with everyone turning around at either end. It's been a long time, but it was just see and be seen, rarely anyone burning rubber or racing. Engine revving sure, but it was peaceful and rarely any trouble.

Sideshows are not cruising, people doing doughnuts with people hanging out windows and doors, people in the middle, shootings, etc. Oh well...Get off my lawn!

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 AM

California Exhaust Laws

“The whole strip is shrinking. I remember, about five years ago, take you a couple of hours and a tank full of gas just to make one circuit. It was really somethin’”. -John Milner, American Graffiti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
Our free country isn't so free any longer. They impose laws to project or as stated in another post to enforce the politicians agenda's. The price of freedom is tolerating certain things. Laws shouldn't come into play unless some could be physically/emotionally hurt by someone else. I don't think loud exhaust and tinted windows is going to hurt anyone. They pick on tint because it doesn't allow cops to see into your car, which I think kind of infringes on the privacy rights. Regarding establishing laws to protect, some are to protect people from themselves, and it's typically for reckless people. And lets face it, that relates back to the survival of the fittest. Dumb enough to take risks then you pay the consequences. Freedom isn't always safe, doesn't mean it should be removed.

I wonder if the people in these states can start protesting things laws to get them removed?
Actually it is getting more free in my area. The cops stop chasing you for speeding and just send you a ticket with a picture of your plate. No more "fleeing and Alluding" charges for me and no more points going on my license since the ticket goes to the car owner and not the driver, there are no points. Makes me feel like I can drive however fast I want, I just "pay a fee" to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Julian For This Useful Post:
mbflatlander (01-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Challenger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode